Spyder Garage

Default Air Hawk vs Badass seat pads - will the cheaper Badass wear as well?

My wife and I both need seat pads for our aging seats (butts) Badass pads are cheaper than Air Hawk… but I want pads that will last. So - will the cheaper Badass stand the wear and weight (I’m 215 lbs) as good as the Air Hawk?

Ryde, eat, sleep.... repeat

2019 Spyder RT Limited Pearl White/Dark
    LaMonster drink holder with X-Grip
    LaMonster Belt Dampener
    Lamonster USB cable with extension

Variously called Stormtrooper, Pearl, and Goober by wife and various (friends?)

Spyder Garage

I've had 2 Air Hawks and 1 Wilda$$ cruiser pads over the past 15 yrs, Both Air Hawks sprung leaks at the valve base and was not fixable. The Wilda$$ has been solid for 5 yrs so far with no leakage. Bottom line: Wilda$$ is at least as good as Air Hawk.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member Dasmoetorhead's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I've got the Butt Buffer. Spendy, but it works.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-04-2024 at 08:55 AM.

Retired U.S. Coast Guard 76-97
    2022 F3S , Monolith black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy66 View Post
    My wife and I both need seat pads for our aging seats (butts) Badass pads are cheaper than Air Hawk… but I want pads that will last. So - will the cheaper Badass stand the wear and weight (I’m 215 lbs) as good as the Air Hawk?
    Wife has been using the same AirHawk for a solid 25 years. She likes it, to say the least...
    Last edited by BoatFixx; 06-04-2024 at 10:05 AM.

Spyder Garage

Both my wife and I are using AirHawks, have so for at least 5 years. Many miles and hours in the saddle. They work GREAT. Sit in an Airhawk, not on it.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    I've had 2 Air Hawks and 1 Wilda$$ cruiser pads over the past 15 yrs, Both Air Hawks sprung leaks at the valve base and was not fixable. The Wilda$$ has been solid for 5 yrs so far with no leakage. Bottom line: Wilda$$ is at least as good as Air Hawk.
    Are badass and wildass the same pads?
    2019 Spyder RT Ltd. Bought in Jan 2024. Can-Am states only.

Slingmods USB and QuadLock phone mount with vibration dampener | Highway pegs
    Rear GENERAL ALTIMAX RT45 SL 225/60R-15 tire | Drink2Go front/rear Cupholders
    3D printed Turn Signal/Shifter caps | KOTT Grill covers
    LED Headlights | LED Foglights | High Mount Trunk brake/turn lights with brake strobe
    Pedal Box+ w/BT | Show Chrome gas shock for rear trunk
    Foam Grips | Red Rim Covers
    VIOFO MT1 Front/Rear Dash Cam system | Upper Radiator Exhaust Block (SpyderPops)
    ShowChrome Heavy Duty seat shock | RLS Cat/Primary Muffler Delete
    BRP Intake Air vents

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dasmoetorhead View Post
    I've got the Butt Buffer. Spendy, but it works.
    I have a buttbuffer pebble polymer due to arrive any day. I don't know if you have the same model, but how does it act in the rain? Stay dry, stay wet, or easily dryable?

LED Headlights | LED Foglights | High Mount Trunk brake/turn lights with brake strobe
    VIOFO MT1 Front/Rear Dash Cam system | Upper Radiator Exhaust Block (SpyderPops)
    BRP Intake Air vents

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Allen42 View Post
    Are badass and wildass the same pads?
    No. Different products. Search Amazon for all 3 - Bad ass, Wildass, & Air Hawk to compare.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member Dasmoetorhead's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have a buttbuffer pebble polymer due to arrive any day. I don't know if you have the same model, but how does it act in the rain? Stay dry, stay wet, or easily dryable?
    I can't say, since I haven't ridden in a heavy rain yet. The cover comes off, and the Gel pad will not absorb water.

Retired U.S. Coast Guard 76-97
    2022 F3S , Monolith black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll look at all 3 on Amazon…

Ryde, eat, sleep.... repeat

2019 Spyder RT Limited Pearl White/Dark
    LaMonster drink holder with X-Grip
    LaMonster Belt Dampener
    Lamonster USB cable with extension

Variously called Stormtrooper, Pearl, and Goober by wife and various (friends?)

Spyder Garage

When I went to install my brand new buttbuffer for my girlfriend's seat, I realized that I've been using the badass seat cushion without the insert for a while, mostly to prevent "swamp-a$$". My only complaints about the badass so far is that the front strap wasn't long enough, had to use a velcro extension, the creases that are developing will surely get annoying and lead to wear, and when you leave it out and it gets rained on, it stays wet and will soak your butt, especially near the crotch.

We did about an hour on the ButtBuffer, and the girlfriend likes it a lot. She did not like the BadAss. Time will tell if it creases or has other issues.

I will probably buy an AirHawk to try it out.

Pics: Badass in front (currently unattached so you can see extender), approx 2 months / 2,000 miles on it. ButtBuffer in back, 1 hour on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

BRP Intake Air vents

Spyder Garage

I found this AirHawk competitor, and did not find any hits on "Grand Pitstop" search here, so I thought I'd throw it into the ring. I might try this since Amazon is so lenient with the cost-free returns. My main concern is how it attaches... I don't want anything hard rubbing against my paint. I think this may also be a concern with AirHawk if I read their site correctly.

https://a.co/d/cUMIYo9

Update: Just ordered one. Will arrive Sunday. I might also not like the permanent pump pouch.... will take pics and you all know.
    Last edited by Allen42; 06-07-2024 at 04:38 PM.

BRP Intake Air vents

Spyder Garage

I use an air type cushion for a kayak. The wife bought a gel type pad I don't remember the name of now. She likes it on longer rides, although we have not had that opportunity on the Spyder yet.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-08-2024 at 04:47 AM.

Spyder Garage

I found this AirHawk competitor, and did not find any hits on "Grand Pitstop" search here, so I thought I'd throw it into the ring. I might try this since Amazon is so lenient with the cost-free returns. My main concern is how it attaches... I don't want anything hard rubbing against my paint. I think this may also be a concern with AirHawk if I read their site correctly.

https://a.co/d/cUMIYo9

Update: Just ordered one. Will arrive Sunday. I might also not like the permanent pump pouch.... will take pics and you all know.
    The pitstop looked cheaply made, and would not strap around the seat. I returned it.

BRP Intake Air vents

Spyder Garage

When I went to install my brand new buttbuffer for my girlfriend's seat, I realized that I've been using the badass seat cushion without the insert for a while, mostly to prevent "swamp-a$$". My only complaints about the badass so far is that the front strap wasn't long enough, had to use a velcro extension, the creases that are developing will surely get annoying and lead to wear, and when you leave it out and it gets rained on, it stays wet and will soak your butt, especially near the crotch.

We did about an hour on the ButtBuffer, and the girlfriend likes it a lot. She did not like the BadAss. Time will tell if it creases or has other issues.

I will probably buy an AirHawk to try it out.

Pics: Badass in front (currently unattached so you can see extender), approx 2 months / 2,000 miles on it. ButtBuffer in back, 1 hour on it.
    My GF did 300+ miles on the buttbuffer gel this weekend. Even with a bulging L5 she had no problems and loves it.
    I need to buy another for myself I guess. Regarding the air filled ones, the badass is cheapest, then airhawk, then wildass. So not sure which to start with.

BRP Intake Air vents

Spyder Garage

Update: I've ordered the BadAss air bladder one from Amazon. Will let you know how it works out.

BRP Intake Air vents

Spyder Garage

The badass air seat arrived yesterday. Seems well made. It does seem to have exactly the same cover material as the non-airversion I posted above, so I am worried about it developing creases that could irritate me later.
    It comes with elastic bands that are supposed to cross under the seat. These will barely stretch and fit under the front seat on my 2019 RTL and seem to want to bunch the cover up when connected, so I did them straight across underneath, which works fine. I took it on about a 45 minute city ride and played with it at a couple different inflation levels. I settled on maybe 1/3 inflated per their suggestions, and now I squish down into it, almost touching my seat. It is definitely much more cushioning than the stock seat or the non-air bladder version I was using. It does however, allow for some lateral movement which is a little unsettling in the curves--I don't feel as glued to the bike as without it. Also I noticed some new pressure on my legs below my butt that I hadn't noticed with the previous cushion or no cushion. They weren't to the point of being sore, but something I will want to monitor. It also does provide enough airflow to avoid swamp butt, but that area I mentioned on the back of my legs did get a little damp with sweat.

I will ride as much as I can this weekend, and update everyone. I also want to try to get my GF to trade me her ButtBuffer for this BadAss for a ride or two and compare them.

BRP Intake Air vents