Thread: HID for the RT

Spyder Garage

Default HID for the RT

Anyone use HID on their Spyder? Anyone use the thin units from DDM? http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p=product&id=101&parent=85 . or have a better source?

Thanks in advance.

Spyder Garage

I have the 8000 HIDs from ESI ( a sponsor on this site found on the home page ) and love them . They light up the night and day making you highly visible. Made for the plug and play. Took me about 2 hours to install.
    Happy Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There are those that have gone the cheap route for HIDs and it has come back to bite them. The spyder sensors are very sensitive. Personally, I am going with the ESI version since I know they work. Just my opinion.
    Dick
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Spyder Garage

Default took your advice and purchased from ESOI

thanks folks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fastfraser View Post
    I have the 8000 HIDs from ESI ( a sponsor on this site found on the home page ) and love them . They light up the night and day making you highly visible. Made for the plug and play. Took me about 2 hours to install.
    Did you just dod the head lights or FOG too? Will they take the same kit? and hoe difficult to do or should I let the dealer do them on initial set up?

Spyder Garage

Default HID for RT

My plan is to use the ESI HID on the headlight and a modulator on the fog lights for day-time visibility. That with the driving lights on the arms by the fenders, the front fender lights turned to LEDs, from ESI, should make this very visible and give me more than enough light to drive by in almost any conditions.

Working on the solution to a third-brake light on top of the rear box and which one will fit that vertical surface. Will know Wednesday after one more look at the dealer's RT.

Two more lighting ideas but will have to make the decision Wednesday after another look at the Spyder.

Have fun this week.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lawrenc454 View Post
    My plan is to use the ESI HID on the headlight and a modulator on the fog lights for day-time visibility. That with the driving lights on the arms by the fenders, the front fender lights turned to LEDs, from ESI, should make this very visible and give me more than enough light to drive by in almost any conditions.

Working on the solution to a third-brake light on top of the rear box and which one will fit that vertical surface. Will know Wednesday after one more look at the dealer's RT.

Two more lighting ideas but will have to make the decision Wednesday after another look at the Spyder.

Have fun this week.
    I don't think we know for certain yet if the ESI or BRP HID kits will fit and work on the RT. My suspicion is yes, but that has not been confirmed. Different headlight setup on the RT, and I don't know if it has the shutters and single filament bulb. I would have thought that BRP would have relabeled their HID kit as fitting both models if it was feasible. BTW, the reflectors in the RT headlights really add to the frontal visibility, especially with the LED lighting package.

As to the third brakelight, I am waiting a bit. I figured a couple of ways to do it, but I'm hoping ESI will have a molded third brakelight to fit into the notch at the top of the rear case very soon. It seems tailor made for one. HyperLites or standard LED assemblies are an alternative, but not as sleek. I would like to see plasma rods or LED assemblies for the rear fender on each side of the license plate, too. Again, I can adapt something, but a unit made especially for the RT would look better, much like the third taillight ESI sells for the RS. I'm positive the ESI mudflap lights will work, so they will be my first purchase. Love them on our GS!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!