Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Smylinacha View Post
    Do you like your dealer?
    Yeah, I haven't had any problems from them, they are just at the mercy of not doing anything til brp gives the ok. Why do you ask? Just wondering if I had a ok dealer?

UPDATE:Talked to brp rep this morning, he said my tech file had that right now the wait is for the GPS to be put in to see if it will reset the dps. If that doesn't work he said that the dealer would then put another dps in.
    sHANE

2008 SM5 Full Moon
    6 Spoke rims with wheel trim kit, Hindle exhaust, F1 EVO Slide windshield,
    Evoluzione Swaybar, Anti-vibe bar weights, 1" brp riser, Spider anti-vibe grips, Pyle series speakers w/200 watt amp.
    SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jabba11 View Post
    ... Again I say the chances of you being killed by some other idiot in a car are a lot higher than having your DPS cause you to have an accident.
    That shpuld be rephrased "the chances of you being killed by some other idiot in a car are a lot higher WHEN having your DPS cause you to have an accident.

It's really no fun to ryde your Spyder trying always to leave yourself at least 2 outs, and come upon situations where you know if the steering locks up you WLL hit something and you are SOL. - Or hoping to God it doesn't lock as you are doing 70 or 80mph on the freeway in heavy traffic.

But hey, don't worry, it's just a "few" Spyders that it's occuring to- and it's only the ones that were 2008 or 2009 models so far, and it's only happened to the shifting and semi-automatic models, and it only happens to models that have between zero and 62K....

no problemo!
    Happier Spyder Owner

Fairly happy 08 YELLOW SE5

Way2Fast

Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    Sorry, but having a tire blow out has nothing to do with KNOWN mechanical issues. My Spyder is down due to DEFECTIVE parts, not some random incident. And to watch a second DPS being installed and still not be correct means BRP has NO IDEA what is causing the failures. I have been riding bikes since the age of 16 and am now 48, so I have way more than enough experience to handle most issues. I have had front and rear blow-outs while riding on 2 wheels, but they did not SCARE me as much as a machine taking control of the steering and not letting me do the driving. I realize its isolated to a few Sypders, but that has ZERO comfort for those that have experienced this. To have 2 other people that I was riding with be able to tell just from observig at a distance that my Spyder was acting up lets me know that it was as bad, or worse than it felt to me. Sorry to those that dont agree with me, but I take this issue personally and will be persuing all avenues to insure BRP corrects this issue and it doesnt become a " change out the part" type of a fix. With the Spyders coming out the beginning of 08, and it now being 2010, that should have been enough time for R&D to find the cause of the failures.
    I'm in 100% agreement with your post. I also have been riding 2 wheel bikes for quite some time....since 1967...and have experienced one bad accident and many close calls. However since my Spyders steering developed a mind of it's own, the only bike that I am actually afraid to ride is my Spyder. I have the feeling that at any time the Spyder might again take control and insist on doing the driving for me. This, I don't feel comfortable with ! I intend to be at Daytona Bike Week next spring and carry a sign right in front of the BRP exhibit to let as many potential customers as possible know about the dangerous tendencies of this machine. I know I won't recoupe my loss on the dangerous POS, but maybe I can prevent others from purchasing one !!

Spyder Garage

Yeah, just wondering. Do they offer an opinion to what they think might be going on? Weren't they the ones that said there's dust in it so just leave the DPS in for now and see what happens? That would not be acceptable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by stgilmer View Post
    Yeah, I haven't had any problems from them, they are just at the mercy of not doing anything til brp gives the ok. Why do you ask? Just wondering if I had a ok dealer?

UPDATE:Talked to brp rep this morning, he said my tech file had that right now the wait is for the GPS to be put in to see if it will reset the dps. If that doesn't work he said that the dealer would then put another dps in.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Every now and then my steering comes up to bite me [before/after the RECALL] I hope it doesn't bite somebody when they're trying to hit that magical 130. But then who's fault would that be?
    I'm waiting for a permanent fix, until then I'll be ready if it bites again
    The DPS relies on everything to be set correctly, if anything is incorrect when the dealer either changes out the DPS or does the update, it may not cure your issue. If your Spyder still has a problem, you should return it to the dealer and have them contact BRP for assistance. One note for those of us that are playing with electrical mods... lights, radio, heated vets etc. Remember that everything electrical gets it's power from the battery, if you are over-taxing the battery then you may not be supplying enough current/amps to the desired components. If your Spyder has been sitting be sure the battery is fully charged before you ryde also check that the cables are tight (on the battery & solenoid). Hope this helps!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Way2Fast View Post
    I'm in 100% agreement with your post. I also have been riding 2 wheel bikes for quite some time....since 1967...and have experienced one bad accident and many close calls. However since my Spyders steering developed a mind of it's own, the only bike that I am actually afraid to ride is my Spyder. I have the feeling that at any time the Spyder might again take control and insist on doing the driving for me. This, I don't feel comfortable with ! I intend to be at Daytona Bike Week next spring and carry a sign right in front of the BRP exhibit to let as many potential customers as possible know about the dangerous tendencies of this machine. I know I won't recoupe my loss on the dangerous POS, but maybe I can prevent others from purchasing one !!
    If you are still having an issue with your Spyder you might want to try another dealer if your current dealer cannot fix yours... Hope you get it fixed!!!
    Last edited by Spyder Guru; 01-05-2010 at 04:07 PM. Reason: poor wording...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Angry

Originally Posted by Way2Fast
    I'm in 100% agreement with your post. I also have been riding 2 wheel bikes for quite some time....since 1967...and have experienced one bad accident and many close calls. However since my Spyders steering developed a mind of it's own, the only bike that I am actually afraid to ride is my Spyder. I have the feeling that at any time the Spyder might again take control and insist on doing the driving for me. This, I don't feel comfortable with ! I intend to be at Daytona Bike Week next spring and carry a sign right in front of the BRP exhibit to let as many potential customers as possible know about the dangerous tendencies of this machine. I know I won't recoupe my loss on the dangerous POS, but maybe I can prevent others from purchasing one !! with you 100%

Spyder Garage

Yeah, just wondering. Do they offer an opinion to what they think might be going on? Weren't they the ones that said there's dust in it so just leave the DPS in for now and see what happens? That would not be acceptable to me.

Yeah I like the dealer, one of the most honest dealerships I have came across. No, they weren't the one that said that about the dust, that was CARLO!
    sHANE

2008 SM5 Full Moon
    Evoluzione Swaybar, Anti-vibe bar weights, 1" brp riser, Spider anti-vibe grips, Pyle series speakers w/200 watt amp.
    SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Yeah I like the dealer, one of the most honest dealerships I have came across. No, they weren't the one that said that about the dust, that was CARLO!
    Well I'd tell Carlo what he can do w/ the dust then - Jeez! That was the DUMBEST thing I have ever heard someone telling a customer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Guru View Post
    If you are still having an issue with your Spyder you might want to try another dealer if your current dealer cannot fix yours... Hope you get it fixed!!!
    Wrong, most of the time its not the dealers fault, in a case like this they don't know what to do. If brp, the one that built this unit doesn't know what to do, how can you expect the dealer to know any more than they do.
    sHANE

2008 SM5 Full Moon
    SPYDER OWNER

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Wrong, most of the time its not the dealers fault, in a case like this they don't know what to do. If brp, the one that built this unit doesn't know what to do, how can you expect the dealer to know any more than they do.
    I agree. My dealer has been awesome to work with. Its not a dealer problem, but its a manufacturer problem.

Spyder Garage

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s02s30PAkog[/ame]

Maybe we should go this route, wonder if it has power steering.
    sHANE

2008 SM5 Full Moon
    SPYDER OWNER

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Well I'd tell Carlo what he can do w/ the dust then - Jeez! That was the DUMBEST thing I have ever heard someone telling a customer.
    Maybe Carlo could give us all a box of Swiffers

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jabba11 View Post
    WHile I can understand the problems people are having are serious its easy to forget that ANY part can fail at anytime on any machine. I mean realistically if we all had two wheelers a tire can blow out at speed at anytime and if you have experienced that before you know that that can be a very serious situation. So perhaps none of us should drive a motorcycle until someone can develop a tire that doesnt blow out etc etc etc. While we defintely want to see BRP work the issue lets not forget that it doesnt at this point seem to affect every SPyder. Again I say the chances of you being killed by some other idiot in a car are a lot higher than having your DPS cause you to have an accident.
    AMEN bro

3WD
    Today is a good day to ride!
    owner!

[x]- Gun rack
    [x]- Helmet-mounted fire extingusher and DPS deactivation hammer
    [x]- Large print (senior version) safety card

Spyder Garage

Nope, they shouldn't be that sensitive. If I was in Customer Service and my manager told me to tell a customer something so dumb, I'd quit.

I was speechless when he told me that. It was the most sorry excuse I have ever heard. If that is the case, then that says that they made the spyder WAY too sensitive to be a motorcycle. Motorcycles shouldn't be that sensitive, they are more out in the elements than cars.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddog2 View Post
    Maybe Carlo could give us all a box of Swiffers
    Remember I've got a buttload of them! Thanks to JEuchler! See, I got your back Roaddog!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK WIDOW View Post
    Yes, but the operative word here is RECALL.

Michael
    good point

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default New guy, old question

I have been reading with great interest the comments in this thread. Last week I experienced the steering problem described in the steering recall notice. I was doing 70ish in the I-95 HOV lane on my daily commute when I noticed a slight right drift. When I attempted to correct, it took extra effort to "push through" and once through, had to quickly correct the over-correction. Issue continued for the next 20 miles. Had the Spyder towed to the dealer who told me the part was on order. Funny thing is, I thought I had the recall repair completed during my last service in August. My Spyder has 7800 miles since purchased last March. Now I think we all agree that we have a problem, but as a former post-maintenance test pilot on Cobra Helicopters, I can tell you what control interference feels like and this is it. The only additional piece of information I can offer is that BRP has a DPS recall out on its 2010 ATV line as well. http://www.can-am.brp.com/en-US/owner-center/recall-information/12.04.09%282%29.htm Looks like we may soon have enough participants for a class action lawsuit if we don't get a quick resolution that builds our confidence in our investment. Anyone know a good lawyer? Sorry for the long first entry.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by CobraDriver View Post
    I have been reading with great interest the comments in this thread. Last week I experienced the steering problem described in the steering recall notice. I was doing 70ish in the I-95 HOV lane on my daily commute when I noticed a slight right drift. When I attempted to correct, it took extra effort to "push through" and once through, had to quickly correct the over-correction. Issue continued for the next 20 miles. Had the Spyder towed to the dealer who told me the part was on order. Funny thing is, I thought I had the recall repair completed during my last service in August. My Spyder has 7800 miles since purchased last March. Now I think we all agree that we have a problem, but as a former post-maintenance test pilot on Cobra Helicopters, I can tell you what control interference feels like and this is it. The only additional piece of information I can offer is that BRP has a DPS recall out on its 2010 ATV line as well. http://www.can-am.brp.com/en-US/owner-center/recall-information/12.04.09%282%29.htm Looks like we may soon have enough participants for a class action lawsuit if we don't get a quick resolution that builds our confidence in our investment. Anyone know a good lawyer? Sorry for the long first entry.
    welcomeWaiting myself

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default hell of a first post

Howdy, this whole thing reminds me a lot of when the GL1800 first came out. Im sure some of you remember that several had the frames break, and it took good old Honda a while to get around to fix as well. Or, hell BMW still refuses to admit there is any issue with the final drive.

I do believe they are working on a fix, but it takes time and repeatablity. They all have problems, lets just hope brp gets the issue fixed soon.

Oh, and no I am not a spyder rider yet, the wife and I are considering a RT however.

Lou

Spyder Garage

welcome

Spyder Garage

I'm getting nervous that there might not be a fix for this that is financially sound for BRP to do. I do not know much about bikes but you can't tell me if this is most important on there list, which I assume it is because of potential lawsuits, that they have not figured out the cause. THis has been going on for 6 mths. If you had 6 mths to work 8 hrs a day on this don't you think you would know the cause

Spyder Garage

Default Frame

Quote Originally Posted by biglou View Post
    Howdy, this whole thing reminds me a lot of when the GL1800 first came out. Im sure some of you remember that several had the frames break, and it took good old Honda a while to get around to fix as well. Or, hell BMW still refuses to admit there is any issue with the final drive.

I do believe they are working on a fix, but it takes time and repeatablity. They all have problems, lets just hope brp gets the issue fixed soon.

Oh, and no I am not a spyder rider yet, the wife and I are considering a RT however.

Lou
    Yes, I own one of those GL 1800 Wings. They did recall (with only a couple of cases of confirmed problems) and fixed the problem. I have put many trouble free miles on since, with complete confidence in the machine. I just hope I can say the same for the Spyder. I have a feeling that they will do the right thing---as soon as they know what that is.

Michael

WE DON'T QUIT PLAYING BECAUSE WE GROW OLD; WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE QUIT PLAYING

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK WIDOW View Post
    Yes, I own one of those GL 1800 Wings. They did recall (with only a couple of cases of confirmed problems) and fixed the problem. I have put many trouble free miles on since, with complete confidence in the machine. I just hope I can say the same for the Spyder. I have a feeling that they will do the right thing---as soon as they know what that is.

Michael
    There were way more than a couple, more like 36,000+
    http://www.automotix.net/autorepair/.../honda-gl1800/

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/s...1&postcount=28

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/rewelds

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

yup, i know they recalled them, I had a 2001 yellowwing. However I didnt get my recall notice till 2003, about a month after I sold it lol.