Spyder Garage

Default Anyone have an idea about why my Tail-Lights are Staying on?

An odd occurrence today. After an hour's ride and the engine shut off, the tail-lights remained on. I tried several times turning the key to on and then off again, and each time the tail-lights stayed on. I waited several minutes and the tail-lights did not go off. So I re-started the bike (2021 RT) let it run several minutes then turned the engine off and this time the lights went out. Anyone have an idea of what the problem is?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-09-2024 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you have not had this recall done, it wasn’t your tail nights. It was your brake lights. Applies to all 2021 RTs.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...3V175-2373.pdf

If you have had the recall done, some techs have messed up the adjustment with the two jam nuts. So, if that is the case and if it happens again, or you suspect it might be that, operate the brake pedal to ensure which light circuit it is - brake lights or tail lights - and check the switch operation.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 07-09-2024 at 03:53 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, RLS CD w/ baffle, P238

Spyder Garage

Thanks much for the info. I'll call the dealer tomorrow.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

Hopefully it turns out to be the brake lights and the recall will take of that. If it's not the brake lights, then you are looking at a possible control circuit issue, relay, or short to 12V (bad!!).

I have a hunch that if it were not the brake lights, then you would have also noticed marker lights on, as well any other lights on your model that come on when the taillights come on.

Why Can Am didn't keep the brake circuit on a switched power source (like on a motorcycle ~ where they only come on after the bike is on or running) is beyond me. Good Luck.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-09-2024 at 08:26 PM.
    2023 Spyder F3-S, Manta Green
    2023 Ryker 600 ACE, Black on Black (The wife's toy )
    2020 Kawasaki Z900, Candy Plasma Blue

Spyder Garage

Question,

Does anyone know if this taillight thing is happening on the F3 Spyder models?

Deanna
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-09-2024 at 08:26 PM.

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights
    Marinco 12Volt Power Receptacle with polarized leads & slide lock
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    Question,

Does anyone know if this taillight thing is happening on the F3 Spyder models?

Deanna
    That Recall ONLY applies to the specified years of RT's and some Rykers, so it SHOULDN'T be happening to F3's as well Deanna!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    That Recall ONLY applies to the specified years of RT's and some Rykers, so it SHOULDN'T be happening to F3's as well Deanna!
    HI Pete.

Thanks for the info.
    Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights
    Marinco 12Volt Power Receptacle with polarized leads & slide lock
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by broderp View Post
    Why Can Am didn't keep the brake circuit on a switched power source...
    Federal regulations require the brake and horn circuits to be operable at all times.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    Federal regulations require the brake and horn circuits to be operable at all times.
    The why does my 2020 Kawasaki Z900 NOT do this?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by broderp View Post
    The why does my 2020 Kawasaki Z900 NOT do this?
    AFAIK, it's certainly MEANT to, both in your country and mine!!

This has been an Internationally agreed for all road using vehicles since the early '70's that I'm personally aware of, possibly a lot longer!!

Maybe Kawasaki just aren't as universally 'safe & reliable' as we all thought!! Or possibly someone's played with that on your Kawasaki at some stage after it left the factory??
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-11-2024 at 06:02 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Very likely the brake switch. You may also experience the nanny butting in due to the dirty contacts. Mine made & broke contact a few times thru the full stroke of the switch and randomly woke the nanny. You can test by very slowly pressing foot pedal and watching the brake lights flicker.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

AFAIK, it's certainly MEANT to, both in your country and mine!!

This has been an Internationally agreed for all road using vehicles since the early '70's that I'm personally aware of, possibly a lot longer!!

Maybe Kawasaki just aren't as universally 'safe & reliable' as we all thought!! Or possibly someone's played with that on your Kawasaki at some stage after it left the factory??
    I am in Ohio and been riding for 50 years. None of my two wheeled motorcycles, and there have been many, have brake lights or horns that operate with the key off. My Spyder does and my wife's cars do, but my bikes never have.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-11-2024 at 06:03 PM.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    I am in Ohio and been riding for 50 years. None of my two wheeled motorcycles, and there have been many, have brake lights or horns that operate with the key off. My Spyder does and my wifes cars do, but my bikes never have.
    Isn't that interesting - We've had the 'Horns & Brake lights' thing here in Oz for pretty much all of your riding life (& mine too! ) and while I've visited, lived, & worked in the US & a few other countries besides, riding (& driving ) whatever I could at every opportunity, I can't recall riding ANY motorcycle that didn't also have that feature?? I must admit that I haven't looked it up, but I'm pretty sure that the International Agreement that called for this was well & truly in place in the early '70s - well, I'm pretty sure that it was in place in 1974 when I first got involved in policing that sorta stuff; but if it wasn't then, it certainly was very soon after.

Mind you, if the US opted out of that particular part of that Agreement entirely, it wouldn't be the first thing that some country either never took it up or sought an exemption for something like that, so

Can you recall about when the bikes you rode got hazard lights?? Altho maybe that's not a good example either (I would've said 'indicator', but then... see the next bit! ) cos over there, you still don't have a 'requirement' for separate 'Turn Indicator Lights' &/or 'Reversing Lights', do you?!

Ps: You haven't caught up with the supposed 'need' for the dirty great clunky 'Reversing lights' that we juuust hafta have over here (& in Europe) either, have you?!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-11-2024 at 06:04 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

It's certainly MEANT to, both in your country and mine!!

I'm thinking we are missing something. I bought my 2020 Kawasaki brand new with zero miles on it from a highly rated dealer, and it has never worked as you say it should. No one has messed with the circuit.

I also recall my Z400 also needing to be "ON" to light the tail lights....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-11-2024 at 06:04 PM.

Spyder Garage

Isn't that interesting - We've had the 'Horns & Brake lights' thing here in Oz for pretty much all of your riding life (& mine too! ) and while I've visited, lived, & worked in the US & a few other countries besides, riding (& driving ) whatever I could at every opportunity, I can't recall riding ANY motorcycle that didn't also have that feature?? I must admit that I haven't looked it up, but I'm pretty sure that the International Agreement that called for this was well & truly in place in the early '70s - well, I'm pretty sure that it was in place in 1974 when I first got involved in policing that sorta stuff; but if it wasn't then, it certainly was very soon after.

Mind you, if the US opted out of that particular part of that Agreement entirely, it wouldn't be the first thing that some country either never took it up or sought an exemption for something like that, so

Can you recall about when the bikes you rode got hazard lights?? Altho maybe that's not a good example either (I would've said 'indicator', but then... see the next bit! ) cos over there, you still don't have a 'requirement' for separate 'Turn Indicator Lights' &/or 'Reversing Lights', do you?!

Ps: You haven't caught up with the supposed 'need' for the dirty great clunky 'Reversing lights' that we juuust hafta have over here (& in Europe) either, have you?!
    I believe it was around 1975 when controls went universal. Right foot brake, left foot shift, right hand brake, left hand clutch etc. My 74 Kawasaki Z1 had turn signals and a switch to turn the headlight off. My 81 Suzuki didn't have the switch to turn off the headlight, so it was always on. I have always taken care of my own maintenance including any big jobs such as engine rebuilds. I have never had a bike that would allow the horn or brake light to operate with the ignition off. None of the bikes in my garage will do so with the exception of the Spyder, which I don't consider to be a motorcycle and apparently the feds don't either. I do know that the switches for horns etc. must be clearly marked. Hazard flashers or four-way flashers as they are often called here won't work with the key off on my motorcycles either. I was curious so I checked my bikes and two of my buddies bikes, 18 bikes altogether, and they all work the same way. Obviously, we do have different regs for cars and bikes here and our Spyders follow the car regs. which may be universal regs for all vehicles outside of the U.S.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-11-2024 at 06:06 PM.
    2015 RT , Black