Spyder Garage

Default Trying to decide between this 2019 RT Ltd or a 2024 year/model - advice?

Hello…
    I am trying to decide if I should get this 2019 RT Ltd or... spend the money on a new 2024?
    I have a Ryker right now - great fun. But I need something to tour with.
    I know some older Spyders have issues. Don’t know much about the 2019 year models.
    Would love some feedback on the 2019 models.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-09-2024 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Like buying any used vehicle, does the 2019 come with all of the receipts for necessary maintenance work?

How many miles has it been driven, and do the tires look good?

Have you heard it run and have you driven it?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-09-2024 at 11:39 PM.
    racoon
    Middle Tennessee
    2024 CAN-AM Spyder RT Sea-to-Sky - Vegas White Satin
    2023 Honda Ridgeline Sport - Sonic Grey Pearl (aka Baby Blue)
    2024 RT Sea-to-Sky , Vegas White Satin

Spyder Garage

Also, have all the recalls been done, if there are any?

Deanna
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-09-2024 at 11:39 PM.

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights
    Marinco 12Volt Power Receptacle with polarized leads & slide lock
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

If you can get the 2019 at a great price, don't be scared of it. Mine has 55,000 plus miles on it, so I figure it's just passed getting broken in.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-09-2024 at 11:40 PM.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Get a new '23 model!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-09-2024 at 11:41 PM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The moment after you sign for that '24 Spyder, it'll lose $3000.00 in deprecation! .... The 2019 didn't have any glaring faults that come to mind .... they might have the front sprocket wear issue .... but so may the '24 .... I have a '14 RT with 82,000 + mi. and am still quite happy with it. Your money, your call! Good luck ....Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-09-2024 at 11:42 PM.

Spyder Garage

I had a 2019 Spyder RT Limited and it was ok. However, the 2023 is a lot better. Much smoother at 80 mph. The 2019 had a vibration at high speeds.
    It had a recall for the sprocket that never was fixed, since it was not worn enough.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-09-2024 at 11:42 PM.
    2023 RT Limited , Red/ black

Spyder Garage

If you can afford the new one, that would be the way I would go, especially if you don't do your own wrench turning. Good luck
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Hell ... You can likely find a new/leftover 2022 somewhere. I agree with a new leftover 2022/2023.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

If the 2019 is a chrome version, then it has the best-looking OEM front wheels ever put on a Spyder! I have two 2018's and have put PPA ORB wheels on both of them. Would have gone with the 2019 chrome wheels; however, they cost twice the cost of the PPA wheels.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-10-2024 at 02:47 PM.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

go for the 24 they really did a nice job reconfiguring the hand controls

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chasdog View Post
    I had a 2019 Spyder RT Limited and it was ok. However, the 2023 is a lot better. Much smoother at 80 mph. The 2019 had a vibration at high speeds.
    It had a recall for the sprocket that never was fixed, since it was not worn enough.
    Glad to know my vibration from about 71-73 is normal. It's odd and goes away after 74ish.
    2019 Spyder RT Ltd. Bought in Jan 2024. Can-Am states only.

Slingmods USB and QuadLock phone mount with vibration dampener | Highway pegs
    Rear GENERAL ALTIMAX RT45 SL 225/60R-15 tire | Drink2Go front/rear Cupholders
    3D printed Turn Signal/Shifter caps | KOTT Grill covers
    LED Headlights | LED Foglights | High Mount Trunk brake/turn lights with brake strobe
    Pedal Box+ w/BT | Show Chrome gas shock for rear trunk
    Foam Grips | Red Rim Covers
    VIOFO MT1 Front/Rear Dash Cam system | Upper Radiator Exhaust Block (SpyderPops)
    ShowChrome Heavy Duty seat shock | RLS Cat/Primary Muffler Delete
    BRP Intake Air vents

Spyder Garage

If you're looking at a '19, you're far better off bumping it up at least one year and get a '20 or newer. The 2020 RT was totally redesigned and it's a much more comfortable riding position. It's the same engine and transmission as the '19, there's just more creature comforts. You won't be sorry.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

I wouldn't be afraid of the 2019, especially if it has been cared for. Spyders, like Harleys, are often purchased and then are nothing more than butt jewelry that might see 1000 miles a year. I don't know how many miles on the 2019, but I recently passed 50,000 on my 2015, and since it has been trouble-free, I plan on keeping it for a long time.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-10-2024 at 06:32 PM.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

My 2014 has fewer than 60 miles to go to reach 88K and I have absolutely no intention of trading it for any kind of new Spyder.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-10-2024 at 08:52 PM.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Just bought a 2023 RTL new for $23500.
    Mike Branscum
    2023 Spyder RT Limited Carbon Black

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I would either look at a 2020+ (possibly a leftover 2023 at a good deal), or take a look at something from 2014-2017. I say that because the basics of the 2014-2017 are like the 2019, except for bluetooth and digital dash, and the earlier models will be cheaper. Seems like most people want as much for a 2019 as you can get a redesigned 2020+ for. Also, since you ride a ryker, take a look at a F3L. They can be great for touring, with a little less storage than the RTL, but the position is closer to your ryker.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    If you're looking at a '19, you're far better off bumping it up at least one year and get a '20 or newer. The 2020 RT was totally redesigned and it's a much more comfortable riding position. It's the same engine and transmission as the '19, there's just more creature comforts. You won't be sorry.
    Plus you get LED lights all around. A much better lighting experience.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    I would either look at a 2020+ (possibly a leftover 2023 at a good deal), or take a look at something from 2014-2017. I say that because the basics of the 2014-2017 are like the 2019, except for bluetooth and digital dash, and the earlier models will be cheaper. Seems like most people want as much for a 2019 as you can get a redesigned 2020+ for. Also, since you ride a ryker, take a look at a F3L. They can be great for touring, with a little less storage than the RTL, but the position is closer to your ryker.
    That depends, I picked up this 2018 with Elka shocks, 8k miles, OEM driver's backrest, and Chrome mirrors added by original owner for $15.5k in January. I like the digital dash.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-11-2024 at 05:51 PM.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    That depends, I picked up this 2018 with Elka shocks, 8k miles, OEM driver's backrest, and Chrome mirrors added by original owner for $15.5k in January. I like the digital dash.
    Wow! You did well. Most of the 2018-2019 that I have seen, people tend to want nearly as much or sometimes more than I paid for my 2021 RTL. But I must admit that I got a steal. I have owned mine for 18 months now and still have only seen one 2020+ at the price that I paid for mine with 460 miles.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I had a 2015 RT and I've had my '21 RTL long enough to put 18k on it. The '21 RTL is a world of difference, and I would not go back.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-13-2024 at 03:11 AM.
    2021 RTL Marsala Dark Edition 4.13.2021
    Lamonster Riser
    Spyder Extras Docking station
    Zumo XT (my own Plug & Play cable)
    WrapMySpyder Carbon fiber partial kit.
    Baja Ron ultra performance sway bar and end links

2015 RTS SM6 Intense Red
    born on date 3/2015 (mine on 9/12/15)
    Sold on 4.13.2021 33k of fun.

Spyder Garage

If you can get a new in the box 2022 or 2023 they are cheaper than they were new.
    iMotorsports out of Chicago was just offering new 2023's for $24k; they do free shipping to you also.

Just my 2 cents worth.

OR

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ited-21-500-00
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-13-2024 at 08:54 PM.
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

Speaking from experience, spend the extra dollars to get a 2020 or newer RTL or Sea to Sky. Nothing wrong with the 2019 and older bikes so long as they have the bells and whistles that you want BUT the 2020 and newer RT is an entirely different animal as far as comfort and handling is concerned. I had a 2019 and loved it but traded for a 2022 Sea to Sky and can tell you without a doubt that they ride and handle differently. Sure, if you buy a new or hold over bike you will suffer immediate depreciation but let me assure you that you won't regret it.
    Bartender
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

I typically buy the latest model vehicle I can afford, but not the current year's model. There is way too much instant depreciation on the current year model. I happened upon a great deal on my 2019 RTL with only 3800 miles on it in January, so I bought it sort of on impulse, and I absolutely love it. There are just a few things where some of the aftermarket stuff is available only for 2020+. Also, the newer RTL editions have much more storage space. But to me, maintenance and warranty are paramount to the the TCO. (Total cost of ownership.)
    2019 Spyder RT Ltd. Bought in Jan 2024. Can-Am states only.

Slingmods USB and QuadLock phone mount with vibration dampener | Highway pegs
    Rear GENERAL ALTIMAX RT45 SL 225/60R-15 tire | Drink2Go front/rear Cupholders
    3D printed Turn Signal/Shifter caps | KOTT Grill covers
    LED Headlights | LED Foglights | High Mount Trunk brake/turn lights with brake strobe
    Pedal Box+ w/BT | Show Chrome gas shock for rear trunk
    Foam Grips | Red Rim Covers
    VIOFO MT1 Front/Rear Dash Cam system | Upper Radiator Exhaust Block (SpyderPops)
    ShowChrome Heavy Duty seat shock | RLS Cat/Primary Muffler Delete
    BRP Intake Air vents