Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heli-bar ????

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Heli-bar ????

Until the Spyder arrived, I wasn't sure "exactly" what Heli-bars were. Although they seem like a well executed accessory,I'm not sure I like them that much. I'm tall and used to Sportbike type riding style( even converted my '77 wing into a sport touring), these seem to be a more upright position. Even with a Corbin shield the wind seems to be more than it should and, again, the riding position seems too upright. Before I go to the efforts to remove them, I was curious about how the stock bar position felt to some of those that haven't converted? Also if anyone converted and reverted for the same reason?
    Finally,and this comes from 40 years as a bike tech, how many of those experiencing dps problems are running Heli-bars?
    Yesterday was about 30*, so it was the first day that was warm enough to put some miles on it. Everything was great, with the exception of the bar/riding position.
    Thanks in advance.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by woodz428 View Post
    Until the Spyder arrived, I wasn't sure "exactly" what Heli-bars were. Although they seem like a well executed accessory,I'm not sure I like them that much. I'm tall and used to Sportbike type riding style( even converted my '77 wing into a sport touring), these seem to be a more upright position. Even with a Corbin shield the wind seems to be more than it should and, again, the riding position seems too upright. Before I go to the efforts to remove them, I was curious about how the stock bar position felt to some of those that haven't converted? Also if anyone converted and reverted for the same reason?
    Finally,and this comes from 40 years as a bike tech, how many of those experiencing dps problems are running Heli-bars?
    Yesterday was about 30*, so it was the first day that was warm enough to put some miles on it. Everything was great, with the exception of the bar/riding position.
    Thanks in advance.

this has been an up and down conversation since helibars came out .... some like some dont i personally dont like them i have esi 3 inch risers and a brp 1 inch riser i sat on a spyder with helibar and im 5'7" and i didnt like seating position either .... my suggestion would be to find someone local that owns a spyder that you can feel seating position or go to a local dealer myself i would rather have factory position than helibar ... helibar is a great company that makes some great products but in my opinion they rushed the spyder bars and could have come up with something better ,,,,
    again just my opinion...
    THOSE WHO LIVE BY THE SWORD DIE BY THE SWORD... BUT...THOSE WHO MASTER THE SWORD SURVIVE BY THE SWORD....
    Rev. J. Proctor
    reverendproctor.com

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Only a few of us have the Heli Bar risers. Not so many people like the look. More have the ESI handlebar extensions.

It is my opinion that a handlebar riser of any kind should have no effect on the steering. Maybe I am out to lunch on that. But simply changing the position of the handlebars should not change the basic components of the DPS.

As for the ryder position with the Heli Bar riser, or any riser, it's a personal choice. I rode the Spyder in a demo ryde with the original bar position. It's definitely "forward". Too forward for me, and I'm short so I didn't have far to lean! I think it's "to each his own" a matter of personal preference.

I like the Heli Bar risers because you can return the bike to stock not having cut the handlebars. But again, it's all a matter of opinion. I don't mind the look. When I'm ryding, I'm not looking at my handlebars. So it doesn't bother me. In your case, be thankful that you don't have the ESI riser instead of the Heli Bar. You would have to shell out some bucks for a new set of handlebars to return it to the stock position. As your bars were not cut, you have a choice now. Stock or not.

This is not to say that most if not every person with the ESI risers likes them very much. My dealer had the Heli Bars right there ready to install. It was an easy choice for me to get them.
    Marilyn

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I used to work for the dealership that handles Spyders(before there were Spyders) in Decatur,Il. I might ride over there when it gets a tad warmer( supposed to get back in the 40s next week) and see how the stock bars feel before removing the Helibars.
    My interest in the dps/Helibars relationship had more to do with whether the extra leverage that "setbacks" give might make the steering "notchiness" less noticable, or even eliminate it altogether.
    Last edited by woodz428; 12-13-2009 at 10:30 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoBT View Post
    I like the Heli Bar risers because you can return the bike to stock not having cut the handlebars. But again, it's all a matter of opinion. I don't mind the look. When I'm ryding, I'm not looking at my handlebars. So it doesn't bother me. In your case, be thankful that you don't have the ESI riser instead of the Heli Bar. You would have to shell out some bucks for a new set of handlebars to return it to the stock position. As your bars were not cut, you have a choice now. Stock or not.
    Don't let that determine whether you use the ESI risers or not, cause it's very easy to return to a stock setup, but you do need to save the handlebar ends you cut off. 10 minutes for a good welder.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rnet View Post
    Don't let that determine whether you use the ESI risers or not, cause it's very easy to return to a stock setup, but you do need to save the handlebar ends you cut off. 10 minutes for a good welder.
    I wouldn't recommend welding the handlebars, unless they were sleeved for reinforcement. Fitting tight sleeves and drilling the holes to spot weld them in would eat up more than ten minutes. A butt weld on thin tubing at this location is under a lot of stress, and could fail at the wrong time. Not for me! The money spent for replacement bars would be worth every penny for peace of mind alone. BTW, few people have expressed a desire to revert to stock after the ESI risers.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

SPYDRRR

Spyder Garage

10 minutes for a good welder.

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

Before I made that above statement I asked a seasoned race car fabricator what he thought about the handlebars being welded and that was what he told me. Scotty, perhaps you need to find a good welder. So I went back again and he told me he could even make them stronger than stock.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I wouldn't recommend welding the handlebars, unless they were sleeved for reinforcement. Fitting tight sleeves and drilling the holes to spot weld them in would eat up more than ten minutes. A butt weld on thin tubing at this location is under a lot of stress, and could fail at the wrong time. Not for me! The money spent for replacement bars would be worth every penny for peace of mind alone. BTW, few people have expressed a desire to revert to stock after the ESI risers.
    THOSE WHO LIVE BY THE SWORD DIE BY THE SWORD... BUT...THOSE WHO MASTER THE SWORD SURVIVE BY THE SWORD....
    Rev. J. Proctor
    reverendproctor.com

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

... with whether the extra leverage that "setbacks" give might make the steering "notchiness" less noticable, or even eliminate it altogether.
    If you have "notchiness", it's not due to any of the risers. It's a defective steering unit. Get it fixed... it gets worse.

ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post
    If you have "notchiness", it's not due to any of the risers. It's a defective steering unit. Get it fixed... it gets worse.

No our Spyder hasn't displayed that problem. I was noticing a number of owners mentioning it on various forums and was curious as to how many had or didn't have Helibars, that were experiencing the issue. Since it doesn't seem to be a broad problem, I wondered if Helibars may have lessened the chance of it being felt. The ones mentioning it seemed to indicate that you could "power" through it. With the extra leverage that set backs give,I wondered if that created the "powering through" without it being noticed. I always try to correlate why 2 models of the same mass produced vehicle could vary that much from one to the other.
    As I said, it's the bike tech/service manager in me.

Spyder Garage

Gotcha.

No our Spyder hasn't displayed that problem. I was noticing a number of owners mentioning it on various forums and was curious as to how many had or didn't have Helibars, that were experiencing the issue. Since it doesn't seem to be a broad problem, I wondered if Helibars may have lessened the chance of it being felt. The ones mentioning it seemed to indicate that you could "power" through it. With the extra leverage that set backs give,I wondered if that created the "powering through" without it being noticed. I always try to correlate why 2 models of the same mass produced vehicle could vary that much from one to the other.
    As I said, it's the bike tech/service manager in me.
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I rode with the stock bar setup for a while, but found I would get sore wrists on a long enough ride. The BRP 1 inch riser cured that and suits me perfectly, but I'm in the minority. Most folks like the upright position afforded by the 3 or 4 inch risers. However, you say you like the sport riding position so it might be worth a try.

Spyder Garage

Before I made that above statement I asked a seasoned race car fabricator what he thought about the handlebars being welded and that was what he told me. Scotty, perhaps you need to find a good welder. So I went back again and he told me he could even make them stronger than stock.
    I know plenty of good welders, and am pretty fair at it myself (although out of practice). I have also raced a lot tube framed dragsters and bikes over the years, and inspected many more as a tech inspector. It is absolutely necessary to reinforce a butt weld in thinwall tubing when you weld it. Nothing else will hold up over time, pass tech inspection, or meet SFI specs. Fabricators use reinforced butt welds only as a last resort. It is considered bad building practice. Even if Magnifluxed and X-rayed, I would not ride such a thing...especially to save $100. Don't let your welder's overconfidence, or understatement of what is really necessary, fool you.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I would have complete confidence in about four welders around me cause I seen what they can do, one has a land speed record at bonneville for a motorcycle. A good weld will rarely break, but the surrounding areas can, but that was'nt the point of the statement. He was asking about options about handlebars, and yes I also thought about new handlebars, but that was obvious and I was keeping it short. What would I do, leave on my risers.
    Happy Spyder Owner

RT-S PE#0256 SyderLovers Sponsor Mad Matt's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The nicest setup is of course the Kewlmetal handle bars!! It provides 3 accessory mount points, 3 choices of bar height, several choices of center console, and you don't have to cut your stock bars.

I really don't see cutting the stock bars as much of an issue, BUT, it's just an advantage of the Kewlbars if you wanted to preserve your stock bars for some reason.

http://www.kewlmetalstore.com/index....ca3bf4768e0524

Mad Matt

Spyder Garage

I also am running with just the BRP 1" riser and have been very happy and comfortable with the riding position. It definitely keeps that sporty feel on the Spyder. My wife's Spyder has the 1" riser and the ESI 3" extensions, and I do not really care for the riding position on hers that much either. I feel a little off balance when I am sitting upright like that for some reason. I am sure I could get used to it over time, but since I am happy with my setup I am going to leave it that way.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Default What does Heli Bar installed look like

What is wrong with the Heli Bar? What does it look like installed? Anyone got pictures? I am debating the NMN risers or those and I've never seen what the Heli looks like so I don't know why some do not like it.

Spyder Garage

Wish I could help you out and take a shot of mine. But my camera is out of commission right now. I need to rectify that. But haven't.

Honestly it's just an offset handlebar from the steering column. The big thing is that the key must insert into the handlebars in the new forward position. The old key hole is covered with an insert that comes with the Heli Bar. I don't find it ugly at all. But some do.

Anyway, I wish I could help you out with a pic. I just can't right now.
    Marilyn

Spyder Garage

Default The hole left

I was doing some reading about the Heli bar, and I thought I read that you can put an 12V accessory jack there now. That is what I was planning to do, but now I'm concerned that it might look stupid!

BillGargan

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda B View Post
    What is wrong with the Heli Bar? What does it look like installed? Anyone got pictures? I am debating the NMN risers or those and I've never seen what the Heli looks like so I don't know why some do not like it.
    http://www.helibars.com/popup/canam/hr08016/01.html

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda B View Post
    Give me a week or so.... I've had the Helibar risers here for a while and between work and the house, I'm finally going to be able to put them on over the next two weeks of vacation. Weather has been so ducky here that I haven't been able to ride much anyway... I will video the install.

I really like the look of the helibar risers though and I did order the powerlet and ram ball panel. I'm just waiting on my PC-8 power bus to arrive and I'll be installing everything.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks!

Great, I'll keep checking for it! I have been curious to see what it looks like and all. Thank you very much! I plan on doing the power outlet thing and I'm not sure about the ram ball panel, but is that to hold a GPS or something??
    Last edited by Amanda B; 12-15-2009 at 09:02 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default kewl bars rocks!!!

I went with the Kewl bars and center console. Glad I made the choice. I know when I attend events everyone always ask. Where did you get the console and the bars sit back perfect. I have a couple of different enlays Matt at Kewl made for me. He also Powder coated a set of ISO grips. You can't beat it. On the long rides I hear a lot of folks complain about arm and hand cramps. Not me!!!! Also have the Kewl cup holder, ipod and gps mounts.

Vwatso