Spyder Garage

Default Aluma UT10 or OHT3 - which Trailer would you get?

I have an opportunity to buy either an Aluma UT10 trailer or an OHT3 trailer. I have a Spyder and 2-wheeler. Which one would you get?

TX, Bob

UT10 -

OHT3 -
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-09-2024 at 02:28 PM.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bangorbob View Post
    I have an opportunity to buy either an Aluma UT10 trailer or an OHT3 trailer. I have a Spyder and 2-wheeler. Which one would you get?

TX, Bob

UT10 -

OHT3 -
    That UT10 is going to have a lot of drag from the tailgate after you raise it ..... JMHO .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-09-2024 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

If it’s like the UTR, the ramp retracts, rather than folds up.

20210607_131651_Original.jpg

Mine is a 14 ft though, and it holds the Spyder and my son’s Victory. I think a 12 would have been tight, and a 10 ft would have been too small. I have to pull the rear tire in toward the rail to have room to tie down the Victory.

20210607_131725_Original.jpg

Tire stop for left front on the edge of the picture.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-09-2024 at 05:23 PM.
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

New prices are very different.

OHT3 - US $7,500

UT10 - US $3,498

Both have more than enough load capacity for a Spyder.

The UT10 has a slide in ramp, not a fold up ramp, so drag isn't an issue:

https://youtu.be/oIaPfK5lKzA?si=_UvkjKdS_Is-kxh5
    racoon
    Middle Tennessee
    2024 CAN-AM Spyder RT Sea-to-Sky - Vegas White Satin
    2023 Honda Ridgeline Sport - Sonic Grey Pearl (aka Baby Blue)
    2024 RT Sea-to-Sky , Vegas White Satin

Spyder Garage

The Aluma is also very light, I don’t even know it’s back there. I am able to maneuver it onto the boat pad just by pushing it.
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I probably should have stated they are both used. Around the same price. About the same distance to go pick up.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I probably should have stated they are both used. Around the same price. About the same distance to go pick up.
    Like I said above that RAMP is going to catch a lot of air...... If it we mine I'd make sure I had plenty of weight on the tongue while towing at highway speeds. ..... If cost etc. is about equal - get the OHT 3 ....good luck ...Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Like I said above that RAMP is going to catch a lot of air.
    The UT10 has a slide in ramp, not a fold up ramp, so drag isn't an issue:

https://youtu.be/oIaPfK5lKzA?si=_UvkjKdS_Is-kxh5
    racoon
    Middle Tennessee
    2024 CAN-AM Spyder RT Sea-to-Sky - Vegas White Satin
    2023 Honda Ridgeline Sport - Sonic Grey Pearl (aka Baby Blue)
    2024 RT Sea-to-Sky , Vegas White Satin

Spyder Garage

OHT3 would be my choice, it looks a little more aerodynamic in my eye's! But keep in mind that with a open trailer your bike is going to be subject to everything coming down the road like you rode it there, except some of the stuff will be hurled from your car tire tires! Enclosed would be my real choice of trailers, as a matter of fact I am looking for one as we speak, just haven't found one that my pocket likes!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have the Aluma with SuperClamp SpyderChocks, which are removable. It's the best setup since sliced bread because it is a multi-use trailer. This Aluma, as mentioned here, has the slide away ramp. A very nice feature. Mine has the fold up ramp which catches air but my towing rig, a 7.3, doesn't care.

Spyder Garage

Correct.... the silde away ramp, slides into the trailer bed so it does not catch air. You can also get the front cover air dam ( up to 24 inch high IIRC ) to stop anything coming up from the tow vehicle.

If towing with a small SUV check the towing capacity. My 2022 Toyota highlander has a 5000 lb limit BUT only with trailer brakes. Without it is only 1000 lb. Be sure to check if the transmission can handle the load. IE toyota says tow only in manual mode with their v6 /transmission in manual mode and do not use 6th gear

IIRC ALuma offers trailer brakes but maybe not on the UT10 or UT12. UT 14 does have the option. But that increases cost of course.
    Last edited by WRCLVR; 05-10-2024 at 01:38 PM. Reason: added info
    2024 RT Sea to Sky screen now working but codes will remain until BRP releases the ACP update.
    2023 RT Sea to Sky Shadow Green (guess what? NO errors at all in 9 months of owning!) Such a sweet S2S :-)

Spyder Garage

Thanks to all who replied. I like them both, but for different reasons. The OHT3 lowers all the way to the ground. I wouldn't say NO chance of scraping, cus there's always a possiblity. On the other hand, the UT10 is probable more useful overall and the fact the the ramp slides into the trailer is a plus.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P

Spyder Garage

I bought a UT-10 a number of years ago! Love it. The front shield and toolbox are great. No road junk to speak of, just rainy dust. I do not cover it while hauling. I also like the fact I can easily use it for other things. I added e-tracks for the front wheels and some halfway down the siderails so I would have more tiedown options. one thing you will need will be two six foot ramps to get the front up high enough to not rub the nose. I just strap them on the trailer or, now with the pickup, put them in the bed. Our Rav-4 hauled the RT fine. The Tacoma is even better. yes:
    2021 F3 Limited. 2013 RT Limited.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Myron Ah View Post
    I bought a UT-10 a number of years ago! Love it. The front shield and toolbox are great. No road junk to speak of, just rainy dust. I do not cover it while hauling. I also like the fact I can easily use it for other things. I added e-tracks for the front wheels and some halfway down the siderails so I would have more tiedown options. one thing you will need will be two six foot ramps to get the front up high enough to not rub the nose. I just strap them on the trailer or, now with the pickup, put them in the bed. Our Rav-4 hauled the RT fine. The Tacoma is even better. yes:
    Thanks for the info. You are the first one to mention that I would need extra ramps. I would be hauling with either an Acura MDX or a Roadtrek RV. Trying to convince my wife I NEED my 5th Tacoma.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P

Spyder Garage

Hmm, I don’t need extra ramps on mine but maybe it’s a little longer on the 14’ so it doesn’t have as steep of an angle?

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RapidSpyder View Post
    Hmm, I don’t need extra ramps on mine but maybe it’s a little longer on the 14’ so it doesn’t have as steep of an angle?
    The ramp I believe is 57" long on the UT10
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P

Spyder Garage

TX, Bob

UT10 -

OHT3 -
    After watching numerous videos and reading a lot of reviews, I opted for the OHT3. I bought new, in Jan of this year & towed it home from (near) Denver in miserable weather, with a Hybrid vehicle. My wife & I took turns driving and didn't even know it was behind us; the OHT is light, aerodynamic, well balanced, tracks perfectly, and is dead silent; but I wouldn't tow it loaded behind a small hybrid vehicle!

I recently drove to Minneapolis with a friend, picked up his new 2023 RTL and drove home (some 250 miles) with the same results... and got 15+ mpg @ interstate speeds with my F150 3.5 Ecoboost.

With 1,000 miles on it, and only 1/4 of them loaded, here are the upsides and downsides:

UP's:
    As mentioned above, the OHT is light, aerodynamic, well balanced, tracks perfectly, minimal bouncing, and is dead silent.
    It comes with a jack and castor wheel, making it very easy for one person to roll it around and attach; the jack folds and locks against the spare tire.
    No ramps! There is an air dump valve on the right fender that deflates the airbags and drops the rear to the pavement and the entire deck becomes your ramp. No worries about clearance!
    Once you are on, you use a remote on your new key fob to "air up" the suspension.
    Comes with AL wheels, good tires & locking lug nuts.
    Has optional brake axle, if you want. (extra $)
    Offers a Spyder specific tie down kit. (extra $)

DOWN's:
    It is pretty wide, wider than my F150, so you have to be very watchful on corners.
    Can't see the tail end of the trailer when towing and you can't tell where it is when backing up.
    Lighting is minimal; what little clearance lighting there is won't tell you where the fenders are in regards to the lanes at night.
    The onboard air system is adequate, but the air tank is a sealed frame crossmember and doesn't seem to have enough capacity to raise the bed in "one shot"; it takes 3 cycles for the compressor to raise the bed when fully loaded with my RTL (just takes a little longer than I had hoped!)
    When the deck is aired down, there is still about a 1 1/2 to 2 inch "jump" to get on; still, it's not a bad deal, it just could have been designed a little better.
    If you have a flat, I think it's going to be more difficult to raise as the air suspension needs to be locked to lift the tire. (fingers crossed)

Overall, I really like the trailer. I hope to update this after I have pulled it (loaded) for a while. I hope this helps in your decision-making.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-11-2024 at 07:50 AM.

2020 Spyder RT Limited; Deep Marsala/Chrome

Formosa AZ01 165/50/R16's on PPA Recluse wheels up front
    General Altimax RT43 215/60/R15 on factory rear

Primary exhaust: RLS Cat delete w/ his baffle; secondary, custom built w/ Flowmaster HS2
    Suspension: BajaRon swaybar (highly recommended!), M2 coil-overs, front & rear (also highly recomended!)
    Extra LED lighting and misc. to suit my needs/wants

Spyder Garage

I looked at those OHT3 trailers. Very nice. No ramp needed. My only concern would be what happens if the air ride system fails. I know that might be rare. But, as a retired oilburner/heating system repair technician, I saw to many "down' heating systems that had "special things' on them like sidewall venting so a chimney was not needed. I dislike "special" stuff. And, my UT-10 is handy for use as a plain ole flatbed hauler for lumber or blocks. I use it to get my pallet of wood pellets. The store loads the pallet onto my trailer and I drive, slow around 40ish as it is a ton of pellets, the couple miles to my home. I do not know if that could be done with the OHT3.
    2021 F3 Limited. 2013 RT Limited.