Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Sat on a Spyder, had a problem

I was checking out a used RS on a dealer's lot. Because I have short arms, I basically must hug the tank to get a proper reach to the bars that doesn't put a lot of weight on my wrists. That requires my legs, rather than be parallel to the direction of travel, be splayed approximately 30 degrees from parallel. With my feet in their usual position parallel to my thighs, I can only touch the extreme right edge of the brake pedal with the ball of my foot because it doesn't protrude far enough to the right away from the chassis. That's horribly unsafe because it's likely my foot will slip off the pedal at a most inopportune time, especially when the pedal and my shoes are wet. Also, I cannot comfortably sit with the extreme level of pigeon-toe required to make solid contact with the brake pedal. Anybody else have this problem? I'd also prefer the pedal be placed higher (closer to my foot). Is this an economical modification to make to the bike?

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Moving the control pedals and footrests upward and back is not practical on a Spyder. I'm not saying it couldn't be done by some smart fabricator, but as far as I know it has not been done yet. The handlebar risers will help you reach with your hands, but if your legs are too short to reach the pedals comfortably, I'm not sure the Spyder is for you. Sorry.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by randian View Post
    I was checking out a used RS on a dealer's lot. Because I have short arms, I basically must hug the tank to get a proper reach to the bars that doesn't put a lot of weight on my wrists. That requires my legs, rather than be parallel to the direction of travel, be splayed approximately 30 degrees from parallel. With my feet in their usual position parallel to my thighs, I can only touch the extreme right edge of the brake pedal with the ball of my foot because it doesn't protrude far enough to the right away from the chassis. That's horribly unsafe because it's likely my foot will slip off the pedal at a most inopportune time, especially when the pedal and my shoes are wet. Also, I cannot comfortably sit with the extreme level of pigeon-toe required to make solid contact with the brake pedal. Anybody else have this problem? I'd also prefer the pedal be placed higher (closer to my foot). Is this an economical modification to make to the bike?
    I would suggest that you get the pullback bars from KewlMetal. Sit upright and have someone measure the distance from your outstretched hand to the bar grips to determine the optimum pullback measurement. They come 5", 7" and 9". That should allow you to place your feet in the proper position
    In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God. God looked down upon Ireland and said "Damn, I'm good!"

2009 POW*MIA SE5

Spyder Garage

welcome The Kewlmetal bars are probably your best bet.
    We are a happy THREE Spyder family!
    My Rides: 2008 Quantum Blue Premier Edition Spyder GS SM5 (#1344)
    2015 Pearl White / Red Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM6
    2016 Intense Pearl Red Can-Am Spyder F3-T SE6
    2019 Chevrolet Volt (ER-EV)
    2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport X 4.0L I-6

RETIRED Owner / Event Coordinator - Annual Western Regional Can-Am Spyder Rallies
    Spyders in the Redwoods and Red Rock Spyder Rally of Southern Utah

The West Coast's Can-Am Spyder Community Ambassador
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Spyder Garage

The ESI Extended Length Billet Brake Pedal Covers as well as our Billet Handle Bar Risers should help you feel much more comfortable on this machine.

The Billet Brake Pedal Covers also feature 6 non-slip traction nubs to help your foot stay securely on the pedal preventing unwanted slips from the pedal surface, and measures 4 inches in length to make reaching the brake much easier for riders like us because I too had the same problem you do getting my foot to the stock pedal.

You can view these items at...
    www.esicycleproducts.com

MM
    [URL="http://www.esicycleproducts.com/"]

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) 8LEGS's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

welcome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Randian, I ride toes-out as well. The classy solution is the ESI extended brake pedal covers, which look and work really nice. If money is a problem (isn't it always?) you could do what I did and make your own extenders out of a piece of 3/16 or 1/4 by 1 inch flatbar, appropriately drilled. I used #5 grade 1/4 inch bolts to fasten to the brake lever.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Neez View Post
    Randian, I ride toes-out as well. The classy solution is the ESI extended brake pedal covers, which look and work really nice. If money is a problem (isn't it always?) you could do what I did and make your own extenders out of a piece of 3/16 or 1/4 by 1 inch flatbar, appropriately drilled. I used #5 grade 1/4 inch bolts to fasten to the brake lever.
    I have done this also and worked out really well.
    Total cost? $3.50 for piece of metal and couple of bolts anx nuts from homedepot.
    6 states down 42 states to go

Spyder Garage

Although expensive, worst comes to worse I would think you could run a handbrake, floorboards and risers.
    -se

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The handlebar risers will help you reach with your hands, but if your legs are too short to reach the pedals comfortably, I'm not sure the Spyder is for you.
    If my legs were that short I couldn't ride any motorcycle let alone a Spyder. It's not a matter of my legs being too short, it's the toes-out riding position that creates problems. The brake pedal being a bit higher would make it more comfortable, but it's not fatal. The part of the brake pedal that your foot touches isn't wide enough, that's fatal.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Man View Post
    The Billet Brake Pedal Covers also feature 6 non-slip traction nubs to help your foot stay securely on the pedal preventing unwanted slips from the pedal surface, and measures 4 inches in length to make reaching the brake much easier for riders like us because I too had the same problem you do getting my foot to the stock pedal.
    How many additional inches in width over stock does the cover add to the pedal?

Spyder Garage

If my legs were that short I couldn't ride any motorcycle let alone a Spyder. It's not a matter of my legs being too short, it's the toes-out riding position that creates problems. The brake pedal being a bit higher would make it more comfortable, but it's not fatal. The part of the brake pedal that your foot touches isn't wide enough, that's fatal.
    I understand now. When you said you wanted the pedals closer, I figured your legs were short enough to be pushed out too far, due to the width of the seat. I understand about the need to go "pigeon-toed" to reach the controls with the width of the Spyder, even for my long legs. The pedal extensions would be a good bet.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How many additional inches in width over stock does the cover add to the pedal?
    Well, if the ESI covers are 4 inches and the stock cover is 2-3/8 inches, then 1-5/8 inches in length must have been added.