Spyder Garage

Default RT demo ride today...

Went to the local dealer to test ride an RS SE5 but only had an RT manual to demo. After getting off my Yamaha FJR1300AE the ride was a little awkward but impressive. I had trouble holding a smooth straight line, seemed to wander in the lane and at times like it was following ruts.. Could have been just me not being familar with the RT.. my question for now is.. does the RS handle any different than the RT in regards to this wandering?

Thanks, Hamie

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hamie View Post
    Went to the local dealer to test ride an RS SE5 but only had an RT manual to demo. After getting off my Yamaha FJR1300AE the ride was a little awkward but impressive. I had trouble holding a smooth straight line, seemed to wander in the lane and at times like it was following ruts.. Could have been just me not being familar with the RT.. my question for now is.. does the RS handle any different than the RT in regards to this wandering?

Thanks, Hamie
    I think that is something you have to get used too for both models of spyders. It isn't that it is really wandering, it is getting used to not oversteering the spyder. Of course, with two wheels in front means they will follow the grooves of the road more easily as well.
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Spyder Garage

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you mean by "wandering", but the road camber and the road tire "ruts" will always be something to contend with while riding the Spyder and if you're not paying attention it may "wander" a bit. The type pavement will dictate the possible degree and severity of the "wandering". I've never really had any problem however.

Glynnk
    Happy 10 RT-SPE owner!!

Spyder Garage

Relax your grip and it will wander less. It does take some getting used to. You will also find that when you hit a bump, or the crown of the road changes, that you will react instinctively at first to counter the tendency of a two-wheeler to steer slightly under those circumstances. The Spyder steers opposite, and has very little bump steer or lean steer, so any subconscious adjustments will require a correction afterward, making it seem squirmy. Most of us have adjusted to it nicely after 100 miles or so. On my demo rides I did notice a tendency for the RT-S to tend to oversteer a bit, compared to the RS.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 12-16-2009 at 10:12 PM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

welcome
    One thing that helps a bunch is to crank up the front shocks, for whatever reason they have them all set a little soft.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    welcome
    One thing that helps a bunch is to crank up the front shocks, for whatever reason they have them all set a little soft.
    True, and if it is anything like the RS model, raise the front tire pressure a bit.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I believe I understand your issue. While riding a two-wheeler, to initiate a turn, you use a technique called "counter-steering". That means to start a right hand turn, you actually turn the handlebars slightly to the left, which then causes the bike to lean to the right. It's this right-hand lean that actually causes the bike to turn right. Once the right-hand lean is initiated, you then steer the handlebars slightly straight to maintain a balance between leaning too far and not leaning enough.

On the Spyder, like on an ATV, you do not counter steer. You turn the handlebars right to turn right, & left to turn left.

At first, I found that 20 years of motorcycle muscle memory was actually working against me. I was using a counter steering technique without realizing it & immediately had the Spyder move in the opposite direction I had anticipated. That in addition to the fact that I no longer was a "part" of the bike (leaning with the bike when it leans to keep firmly planted in the saddle), but was sitting on top of the Spyder & tossed to the outside when in a turn, the whole experience was other than what I had expected. When I figured out what was going on, I made mental adjustments to my riding technique and was doing just fine.

Now, take all that and apply it to the constant minor adjustments you make while going "straight" down the road & you may understand why you have that "wandering" feeling.

Hope this helps you make the adjustment.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    I believe I understand your issue. While riding a two-wheeler, to initiate a turn, you use a technique called "counter-steering". That means to start a right hand turn, you actually turn the handlebars slightly to the left, which then causes the bike to lean to the right. It's this right-hand lean that actually causes the bike to turn right. Once the right-hand lean is initiated, you then steer the handlebars slightly straight to maintain a balance between leaning too far and not leaning enough.

On the Spyder, like on an ATV, you do not counter steer. You turn the handlebars right to turn right, & left to turn left.

At first, I found that 20 years of motorcycle muscle memory was actually working against me. I was using a counter steering technique without realizing it & immediately had the Spyder move in the opposite direction I had anticipated. That in addition to the fact that I no longer was a "part" of the bike (leaning with the bike when it leans to keep firmly planted in the saddle), but was sitting on top of the Spyder & tossed to the outside when in a turn, the whole experience was other than what I had expected. When I figured out what was going on, I made mental adjustments to my riding technique and was doing just fine.

Now, take all that and apply it to the constant minor adjustments you make while going "straight" down the road & you may understand why you have that "wandering" feeling.

Hope this helps you make the adjustment.
    Well said. Been riding the for a year and a half and had not realized that that was what I was doing. Great write-up!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the replies... thought it was just me and glad to hear that is normal at the beginning.. turning 70 next month and family wants me off the FJR1300 so guess it is just a matter of shaking the bushes to find a deal I can't pass up... Thanks again....

RT-S PE#0256 SyderLovers Sponsor Mad Matt's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The RT definitely wanders more than the RS. The demo RT I have been riding was "hunting" without the bars moving at all. I was holding the bars steady just with 1 finger so I know I was not ham fisting it. I am anxious to try Lamont's fix of tightening up the front shocks. The really touchy steering and "hunting" is amplified by soft suspension and body roll, so I am confident that tightening up the front shocks will help. It's one issue I will definitely address when I take delivery of my unit.

I have built several conventional trikes, and ridden several more. Every Trike I have ever ridden had this characteristic to some degree or another. So do the Spyders.

Matt

Spyder Garage

I found adjusting the front-end with a slight toe-in helps with wandering.