Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sabunim5 View Post
    "We're hoping some of this will resolve a lingering idle variation problem. "

I'm sorry to say that I had both updates and they did not cure the idle variation problem. At first I thought so, but as I got more miles I noticed my Spyder still did it. It has never been an all the time thing, but often enough that I worried about my inexperienced wife driving the Spyder. For an experienced rider it is only a minor irritation, not a real danger. For a rookie however, high idle can be problematic. I think my Spyder and Nancy's had the same problem. The idle wants to wander in the 1700 rpm range rather than the 1400 rpm range. It will eventually calm down to the 1400 "normal" range, but it takes way longer to do it than it should to get there.
    Nancy's has been unpredictable, except that it is worse after a hot start. Idle hangs from 1,800-3,700 rpm! Averages about 2,200 rpm. I worry about her, too, under those conditions. I even worry about me, sometimes. It may vary a bit, but will not return to 1,400 rpm until completely stopped. My suspicion is an electronic problem, but I am hopeful that this will at least make it less severe. Need some miles to find out. Hope you get your steering sorted out soon. Isn't it the pits to live in a state without a lemon law that includes motorcycles?
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Isn't it the pits to live in a state without a lemon law that includes motorcycles?

It is for me. 4 months and counting without our Spyders.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    It is for me. 4 months and counting without our Spyders.
    I understand. I am reluctant to even contact you, due to your ongoing problems. I didn't want to stir up unwanted thoughts of Spyders. You and Deb are in our thoughts every day, though. Hope you get some resolution to your problems soon...or at least some movement in the right direction. I don't think I could hold my temper as well as you guys. You may well be the nicest people I have ever, ever known!
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Nah...... if it is in on Monday it should be before 2 weeks. If it arrives Monday, I'd be on the horn w/ the dealer demanding he put it in once he gets it. Your Spyder has been there long enough. Only takes a day to test ride the thing! This is when being firm comes in handy. If that doesn't work it is time to yell.

Quote Originally Posted by stgilmer View Post
    Update:: Found out that the GPS has arrived but they are not going to put anybody on it until Monday. Then they will do alot of riding to see if they get any codes or funny feeling in the steering before I go get it. So maybe another hmm..2 weeks maybe. Not too bad, nice round number (12 weeks).

Spyder Garage

or time to call the lawyer

Quote Originally Posted by HDXBONES View Post
    Think I'd find out what Mike Cox has to say about that......

http://www.michigan.gov/ag/0,1607,7-...337---,00.html

Spyder Garage

Think I'd find out what Mike Cox has to say about that......

http://www.michigan.gov/ag/0,1607,7-...337---,00.html
    Sorry, Michigan's lemon law does not cover motorcycles. Only 22 states do.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    Sorry, but having a tire blow out has nothing to do with KNOWN mechanical issues. My Spyder is down due to DEFECTIVE parts, not some random incident. And to watch a second DPS being installed and still not be correct means BRP has NO IDEA what is causing the failures. I have been riding bikes since the age of 16 and am now 48, so I have way more than enough experience to handle most issues. I have had front and rear blow-outs while riding on 2 wheels, but they did not SCARE me as much as a machine taking control of the steering and not letting me do the driving. I realize its isolated to a few Sypders, but that has ZERO comfort for those that have experienced this. To have 2 other people that I was riding with be able to tell just from observig at a distance that my Spyder was acting up lets me know that it was as bad, or worse than it felt to me. Sorry to those that dont agree with me, but I take this issue personally and will be persuing all avenues to insure BRP corrects this issue and it doesnt become a " change out the part" type of a fix. With the Spyders coming out the beginning of 08, and it now being 2010, that should have been enough time for R&D to find the cause of the failures.
    I was one of the early ones to have the steering problem - and a new GPS sensor fixed the problems. While I continued to ride my Spyder after I first had the steering problems - that probably isn't a good idea for those that know for sure they have the steering problem.

For those that don't have it - I really don't think they need to be worried every time they ride - but they should be prepared for such an incident - just like you should for various other problems that can arise when riding any bike.

The manual has emergency stop procedures that everyone should be familiar with and practice on a low-volume road. If your steering suddenly acts up where you can no longer control the bike - hitting the kill switch should give you steering control back as the PS will shut down. At any decent speed above 40 you really can't feel the DPS helping much and I think it's pretty much off at highway speeds - so steering with the bike shut off should be fairly easy.

I would say be prepared--- but not paranoid.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

My 2010 SM5 Spyder is on order and I'm waiting for delivery, I hope it to be here by the first of first of Feb - time will tell.

I am VERY interested to know if this statement is correct:

The manual has emergency stop procedures that everyone should be familiar with and practice on a low-volume road. If your steering suddenly acts up where you can no longer control the bike - hitting the kill switch should give you steering control back as the PS will shut down.
    Can anyone absolutely confirm this to be true?
    Thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by groundeffect View Post
    My 2010 SM5 Spyder is on order and I'm waiting for delivery, I hope it to be here by the first of first of Feb - time will tell.

Thanks

Don't forget the clutch when you hit the kill switch.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Smylinacha View Post
    Nah...... if it is in on Monday it should be before 2 weeks. If it arrives Monday, I'd be on the horn w/ the dealer demanding he put it in once he gets it. Your Spyder has been there long enough. Only takes a day to test ride the thing! This is when being firm comes in handy. If that doesn't work it is time to yell.
    I'm not the yelling type, takes a bit to get me to that point...You can be my designated Yeller

sHANE

2008 SM5 Full Moon
    6 Spoke rims with wheel trim kit, Hindle exhaust, F1 EVO Slide windshield,
    Evoluzione Swaybar, Anti-vibe bar weights, 1" brp riser, Spider anti-vibe grips, Pyle series speakers w/200 watt amp.
    SPYDER OWNER

Way2Fast

Quote Originally Posted by Smylinacha View Post

Anything longer than a day for test riding and I'd be concerned that they turned the Spyder into a "demo" and are beating the sheet out of it. Something I sure wouldn't want my ride to be subject too !!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by groundeffect View Post

Thanks
    Did I give some impression that I was just pulling this out of my posterior?

You can download owner manuals from the BRP website if you choose not to believe me.

Owners manual under "Safe Operating Instructions"

"Required Riding Skills and Practice Exercises".
    Pages 37-46.

Page 39 in particular discusses using the kill switch.

3) Engine Stopwhile inMotion

Purpose
    – Become familiar with using the engine stop switch when in motion so
    you know how the vehicle will react if you need to use it later.

Directions
    – Partway down the straightaway, while operating in the friction zone,
    turn the engine stop switch to OFF and coast to a stop.

– Restart the engine and repeat the exercise. Try releasing the clutch
    farther and moving a little faster before using the engine stop switch.

– Restart the engine and proceed to the next exercise.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Unhappy

UPDATE FROM DEALER:
    New Dps has been in for about 2 weeks now. But it was throwing check dps. BRP told them to then change the SAS Steering Angle Sensor, that was put in this past monday. Got a call a few minutes ago letting me know that with the DPS,SAS, and steering alignment done, it is still throwing the code. They are at a dead end, obviously BRP doesn't know what to do.

Total time in the shop: 11 weeks.
    sHANE

2008 SM5 Full Moon
    Evoluzione Swaybar, Anti-vibe bar weights, 1" brp riser, Spider anti-vibe grips, Pyle series speakers w/200 watt amp.
    SPYDER OWNER

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

UPDATE FROM DEALER:
    New Dps has been in for about 2 weeks now. But it was throwing check dps. BRP told them to then change the SAS Steering Angle Sensor, that was put in this past monday. Got a call a few minutes ago letting me know that with the DPS,SAS, and steering alignment done, it is still throwing the code. They are at a dead end, obviously BRP doesn't know what to do.

Total time in the shop: 11 weeks.
    have they tried the IDHAC sensor???? I DONT HAVE A CLUE?

SERIOUSLY, sorry for ur troubles im sure its waaaay frustrating

Spyder Garage

Question

Quote Originally Posted by aubierules View Post
    have they tried the IDHAC sensor???? I DONT HAVE A CLUE?
    I think that is what they have been doing the whole time.Doesn't seem that nobody has a clue.
    Last edited by stgilmer; 01-28-2010 at 08:36 AM.
    sHANE

2008 SM5 Full Moon
    SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Thanks HDXBONES but I have already checked that out. Called the Governors office and spoke to the Sec. / was told that motorcycles are not covered in GA lemon laws.
    sHANE

2008 SM5 Full Moon
    SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

vicious, nasty, pit bull attorney
    Might have to go that route, its WAY past ridiculous!
    sHANE

2008 SM5 Full Moon
    SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

That's the route I'd be taking. I'm sorry this is happening to you.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

SELL!

FOUR MONTHS and this? I think it is time to stick a fork in it, and call it done.

Spyder Garage

If everyone who had this steering issue would report it, they would be forced to do a recall, but not many are filling out a report. They are just buying time by replacing parts as the people that have it done report it as fixed, but I feel in time they or some will experience the same problem. Steering wasn't an issue right away. We DESERVE are true fix not a bandaid

Spyder Garage

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by czdaryle View Post
    If everyone who had this steering issue would report it, they would be forced to do a recall, but not many are filling out a report.
    I agree with you and have filed a report myself. But I don't think it will go into another recall, from what Carlo was saying was that it is under the first recall being that it was for the steering.
    He also said that the tech investigators are hoping to have all of the investigating wrapped up in the next 2 weeks and to have a permanent solution.
    So to all that have had theirs fixed and given back PLEASE be careful if you get out on them. Him telling me that says that those fixed and given back were pretty much temped for the time being.
    sHANE

2008 SM5 Full Moon
    SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Question

UPDATE:: This thursday will be 12 weeks in the shop.

So far a new DPS,new SAS,zeroed out steering and alignment done. Got a call from dealer today saying it is still throwing Check DPS. Now they are to put another DPS in.
    Last edited by stgilmer; 01-26-2010 at 03:35 PM.
    sHANE

2008 SM5 Full Moon
    SPYDER OWNER

God's Country, Keystone Heights, FL "Happy Owner"
    Spyder Garage

Default I'm going to ask a...

seemingly dumb question about the computer throwing dps codes. Has anyone tried disconnecting the battery for a few minutes to see if the code would clear?

I have a very good reason for asking this... and it is... had a real computer throwing codes a while back and could not find the problem. Unplugged it for a couple of hours and yep you guessed it... no more problems.

I'm not saying this would apply here but anything is worth a try because you can't ride it with it in the shop all the time. Hope it works for you too! /ken
    Ken krb1945 "Happy Owner"
    USN DAV 100% 'er
    Proud grandfather of a former United States Marine
    1 2008 SM5 PE 548
    1 2008 SM5, 1 2009 SE5
    2008 GL1800

Spyder Garage

UPDATE:: This thursday will be 12 weeks in the shop.

So far a new DPS,new SAS,zeroed out steering and alignment done. Got a call from dealer today saying it is still throwing Check DPS. Now they are to put another DPS in.
    12 weeks! 12 frigging weeks!

You are a far better person than I would be after 12 weeks. This long and I'd have had Carlos as$ or somebody's as$ from BRP on my wall as a trophy.

It's 2010 for crying out loud! 12 weeks is just not right for anything, we are not in the stone ages here.

So, next question? Are they going to extend your warranty an extra 3 months to cover the time it sat in the shop?

MM
    Last edited by Magic Man; 01-26-2010 at 05:15 PM.
    [URL="http://www.esicycleproducts.com/"]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Man View Post
    12 weeks! 12 weeks!

You are a far better person than I would be after 12 weeks I'd have Carlos as$ on my wall as a trophy.

MM
    He said everything is going to be ok....
    sHANE

2008 SM5 Full Moon
    SPYDER OWNER