Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Rode an RT today and ordered one

My wife and I finally got to ride the Spyder RT-S today. My dealer has had a demo for about two weeks but weather and other circumstances have kept us from taking a test ride. We both loved it. Here is a short report on the ride.
    Since I don't have a GS Spyder, I can only compare the RT to my BMW R1100RT and to a short test ride on a GS Spyder back in June. I rode the RT two up for about 25 miles.
    The suspension seemed softer than the GS and, at first, seemed to wallow some in corners. But I only rode the GS a few miles and I'm still used to riding a 2 wheeler so I need some time to adjust and get used to cornering on 3 wheels. In fact, it was feeling better before I got back to the dealer. I tried stiffening the rear suspension (very easy to do with the electric adjustment) and that seemed to help some. I think stiffening the front would also help. As it is, the ride is very smooth. It just soaks up most bumps.
    Several of you had talked about being a little twitchy on the fly-by-wire throttle but I had no trouble with that. It seemed to have just enough back pressure that it was easy to use without being too easy. It also seemed to be a slower throttle than my BMW and that probably helped also.
    The seating position was great for me but I'm only 5' 3". However, I talked to another customer who looked to be about 6' 2" or so and he said it was fine for him, too, but he would probably stretch his legs out on the wind deflectors on longer rides. The seat felt good, fairly firm, but it seemed like it would be comfortable all day. My wife loved the seat. She said it was comfortable, her legs were in a good position, and she felt very secure with the backrest which seemed to cradle her very well. She commented that she had to pay more attention to what was going on than she does on the BMW. This wasn't a complaint, just an observation relative to 3 wheel maneuvers rather than 2 wheels.
    The wind and weather protection is awesome. My BMW is good but it doesn't compare to the Spyder RT. I almost always wear gloves when I ride but I deliberately didn't wear them on the RT so I could feel the wind better. I swear there was no wind on my hands - just none at all. This was, without a doubt, the most protective fairing I've ever ridden behind. And my wife felt the same. Even with the windshield in the lowest position, she got no buffeting at all and virtually no wind. That's saying something for a passenger. They always catch the most wind. If there's a downside to the fairing, it may be that you don't get enough breeze on a hot day but that report will have to wait for a hotter day. It was about 60 degrees here in west Texas today and riding was perfect.
    When I rode the GS, I felt that it would easily run with my BMW. I'm not sure if the RT will or not. Nevertheless, the power is adequate, especially above 5000 RPM. It does like to rev and just to prove it, I stalled it a couple of times before I got used to it. The beauty of that was that I didn't have to pick it up when I stalled it as I likely would have my BMW. All in all, there's plenty of power for anything I want to do if I just remember to keep it up in the RPM range it wants to be in.
    So when we got back to the dealer with my wife saying she really loved it, I went in and ordered a Full Moon Silver base RT. The only option I got was the heated passenger grips. I don't listen to the radio or to music while I ride so I didn't need the audio systems. I like the electric rear suspension adjustment, but I can get by with doing that manually. There just wasn't any point in spending an additional $4000 for stuff that wouldn't be used.
    The dealer says it may be delivered in January but there's no guarantee. He said the only thing BRP has pronmised on delivery dates is that they will be delivered before April first. I hope it's here by March 1. Not too worried about getting it before then since we have commitments to put on an enduro February 28 and it will take a couple of months of trail marking, setting up, etc. so we wouldn't get to ride it much until March anyway.
    Well, that's the report. Now do any of you know of a good easy bank to rob so I can pay for it when it comes in?

Cotton

Spyder Garage

Your impressions in comparing to your R1100RT were much like mine. BTW, I'm keeping the BMW RT, are you?
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Your impressions in comparing to your R1100RT were much like mine. BTW, I'm keeping the BMW RT, are you?
    Yes, at least for the time being, I plan to keep my BMW RT. I still enjoy riding it a lot but, with my short legs, I have a little problem holding it up with a passenger and I usually have a passenger. I doubt that it will bring much in trade. I may list it for sale but if I can't get a decent price, it will be worth more to me to keep it. So I'll probably have it for a long time to come.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikeguy View Post
    Yes, at least for the time being, I plan to keep my BMW RT. I still enjoy riding it a lot but, with my short legs, I have a little problem holding it up with a passenger and I usually have a passenger. I doubt that it will bring much in trade. I may list it for sale but if I can't get a decent price, it will be worth more to me to keep it. So I'll probably have it for a long time to come.

Cotton
    I imagine you do have a difficult time. Riding two-up was the main reason for Nancy getting a Spyder and now me getting an RT-S. I'm 6'0", with long legs, and can flat foot my RT on the centerstand with the seat all the way up, but I hated riding that top-heavy rascal double. I felt great relief when Nancy got her Spyder and we rode separately, but I miss riding together sometimes. When she saw the RT-S, she told me she missed riding pillion sometimes too, and talked me into getting one. I refuse to ride a BMW LT, even by myself, so this provides the full touring bike I always wanted, with no top-heavy monster to balance with these tired old legs. I love to ride my BMW RTP, though, and will certainly keep it. Sure can eat up the highway!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I imagine you do have a difficult time. Riding two-up was the main reason for Nancy getting a Spyder and now me getting an RT-S. I'm 6'0", with long legs, and can flat foot my RT on the centerstand with the seat all the way up, but I hated riding that top-heavy rascal double. I felt great relief when Nancy got her Spyder and we rode separately, but I miss riding together sometimes. When she saw the RT-S, she told me she missed riding pillion sometimes too, and talked me into getting one. I refuse to ride a BMW LT, even by myself, so this provides the full touring bike I always wanted, with no top-heavy monster to balance with these tired old legs. I love to ride my BMW RTP, though, and will certainly keep it. Sure can eat up the highway!
    My wife has ridden dirt bikes for more than thirty years now and still does. And she's a pretty darned good rider, too. But she won't even talk about riding her own bike on the street, so we've always ridden two up. I feel very fortunate to have a wife who enjoys riding with me so I don't even consider leaving her at home. The Spyder just seemed the right answer and when the RT came out it had everything I could want in a touring bike without the worry about dropping it. We were both really impressed with the comfort when we rode it.

But, as you say, the BMW RT is so much fun to ride and it gets you there in a hurry. It amazes me how something that top heavy and unwieldy at low speeds can become so nimble, quick, and easy handling at highway speed. Who knows, maybe I'll get the wife to ride the Spyder and I'll ride the BMW on a trip or two. I'm sure I can get her to at least ride it a bit locally. We'll have to wait and see if it goes any further.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

Thanks for your review.
    Happy Owner

RT-S SE PE#0192
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the report Cotton. I was interested in a report from the passenger as almost all of our riding is two up. The big complaint from the SO was always buffeting from the wind, sounds like maybe she will be ok with this bike.

Dwight

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
    Thanks for the report Cotton. I was interested in a report from the passenger as almost all of our riding is two up. The big complaint from the SO was always buffeting from the wind, sounds like maybe she will be ok with this bike.

Dwight
    [video=Raving review from my 18 year old son]76[/video]

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
    The big complaint from the SO was always buffeting from the wind, sounds like maybe she will be ok with this bike.

Dwight
    My wife has ridden behind me on a number of different bikes. This has always been her biggest complaint as well. Some were worse than others but she always got more buffeting than she wanted. On our R1100RT, which has a darn good fairing, she still had had to hold her face shield closed in a crosswind. The buffeting would literally blow it open if she didn't hold it. She said she got no buffeting and very little wind at all on the RT. I didn't want to ride someone else's bike too hard but, for a short period of time, I had it over 80 MPH. I think any passenger will like it.