Spyder Garage

Question Segway on a Spyder

Here's one for the armchair engineers out there, is it possible to carry a segway on a spyder? As far as specific are concerned, the segway's footprint is 19 x 25 in and it weighs 105 lbs; would the spyder be able to handle the weight? I was thinking something along the lines of the image at the bottom, but don't know about attachment points. FYI this would be primarily for an RS, but I'm curious about ideas for the RT as well.
    -se
    Last edited by spyderenthusiast; 12-15-2009 at 09:41 AM.
    2009 black segway i2 w/ black leanseats and roho pads

Spyder Garage

my trailer weighs more than that and i drove to lamonts 960 miles at around 70 mph and no problems
    THOSE WHO LIVE BY THE SWORD DIE BY THE SWORD... BUT...THOSE WHO MASTER THE SWORD SURVIVE BY THE SWORD....
    Rev. J. Proctor
    reverendproctor.com

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tatt2r View Post
    my trailer weighs more than that and i drove to lamonts 960 miles at around 70 mph and no problems
    Outstanding! My main concerns would be a solid attachment point, and easy load/unload of the segway, as it is my mobility device and I am not able to lift it in and out of a trailer.
    -se

Spyder Garage

I can't view your attachment, but if it is loaded behind the Spyder it will probably be more load than the Spyder suspension was designed to handle, or the VSS could compensate for...if there was a way to trigger the compensation via the pillion sensor. Rated trailer tongue weight for the RT is 40 pounds, and I would hesitate to increase the load behind the Spyder rear wheel center by more than that. A load of 105 pounds within the wheelbase would be perfectly acceptable, but hard to load since it would need to be centered. Have you considered the possibility of a small flatbed trailer that tilted down or even collapsed flat to load, much like the "ride on motorcycle trailers"? Just a thought. Where there's a will, there's a way. I'm sure you can conjure up something.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

A small harbor Freight or the like trailer, with a drop down gate added would probably fit the bill nicely for not too much money.

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I can't view your attachment, but if it is loaded behind the Spyder it will probably be more load than the Spyder suspension was designed to handle, or the VSS could compensate for...if there was a way to trigger the compensation via the pillion sensor. Rated trailer tongue weight for the RT is 40 pounds, and I would hesitate to increase the load behind the Spyder rear wheel center by more than that. A load of 105 pounds within the wheelbase would be perfectly acceptable, but hard to load since it would need to be centered. Have you considered the possibility of a small flatbed trailer that tilted down or even collapsed flat to load, much like the "ride on motorcycle trailers"? Just a thought. Where there's a will, there's a way. I'm sure you can conjure up something.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Is the pic visible now? I was thinking that were I to hang it off of the back I would upgrade the rear shock to the kewlmetal air ride system so that I could adjust it for the load.
    -se

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJohn View Post
    A small harbor Freight or the like trailer, with a drop down gate added would probably fit the bill nicely for not too much money.
    I wouldn't trust anything fron Harbor Freight--- they sell really poorly made stuff that breaks easily.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderenthusiast View Post
    Is the pic visible now? I was thinking that were I to hang it off of the back I would upgrade the rear shock to the kewlmetal air ride system so that I could adjust it for the load.
    -se
    Still not visible. You need to use the "Manage Attachments" feature below the reply box to upload a pic. The pic must be the appropriate size. To imbed a picture, you must use a photo hosting service on the Web. Lamont has instructions somewhere.

The air shock idea has some merit, you could lower the Spyder to load more easily. I still worry a little about the weight being that far back. Between the mounting rack and the Segway, you would have an estimated 150 pounds. That is the equivalent of a 250-300 pound person sitting on the passenger seat. It is within the load limits of the Spyder, but the VSS will not be adjusted as if you had a passenger. I doubt it would cause serious problems, though, other than the fact that it could lighten the steering, and get squirmy in wet weather. Trailer might be easier than finding a way to attach a Segway mounting rack securely, mostly due to the Spyder bodywork, and bags if you add them. However you choose to attack the problem, it sounds like it can be solved.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I wonder if it would be possible to build a rack, sort of like the wheelchair racks a few of the members have, that could get it to sit on or across the back seat itself? Where there is a will, there may just be a way.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Now you guys should be able to see what I'm talking about.
    -se

Spyder Garage

Here's one for the armchair engineers out there, is it possible to carry a segway on a spyder? As far as specific are concerned, the segway's footprint is 19 x 25 in and it weighs 105 lbs; would the spyder be able to handle the weight? I was thinking something along the lines of the image at the bottom, but don't know about attachment points. FYI this would be primarily for an RS, but I'm curious about ideas for the RT as well.
    -se
    Mel's Monster Garage has a wheelchair mount custom made for the Spyder. It was in a brochure that came with my trailer hitch but is not on their website. You'd have to call them to get measurements
    In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God. God looked down upon Ireland and said "Damn, I'm good!"

2009 POW*MIA SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by irish2themax View Post
    Mel's Monster Garage has a wheelchair mount custom made for the Spyder. It was in a brochure that came with my trailer hitch but is not on their website. You'd have to call them to get measurements
    That's what I thought of as soon as I could see the picture. Mels can also rig a receiver hitch to handle any type of insert, and will do custom work. On the down side, the MMG hitch is a swingarm mount hitch, similar to the BRP hitch for the Spyder RT-S. It is strong, but not cushioned like the BRP hitch. My concern would be the "tongue weight". BRP rates their hitch and the Spyder for a 40 pound tongue weight. A wheelchair and mount may not weigh more than that, but a Segway will for sure. You'd have to keep a close watch on the swingarm bushings and rear wheel bearings, and change them frequently for safety. You might also have some unforseen handling issues with that much rear weight. Don't know until you try. If a bike will handle it, a Spyder sure will!
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all your help guys. I just gotta get my grubby little paws on a spyder...I'm off to buy some lotto tickets.
    -se

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all your help guys. I just gotta get my grubby little paws on a spyder...I'm off to buy some lotto tickets.
    -se
    That's what parents are for
    In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God. God looked down upon Ireland and said "Damn, I'm good!"

2009 POW*MIA SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by irish2themax View Post
    That's what parents are for
    Parents, ponzi schemes, lotto tickets, or any combination of the three.
    -se