Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question #59 query

+Thanks for the feedback, Irish.

I still need to know what's wrong with my #59 contested submission, please.

http://www.roadkillonline.net/imaged...s/35_10003.JPG

Why does the image not satisfy the county border crossing?

Ride on.
    Roadkill
    2008 GS Roadster , Roadster Red

Spyder Garage

Updated Google Docs with my photos dated 1/21.

Spyder Garage

Post RK updates

+Here are my newest presentations in chronological order from sojourns over the past two days:

(#94 +25) 1966 Volkswagen Microbus, "The Original MiniVan"
    http://www.roadkillonline.net/imaged...s/35_10017.JPG

(#57 +50) Village of Monroe, NY
    http://www.roadkillonline.net/imaged...s/35_10018.JPG

(#7 +25) Nearly 50 years ago as a small boy, I played on/in this F86 Sabre Jet at Airplane Park, Monroe, and it's still there today.
    http://www.roadkillonline.net/imaged...s/35_10019.JPG

(NO POINTS) The Castle. (I'll recapture in daylight hours with the bike nearer to the structures and resubmit as castle or theme park as appropriate.)
    http://www.roadkillonline.net/imaged...s/35_10020.JPG

(The following replaces my NYS Submariners Memorial submission)
    (#46 +25) Orange Blossoms Civil War Monument to the 124th New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment, Goshen, NY. Upper plaque reads, "Erected by Hon. Thomas W. Bradley, M.C. in memory of his comrades of the 124th New York Infantry who died in the service of their country. Presented by Colonel Charles H. Weygant in the name of the donor and of the regiment to the people of Orange County. Accepted for the people by John J.E. Harrison, Chairman of the Board of Supervisors of Orange County and by Captain Robert B. Hock, President of the village of Goshen, September 5, 1907. Stand by the flag! Immortal heroes bore it through sulphurous smoke, deep moat, and armed defence: and their imperial shades still hover o'er it a guard celestial from omnipotence." Lower plaques (4 sides of the base) indicate the names of the honored who "Died for the Union" from Company A, Company B, Company C, Company D, Company E, Company F, Company G, Company H, Company I, Company K.
    http://www.roadkillonline.net/imaged...s/35_10021.JPG

(#17 +50) Orange County Government Center. Brutalist 1963 design, built in 1967, by noted architect and dean of the Yale School of Architecture Paul Rudolph, known for his cubist building designs and highly complex floor plans.
    http://www.roadkillonline.net/imaged...s/35_10022.JPG

(#61 +100) Horse hitching post in front of a c.1700s home a block away from the Hall of Fame of the Trotter.
    http://www.roadkillonline.net/imaged...s/35_10023.JPG

>click<

Ride on.
    Roadkill

Spyder Garage

Exclamation Rule clarification

+I'm hoping there is going to be a flood of people participating as the weather warms, and am happy to help in understanding expectations as they start to capture their own images.

Are we permitted ongoing multiple presentations of an item for cumulative points?

I wouldn't have expected it, but will start capturing more images if that's the case. Everyone expecting to participate, and those already doing so, need to understand this, as many will presume you can only credit an item once toward your cumulative total points.

Ride on.
    Roadkill

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by powerbyaj View Post
    Updated Google Docs with my photos.
    #32 NO POINTS...this is a sign and not a symbol
    #74 NO POINTS...this is a carved statue and not a totem pole
    In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God. God looked down upon Ireland and said "Damn, I'm good!"

2009 POW*MIA SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roadkill View Post
    +Thanks for the feedback, Irish.

I still need to know what's wrong with my #59 contested submission, please.

http://www.roadkillonline.net/imaged...s/35_10003.JPG

Why does the image not satisfy the county border crossing?

Ride on.
    Roadkill
    Requirement is for an INTERNATIONAL border crossing
    In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God. God looked down upon Ireland and said "Damn, I'm good!"

2009 POW*MIA SE5

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by irish2themax View Post
    Requirement is for an INTERNATIONAL border crossing
    #26 is listed as International Border crossing.

#59 is listed as County or Regional Border crossing.
    Happy 2009 Roadster Red SM5 Owner
    Two Brothers Dual Exhaust w/P1X Tips | Two Brothers Juice Box | KewlMetal Intake | Amber Fender Tip Lights | Fog Lights | SilverStar Headlights | Trunk Liner | 12v Acc. Plug | BRP Comfort Seat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by j45p3r View Post
    #26 is listed as International Border crossing.

#59 is listed as County or Regional Border crossing.
    My bad...error in my spreadsheet. Points credited
    Last edited by irish2themax; 01-22-2010 at 08:52 AM.

2009 POW*MIA SE5

Spyder Garage

#32 NO POINTS...this is a sign and not a symbol
    #74 NO POINTS...this is a carved statue and not a totem pole
    #32 The Wingfoot symbol for goodyear tire falls between words good and year.
    #74 changed to #33 Larger then life statue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roadkill View Post
    +I'm hoping there is going to be a flood of people participating as the weather warms, and am happy to help in understanding expectations as they start to capture their own images.

Are we permitted ongoing multiple presentations of an item for cumulative points?

I wouldn't have expected it, but will start capturing more images if that's the case. Everyone expecting to participate, and those already doing so, need to understand this, as many will presume you can only credit an item once toward your cumulative total points.

Ride on.
    Roadkill
    Roadkill,

Irish answered this in Post #12 of this thread: Originally Posted by truck 85
    can you get credit for the same idem # more than once as long as it is a different place
    No...only item #3 can be duplicated

Hope this helps; really enjoying your finds and travelogue! Keep up the good work...
    Happy 2010 Orbital Blue Spyder RT-S Owner
    TricLED Vader Lightswith Blue Tunnel Lights Option, Aqua Glo-Ryders, TricLED Fender Lights, TricLED Invisible Brake/Running Lights, TricLED Trunk Light.

Spyder Garage

GOOD NEWS!! I would like to express our sincere appreciation to Matt Mrdeza from KewlMetal who is donating a $100 Gift Certificate as a contest prize.

Come on Sponsors...kick in! Gift certificates would be PERFECT!
    Last edited by irish2themax; 01-23-2010 at 11:49 AM.

2009 POW*MIA SE5

Spyder Garage

#32 The Wingfoot symbol for goodyear tire falls between words good and year.
    #74 changed to #33 Larger then life statue
    Sorry...I'm looking for a "symbol" and not a "logo". There are millions of signs with logos...that's too easy

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/BRIANK%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/BRIANK%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG]

2009 POW*MIA SE5

Spyder Garage

Another fun lunchtime excursion:

All at: http://docs.google.com/View?id=drj3v57_02njjzfj5

8. Sitting in Military Aircraft, a CH-34 Choctaw at the Stinson Field Branch of the Texas Air Museum.
    19. In front of an Airport, Stinson Municipal Airport, San Antonio, Texas
    29. At a National Park, the San Antonio Missions National Historical Park
    35. At a Castle. This one is anonymous, I just happened upon it by chance on my ride today. No clue why it's in San Antonio, but it wasn't open to visitors.
    40. Drive-in Theater. The Missions 4 Outdoor Theater. Only one working screen remaining, but no regular schedule.
    60. In front of a sign with my last name. Sometimes it's good to be named Washington!

A long way to go, but I'm enjoying the ride...
    TricLED Vader Lightswith Blue Tunnel Lights Option, Aqua Glo-Ryders, TricLED Fender Lights, TricLED Invisible Brake/Running Lights, TricLED Trunk Light.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up item duplications

Quote Originally Posted by Brevet05 View Post
    Roadkill,
    Irish answered this in Post #12 of this thread ...only item #3 can be duplicated
    +Thanks for the pointer (& the kind words), Brevet. I'd missed it as I scanned the earlier posts.

Ride on.
    Roadkill

Spyder Garage

Default RK update 012210

+On the way home today, I was able to capture an O&W Train mural in Bloomingburg, NY. The nearby (now defunct) tunnel through which the (now defunct) O&W once coursed under the Shawangunk Range still "stands", in extremely hazardous disrepair. (Mural by Joe Marino, of Joe Marino Design.)
    http://www.roadkillonline.net/imaged...s/35_10024.JPG

Spyder Garage

Updated Google docs to help checker verify pictures faster using Brevet05 style.

Spyder Garage

Would visit to link location satisfy a castle?
    http://www.rubelcastle.com/

I know this is a foot bridge but will it pass for "other than normal bridge". Its the only suspension bridge in San Diego

Last edited by powerbyaj; 01-23-2010 at 05:17 AM.

Spyder Garage

30. At a sign with the word "Hawk" or “Eagle” on it ..
    hard to find here - maybe i can use the sign of my jacket ??
    its also hard to find an Indian Reservation ,,here in europe

chris
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

Would visit to link location satisfy a castle?
    http://www.rubelcastle.com/

I know this is a foot bridge but will it pass for "other than normal bridge". Its the only suspension bridge in San Diego

Both would if the Spyder were in the picture

2009 POW*MIA SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    30. At a sign with the word "Hawk" or “Eagle” on it ..
    hard to find here - maybe i can use the sign of my jacket ??
    its also hard to find an Indian Reservation ,,here in europe

chris
    Sorry Chris...clothing labels/designs don't count. Words can be in a foreign language as long as I can verify

2009 POW*MIA SE5

Spyder Garage

Both would if the Spyder were in the picture
    Wanted to verify before adding to planned route, Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Roadkill,

Irish answered this in Post #12 of this thread: Originally Posted by truck 85
    can you get credit for the same idem # more than once as long as it is a different place
    No...only item #3 can be duplicated

Hope this helps; really enjoying your finds and travelogue! Keep up the good work...
    Irish, I just went back to look at what Item #3 is, which is "
    Town that has the same name as a foreign town/city". Am I now correct in assuming that the actual valid repeatable is #2: "
    Same name town in different states photo of each town needed"?

Thanks!
    Brevet05

Spyder Garage

Irish, I just went back to look at what Item #3 is, which is "
    Town that has the same name as a foreign town/city". Am I now correct in assuming that the actual valid repeatable is #2: "
    Same name town in different states photo of each town needed"?

Thanks!
    Brevet05
    You are correct...it's #2 that can be repeated. My mistake...thanks for catching it

2009 POW*MIA SE5

Spyder Garage

Beautiful day in San Antonio, if you like 35mph winds...

Updates at:
    http://docs.google.com/View?id=drj3v57_02njjzfj5

Only a few more today,

17. At an Unusual Building (Tower of the Americas, a 750-foot (229 m) observation tower in San Antonio, Texas. It was built as the theme structure of the 1968 World's Fair, HemisFair)
    21. In Front of an Abandoned Hospital (Chambers Pavilion, formerly the Psych Ward of Brooke Army Medical Center, and now my Brigade Headquarters, hmmm)
    28. At an Old Church (Mission San Francisco de Espada, In 1731, the mission transferred to the San Antonio River area. A friary was built in 1745, and the church was completed in 1756.)
    30. At a Sign with 'Eagle' (The Lion & Eagle Antiques, probably the only lamp shade repair drive-in service in the world!)
    33. In Front of a Large Statue (Making Hay by Tom Otterness, by the San Antonio River)
    39. At a Dam (Admittedly not much of a dam, but the Espada Dam is still the original from the Spanish mission)
    62. At a Rhyming Intersection (Ray Bon/Village Lawn. A serendipitous find; I understand why this one's worth so much now)
    70. Mural that Creates an Illusion (A beautiful mural that adorns the back of a quick stop, it takes you right into a Mexican village scene.)
    72. Airplane mounted on a Post (P-38 Lightning at Lackland AFB. There are dozens of airplanes on teeny jack stand looking mounts, but this was the only one actually elevated that I saw)
    84. Sign with a Season (Summer Classics, 'nuff said)
    95. Person Wearing Sports Paraphrenalia (After a 30 mile ride with a high wind return leg, I was lucky that my wife stood for my needing this photo...)

Another fun day, thanks Irish (still think that the Military Intelligence is a prime oxymoron example...)

Spyder Garage

Default RK update 012310

+I enjoyed myself on the road for about five hours yesterday, bopping around the tri-state area looking for qualifying images. The temps once again dropped down below freezing as I progressed, though. With today's freezing drizzle, I'll wait for another day to continue scoping out shots.

(#45 NO POINTS) I started off at this bucolic site on Quannacut Road abutting the Dharma Drum Retreat, but the water isn't quite "falling".
    http://www.roadkillonline.net/imaged...s/35_10026.JPG

Heading south afterwards, I checked out the eastern and western O&W railroad tunnels under the Shawangunk Range. Both are publically inaccessible, so I'll have to figure something else out for #58. Continuing south, I tried to reach the NY vista looking down upon the NY/NJ/PA Delaware River scene above the city of Port Jervis, but it's closed for the season. (What? The winter season doesn't still provide a view? Sheesh! 8^D)

(#13 NO POINTS) I stopped at this Delaware River beach in the city of Port Jervis, but I think you'll agree that I captured a nicer lake image to satisfy #13 a short while later, so no points are claimed for this image.
    http://www.roadkillonline.net/imaged...s/35_10025.JPG

(#18 +50) Matamoras, settled 1740, at the intersection of Pennsylvania Avenue and Delaware Drive, visited after crossing the steel grate bridge carrying Route 209 over the Delaware from NY to PA.
    http://www.roadkillonline.net/imaged...s/35_10027.JPG

(#52 +10) One cannot stop upon the I-84 bridge between PA & NY, so I captured these images east of the Delaware River border bridge looking back into Pennsylvania. "Pennsylvania Welcomes You" (across the span).
    http://www.roadkillonline.net/imaged...s/35_10033.JPG

(#27 + 50) A short distance later, before exiting I-84 at exit 1, Port Jervis, Orange County, NY, I then captured, "Welcome to New York, The Empire State".
    http://www.roadkillonline.net/imaged...s/35_10034.JPG

(#13 +25) Southbound once again brought me to this Steeny Kill Lake view of the High Point Monument (NJ's highest point at 1803' above sea level) from NJ State Route 23. The latter Lake Marcia view does so within High Point State Park. The High Point Monument presents a spectacular panorama of PA/NY/NJ, including the Delaware River separation of the states.
    http://www.roadkillonline.net/imaged...s/35_10031.JPG
    http://www.roadkillonline.net/imaged...s/35_10030.JPG
    http://www.roadkillonline.net/imaged...s/35_10029.JPG
    http://www.roadkillonline.net/imaged...s/35_10032.JPG

The Appalachian Trail criss-crossed several of my routes during my course of travel, including in High Point State Park, but I'll present those images a short while down page, since it's not clear that it crosses the road...

(#36 +25) Space Farms' Old Car Museum, Beemerville, NJ
    http://www.roadkillonline.net/imaged...s/35_10035.JPG

(#85 +25) On Coykendall Road, Sussex, NJ, I noticed this upside-down object, a street address sign.
    http://www.roadkillonline.net/imaged...s/35_10036.JPG

(#68 +50) According to a sign on Nick Vander Groef's lawn, he makes windmills.
    http://www.roadkillonline.net/imaged...s/35_10038.JPG
    I doubt he made this one at the Holland American Bakery (since 1954) in my points image.
    http://www.roadkillonline.net/imaged...s/35_10037.JPG

As I progressed southward on Rt. 23, I recalled the Gingerbread Castle of my youth. Located on Gingerbread Castle Road, in Hamburg, NJ, it's not a genuine castle and, though it abuts an historic forge dating to 1768 & the abandoned Wheatsworth Mills, which also resembles a castle, it doesn't qualify, so no points for these images. 8^(
    http://www.roadkillonline.net/imaged...s/35_10039.JPG
    http://www.roadkillonline.net/imaged...s/35_10040.JPG
    http://www.roadkillonline.net/imaged...s/35_10041.JPG
    http://www.roadkillonline.net/imaged...s/35_10042.JPG
    http://www.roadkillonline.net/imaged...s/35_10043.JPG

Due to traffic concerns I noticed when entering Gingerbread Castle Road from Rt. 23 (long line of cars due to uncourteous drivers as I entered the road), I decided to head south to its Route 94 connection, and in the course of travel spotted what might be a qualifying water tower in the distance!

(#63 +50) Water tower with cone top and ball.
    http://www.roadkillonline.net/imaged...s/35_10045.JPG

At this point, I headed north on Rt. 94 toward NY, knowing that the Appalachian Trail crosses somewhere nearby. But first, I capture this, at the Nordic House Coffee House & Nordic Bakery, north of Vernon Valley/Great Gorge ski areas.

(#96 +25) A national flag other than your native country.
    http://www.roadkillonline.net/imaged...s/35_10046.JPG
    http://www.roadkillonline.net/imaged...s/35_10047.JPG

Before crossing the New York border again, I found the Appalachian Trail crossing, accomodating a barbed wire cow pasture fence via step structure, but I'll present it further down page again, as I've still got roads to travel...

(#40 REPLACEMENT IMAGE) I already snagged the 25 points for the Fair Oaks Drive In theater, but am replacing my earlier image with this one, of the Warwick Drive In, which captures all three screens. ("See U in the Spring")
    http://www.roadkillonline.net/imaged...s/35_10048.JPG

(#54 +50) At Mount Peter, I finally found what I was looking for re the Appalachian Trail image: the universal hiking sign with an official placard. It's presented first, followed by my earlier A.T. images.
    http://www.roadkillonline.net/imaged...s/35_10049.JPG
    http://www.roadkillonline.net/imaged...s/35_10050.JPG
    http://www.roadkillonline.net/imaged...s/35_10051.JPG

Coming back down the mountain on the backroads, I noticed a checkerboard water tower upon the grounds of the Mid-Orange Correctional Facility, next to its newer replacement, but I'm not sure it's "unique", so I pass.

In Florida (NY), I spend half an hour trying to locate the "Birthplace of William Seward" sign, and finally continue on.

(#20 +35) In Chester, I capture The Castle Fun Center theme park from Rt. 17M, also incorporating my earlier image from Rt. 17/I-86 in the presentation.
    http://www.roadkillonline.net/imaged...s/35_10052.JPG
    http://www.roadkillonline.net/imaged...s/35_10053.JPG
    http://www.roadkillonline.net/imaged...s/35_10020.JPG

(#82 +50) Chester also happens to be the birthplace of Hambletonian. The sign on the side of the barn reads, "Willow Valley Farm Hambletonian Birthplace".
    http://www.roadkillonline.net/imaged...s/35_10056.JPG
    This historic marker reads, "Hambletonian. Foaled here May 5, 1849. Progenitor of America's Famed Trotters and Pacers. The Hambletonian Society.", and the stone marker reads, "Hambletonian 10. Father of the Trotting Horse. Foaled on this spot May 5, 1849. Erected by his admirers August 15, 1935."
    http://www.roadkillonline.net/imaged...s/35_10054.JPG
    The monument reads, "Hambletonian. The Great Progenitor of Trotters. Born May 5, 1849. Died March 27, 1876."
    http://www.roadkillonline.net/imaged...s/35_10057.JPG

As light faded and chill invaded, it was time to head home.

Ride on.
    Roadkill
    http://www.roadkillonline.net/imaged...es/35_9838.jpg
    Last edited by Roadkill; 01-24-2010 at 08:25 PM.