Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

A very used 1965 Sears Allstate Puch Scrambler purchased in 1974.
    Last edited by Rando; 12-15-2009 at 09:13 PM.

Spyder Garage

My first bike was bought used about 1976 and was a beat up Suzuki 125 Enduro. I had a blast on that bike until I finally blew it up. Around 1981 I got a Yamaha 400 street bike, and used to ride it to high school. Trying to ride it in February, in Michigan, proved to be a serious mistake one morning as I ended up totaling it in 1982. I then stayed away from motorcycles until 1986 when I bought a brand new Suzuki GSX-R 750 as a young Marine. I sold that bike when I got married, and have missed riding until the Spyder came along.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

1968 Kawasaki 350 Avenger scrambler 2 Stroke. Blew the doors off all the Honda 350's which is what everyone thought was the cat's meow. I could have had a Honda but I'd have gotten something else even if it wasn't as good just to be different.

Then I bumped up to a 1970 Kawasaki Tripple 500 2 Stroke when all my buddies went to the Honda 750. I was back on top of the speed situation. But neither of them handled as well or rode as smooth as the Honda's.

Oh well, you can't have it all!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I started riding when I was 12, in 1992, honda trail 70, rode the crap out of it, leaked oil out the main seal, the thottle stuck a few times, crashed it riding in the snow, just hurt some , picked it back up. My dad sold it, got on a few friends dirt bikes here and there, not really my thing,

A few buddies of mine had rockets and I rode my buddies 01 r6 to his house because it was too cool to ride for him, I didn't know about the kickstand cut out so he thought that was funny, I hit 178 on the speedo, no lid, no jacket, typical 22 year old and was instantly hooked, at that speed you can't hear the engine redlining in 5th, was an odd thing to learn at 150+.

I was deployed to bosnia in 03-04 and bought my first bike a month after I got back I was the proud owner of a 05 suzuki RF900 that I got for 2700, I friend of a friend in the twin cities had fixed it up after a crash, it was in green and was down one tooth in the front, would redline at 170ish in 5th. Was the best all around bikes I have had, put 10k on it the first year I had it in MN which isn't too bad if you are working 3 jobs and starting in June.

Got full time the next year and bought a 01 cbr929 maxed out, lost my license the 2nd day I had it for 4 speeds in 12 months. Got in mild crash in august 1st of 05, broken collar bone, 2 ribs,head injury, riding at night, guy with no boat trailer lights.

Went down to the twin cities again and bought a 02 yamaha r1, that had been in mild crash, test drove it with a broken collar bone, repainted it kawi orange, road the **** out of it, Sold that for 5500 and bought a 00 kawi zx12rr for 2500!! with 1800 miles on it, with 195hp to the rear tire, guy said his wife was scared when he road it.

I still have that and put over 12k on that in 07 when I had my accident on a 98 yzf 600 I bought for the girl I was engaged to before I got hurt, I also had an extra 98 gsxr600 i bought to sell.

I bought the spyder in 09 and I have 18.5k on it right now.

I MISS 2 WHEELS but the spyder is as close as I can get right now and I have yet to meet an owner I did not like.
    I am existing right now, would give anything to live again. Fix my sci and you have everything I own.

crash tester for:

www.industrialspecialty.com

http://pitbullpowersportsinc.com/pbp/home.html the best dealer on the planet, sure wish I lived closer.

Spyder Garage

Bought my first bike in June of 2009, 09 SE5 Spyder, never owned or rode a bike before
    "Happy Spyder Owner"
    2010 RTS PE 0174

Custom Plates & paint,
    ESI Triple play,mud flap lights,Fender tips/amber,Green Filter,Dayrunner/turn signals,Shortee Antenna,Scuff Guards,LED Brake Lights & 2 in 1 Harness,Brightsides & rear,Glo-ryders/amber,Kewlmetal inside trunk lightz,Garmin 660,Garmin Hood,Volt Meter & Oil Pressure Gauge,Utopia Backrest,IPS Key,ISCI Brake Pedal,Dual side/tall flag poles,SPYDERPOPS Heat Guard

http://www.farriscustoms.com

Spyder Garage

I think the first mini bike I rode was a Taco22, then a Montgomery Wards mini bike. Then I hung out with a gal that had a Honda QA50 before getting my first bike. I was into CB radios back then and I would build and repair radios to get extra money. My folks didn't have any extra so I had to make due with what I had to work with.

I paid $10 for a CB and sold it for $20. Bought one for $20 and I sold it for $40. Bought one for $40 and sold it for $80 and used that money to buy my first motorcycle a 1969 Kaw 90. I was 12 at the time.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Started with a dirt bike- a Yamaha RT 180, and then moved to street bikes. 1st bike was a 1980 Yamaha Maxim XJ 650. The guy who sold it to me beat the tar out of it, so I learned to do a lot of work on that bike myself. Great bike to learn to work on, but ended up needing lots of help to repair what I'd tried to fix on my own!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In 1960, I met a guy who wanted to trade his old NSU Fox for my beat-up Hillman-Minx. I don't know what year or displacement the NSU was, but I recall the headlight was busted and the kick starter didn't work. You could legally ride a motorcycle in Alberta in those days if had a car drivers licence. Drill was to run with this thing, pop the clutch and leap aboard. Tore up my clothes and my hide pretty good learning how and then rode home in the dark, no headlight, through downtown Calgary, dodging cops. Loved that bike!
    Last edited by Neez; 12-16-2009 at 03:23 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Neez View Post
    In 1960, I met a guy who wanted to trade his old NSU Fox for my beat-up Hillman-Minx. I don't know what year or displacement the NSU was, but I recall the headlight was busted and the kick starter didn't work. You could legally ride a motorcycle in Alberta in those days if had a car drivers licence. Drill was to run with this thing, pop the clutch and leap aboard. Tore up my clothes and my hide pretty good learning how and then rode home in the dark, no headlight, through downtown Calgary, dodging cops. Loved that bike!
    A Hillman-Minx...four-on-the-tree shifter. Bet there aren't many here besides you and me that can say they ever drove a car with four on the tree.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    A Hillman-Minx...four-on-the-tree shifter. Bet there aren't many here besides you and me that can say they ever drove a car with four on the tree.
    Yeah, Scotty, mine cost me $50, and it looked like it. Speaking of in-the -tree shifters, do you recall moving them over to the left side of the column so we would have our right arm free to squeeze our girlfriends?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

A friend of mines father had an older model Mercedes diesel in the late 60's with a four on the tree that I drove a few times. The engine actually rattled going down the road.

Spyder Garage

Add me to that list had a 1964 Opel Record my first tour in Germany with 4 on the tree. Wound getting that car into the guard rail and ended up upside down on the Autobahn, what a ride.
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Other than 50s and 90s as a kid My first streetable bike was an Honda 350SL while I was stationed in Az. found out you could climb a desert mountain easier than you could ride down needless to say the sand and dirt was slick and wound up with 36 stitches in my forearm. Sold it and bought a KZ650 then wanted something bigger and traded it for an 1100 Goldwing received orders back to Germany and no bike for four years. Returned stateside to Maryland and bought a CX500 and after 1 year I realized I had put 15,000 miles on it and decided I wanted another Wing. Bought another 1100 Wing and after a while traded it for a new 1500 Wing. Kept it for 5 years and returned to Missouri. Decided to retire from the Army and move out on a dirt road so I sold the wing. Did not ride for 4 years again before I got the urge and bought another CX500 kept it a couple of years and then bought my 3rd 1100 Wing. Two more years and started wanting more power and bought my 1st Valkyrie 6 months later the wife talked me into buying a second Valkyrie and a little over a year later the Spyder. I could not see myself giving up either Valk or the Spyder however I would not mind having a Rocket III or maybe a Boss Hoss.
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

How about a Saab 93 or a DKW 1000? 3 cylinder 2 strokes, FWD; try THAT with the EPA!

john

Spyder Garage

Honda 750 Shadow...great bike, but moved on to a Kawaski Nomad, then a Harley Electra Glide Classic and now to a '09 Spyder (waiting for the delivery of my RT-S)

Glynnk
    Happy 10 RT-SPE owner!!

Spyder Garage

Default 1st Bike

First bike I rode was a "Monkey Wards" minibike. The first one I owned was a 1961 Tohatsu Runpet Sport 50cc. You had to mix your own oil and gas and it fouled a plug a day it seemed. Layed down a lot of smoke too! I have been riding some 2 wheeler (Several Hondas and Yamahas, a Pirelli, a Suzuki, and Kawasaki) since 1964 until the Spyder last year.
    Cal Sci XL Windscreen; Widow Highway Pegs; Mirror Extenders; 1" handlebar riser; Hindle exhaust; Corbin Seat, Givi top case, Street Magic HID headlights, 12v power thingy in trunk, NMN Triple Play, Tom Tom Rider 2 GPS, Corbin rear fender, so far
    and A Happy Spyder Owner

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool

1968 Rupp Sprint 4th Grade

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

First bike was a 1976 Suzuki 250 dirt bike

Spyder Garage

2008 Spyder Sm5. No point buying a bike until they got it right.

http://bobspyder.wordpress.com/
    #610 2007-2009
    #104 2012....

Spyder Garage

1959 saw me pester a friend for his old bike that he used as a hack. Was an Ambassador of unknown age,engine was a 197cc Villiers two stroke that would not start unless you removed the spark plug and ran a pencil over it !
    Happy days.

Spyder Garage

Since I'm absolutely brand new to riding, I guess my very first "motorcycle" would be the Piaggio MP3 500 that I just got. But does that count as a motorcycle? I'm not sure, but I do know it's FUN!

My second motorcycle (or first, depending on definitions!) will be the CanAm Spyder.

Derwin

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Derwin View Post
    Since I'm absolutely brand new to riding, I guess my very first "motorcycle" would be the Piaggio MP3 500 that I just got. But does that count as a motorcycle? I'm not sure, but I do know it's FUN!

My second motorcycle (or first, depending on definitions!) will be the CanAm Spyder.

Derwin
    No reason not to count a scooter, as the Cushmans, Whizzers, Rupps, and minibikes here testify.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

The MP3 counts in my book

I have always wondered what those are like to ride. Maybe one day I'll find out.
    We are a happy THREE Spyder family!
    My Rides: 2008 Quantum Blue Premier Edition Spyder GS SM5 (#1344)
    2015 Pearl White / Red Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM6
    2016 Intense Pearl Red Can-Am Spyder F3-T SE6
    2019 Chevrolet Volt (ER-EV)
    2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport X 4.0L I-6

RETIRED Owner / Event Coordinator - Annual Western Regional Can-Am Spyder Rallies
    Spyders in the Redwoods and Red Rock Spyder Rally of Southern Utah

The West Coast's Can-Am Spyder Community Ambassador
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Spyder Garage

No reason not to count a scooter, as the Cushmans, Whizzers, Rupps, and minibikes here testify.

Thanks, Scotty! I just learned to be careful in regards to this. Anyway, it's all about the ride, and yes, the ride is absolutely fantastic!

SpyderGirl... I really love my MP3 500. It has met and even exceeded my expectations....although I must admit that I didn't really know WHAT to expect! It's really fun to ride around town and I even had a great experience riding it out of state to my nephews birthday party. But I've yet to take it on an expressway, and don't think I ever will. I guess I'm too chicken!

The Spyder will definitely be my next purchase, but that purchase may be a bit far off into the future. Like many, I've started an SSA (Spyder Savings Account).

Derwin

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Derwin View Post
    SpyderGirl... I really love my MP3 500. It has met and even exceeded my expectations....although I must admit that I didn't really know WHAT to expect! It's really fun to ride around town and I even had a great experience riding it out of state to my nephews birthday party. But I've yet to take it on an expressway, and don't think I ever will. I guess I'm too chicken!
    I wanted an MP3 before I saw the Spyder in a CycleWorld magazine. I had always wanted a three-wheeler. I am curious on how different they feel comared to a standard street bike. I've thought many times about renting one for the day.
    We are a happy THREE Spyder family!
    My Rides: 2008 Quantum Blue Premier Edition Spyder GS SM5 (#1344)
    2015 Pearl White / Red Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM6
    2016 Intense Pearl Red Can-Am Spyder F3-T SE6
    2019 Chevrolet Volt (ER-EV)
    2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport X 4.0L I-6

RETIRED Owner / Event Coordinator - Annual Western Regional Can-Am Spyder Rallies
    Spyders in the Redwoods and Red Rock Spyder Rally of Southern Utah

The West Coast's Can-Am Spyder Community Ambassador
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue