Spyder Garage

Default Where is the Height sensor arm located?

Had the Suspension Fault code come up yesterday and I can tell something is wrong. Been reading on here about a height sensor arm maybe coming loose. Do you take the passenger seat off and take an access cover off to check it or is it something that is visible from under?

Spyder Garage

You didn't mention what model your talking about. Have to lay down on floor and look at swingarm. The linkage bolts up to swing arm. That is first place to look at, report back and we go from there for next problem to fix
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    You didn't mention what model your talking about. Have to lay down on floor and look at swingarm. The linkage bolts up to swing arm. That is first place to look at, report back and we go from there for next problem to fix
    Sorry. 2020 RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kingz View Post
    Had the Suspension Fault code come up yesterday and I can tell something is wrong. Been reading on here about a height sensor arm maybe coming loose. Do you take the passenger seat off and take an access cover off to check it or is it something that is visible from under?
    On my 2012 RTS the arm in mention ( I hope this is what you have in mind) is located here by the arrow.
    No worries, all my panels was off for another job, this can be inspected by just getting down there and look.
    _20230729_154540.jpg
    Last edited by NorwegianRT; 07-09-2024 at 02:40 PM.
    Brgds Martin

First Spyder: RS 2008 Yellow&Black - Current: 2012 Spyder RTS Magnesium, bought new from dealer in 2015.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NorwegianRT View Post
    On my 2012 RTS the arm in mention ( I hope this is what you have in mind) is located here by the arrow.
    No worries, all my panels was off for another job, this can be inspected by just getting down there and look.
    _20230729_154540.jpg
    Yep, that’s about where it is on the ‘20 RT, Martin

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2 taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2 ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

If the arm is in place there is a schrader valve located under the seat where you can add air to the air bag. Check the air pressure. If its below 30 you may be bottoming out. if over 75 or so it may feel like it wants to launch you off the seat everytime you it a bump. You don't say what model you have but it could be a blown fuse for the air compressor, bad compressor, leaking tubing or a hole in the air bag if it's not the arm.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

It’s a 2020 RTL. Thanks for the replies. I think this is it and it looks fine. My next question was going to be how much air should be in the bag but sounds like I’ll pump it up to 30 lbs tomorrow. The compressor is working by the way. I can’t figure out how to add a photo.
    Last edited by Kingz; 07-09-2024 at 09:17 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    If the arm is in place there is a schrader valve located under the seat where you can add air to the air bag. Check the air pressure. If its below 30 you may be bottoming out. if over 75 or so it may feel like it wants to launch you off the seat everytime you it a bump. You don't say what model you have but it could be a blown fuse for the air compressor, bad compressor, leaking tubing or a hole in the air bag if it's not the arm.
    It’s a 2020 RTL. Thanks for the replies. I think this is it and it looks fine. My next question was going to be how much air should be in the bag but sounds like I’ll pump it up to 30 lbs tomorrow. The compressor is working by the way. I can’t figure out how to add a photo.
    If you've got a height sensor that's working as part of the Suspension Height setting, then just as long as there's SOME air in the airbag (it needs about 10psi minimum), you don't need to and really shouldn't worry about 'how much' air/air pressure is in there, just that there's SOME!

Quite simply, regardless of how much air you put in &/or might want to have in it, the moment you start to ride, the automatic system will adjust whatever pressure is in there to meet & maintain its specified/hard-coded preset ride height!! So if you add more air than it wants/needs to do that, it'll very quickly be bled out! Similarly, if you lower the pressure to something you think works best for you/your riding comfort - I'm sorry, but tough, cos as soon as you start riding, the system will add air to return the bag to a pressure that'll achieve its preset ride height level!

If you have access to BUDS/BUDS-II, you might be able to go thru the process of changing the preset ride height to something you prefer, but otherwise, you're wasting your time doing anything apart from checking that it's still got some air in it and that it's not leaking down overnight/to nothing while you ride; &/or ensuring that none of those other things Ed mentioned aren't causing you issues!

Just Sayin'
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-09-2024 at 09:51 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

If in fact your bikes throwing a code, you may want to just take it into the shop and have them put it on the computer and make sure that sensor that you were looking for is in fact working the way it should, and that the systems not leaking down. You will burn your pump up then you'll ether have a big bill to change your pump or be back to us asking how to go to a manual fill!! Good luck!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I will take it in but I’ve had bad experiences and heard so many horror stories about dealers that it scares me. In the meantime- Put some air in last night and took a ride and no suspension fault. It did lose some air overnight but wasn’t flat.