Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default RT and the cruise control

This question is mostly for Freditor, because of his experience, others might be interested also.

In the 2010 RT Manual on page 17 there is a WARNING “It is not recommended to use the cruise control when towing a trailer.” I was just wondering why? It seems to me that the whole idea of the cruise control was to CRUISE while on a trip, and that trip would include pulling a trailer. I know Fred has put over 6 K miles on his RT with trailer. What are your thoughts about this?

Spyder Garage

Standard lawyer language, IMO. My Ford F-150 SuperCab has the same warning. Like on wet roads and in inclement weather, using it is at your own risk.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Standard lawyer language, IMO. My Ford F-150 SuperCab has the same warning. Like on wet roads and in inclement weather, using it is at your own risk.

Spyder Garage

Default Cruise with Trailer

Sorry for the delay in responding, guys. I just saw this message today.

I actually had never noticed that disclaimer in the Owner's Manual, but would have to agree it is a lawyer's "cover your ass" statement. I have used the cruise control extensively while towing the trailer - probably in excess of 8,000 miles worth - with no problems at all. Naturally, with an extra 500 lbs. behind the bike, the cruise is slower to respond on an uphill pull, and tends to overrun a bit on downhills, but never so much that it was a problem.
    Fred

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the update Fred!!