Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 12 volt socket-advice

Is it difficult to install a 12 volt socket on my 09 SM5 Spyder? How?
    THanks.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Perry View Post
    Is it difficult to install a 12 volt socket on my 09 SM5 Spyder? How?
    THanks.
    If you mean the one that go's in the trunk, Just follow the instruction's that come with it. Word to the wise= The instruction's forgot to mention a fuse[ 3 ] amp. Also forgot to mention that after the key is turned off the power turns off in 20 sec. Had i known this [20 sec.] i would have wired directly to the battery .

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    If you mean the one that go's in the trunk, Just follow the instruction's that come with it. Word to the wise= The instruction's forgot to mention a fuse[ 3 ] amp. Also forgot to mention that after the key is turned off the power turns off in 20 sec. Had i known this [20 sec.] i would have wired directly to the battery .
    As an alternative, you can attach to the "Unswitched Accessory" harness. This one is tied to the wiring harness near the center of the Spyder, instead of tucked in the left control strut like the other. I don't remember if the connector is the same. For battery charging, recharging your cell phone, and some other things, a full time outlet is a necessity. (Be careful you don't inadvertantly run down the battery.) I got mine unswitched outlet by installing Powerlet outlets in the dash, one switched and one unswitched. These are attached to an auxiliary fusebox under the hood. Pics in my album.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I installed two of them...one on each side of the top Y-panel. First I added a 20 amp fuse to the fuse panel and installed a separate buss connected to that fuse. I connected the v12-volt out lets to two 5 amp fuses in the buss
    Last edited by irish2themax; 12-06-2009 at 06:34 AM.
    In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God. God looked down upon Ireland and said "Damn, I'm good!"

2009 POW*MIA SE5

Spyder Garage

Default 12 Volt Dealer Install

Had the dealer install the 12 volt receptacle. Cheap and not a big deal until I got it home. Yep it didn't work, like some others have mentioned I ckd the 3 amp fuse and sure enough it wasn't in place, ah ha I thought installed the fuse. Well it still didn't work.
    Called the dealer and they were dumbfounded or dumb not sure which. The guy at the counter said maybe it was an inline fuse. Can't figure why you would need an in line fuse when it's fused at the fuse box. Maybe belt and suspender philosophy at Ride Now.
    You would think they would've ckd this thing to see if it works before giving it back, well I should have ckd it to apparently. So goes motorcycle repairs.
    Happy owner, so far

Spyder Garage

look at my profile ,i got picture
    great feed back with pictures

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jimmykjimmy View Post
    Had the dealer install the 12 volt receptacle. Cheap and not a big deal until I got it home. Yep it didn't work, like some others have mentioned I ckd the 3 amp fuse and sure enough it wasn't in place, ah ha I thought installed the fuse. Well it still didn't work.
    Called the dealer and they were dumbfounded or dumb not sure which. The guy at the counter said maybe it was an inline fuse. Can't figure why you would need an in line fuse when it's fused at the fuse box. Maybe belt and suspender philosophy at Ride Now.
    You would think they would've ckd this thing to see if it works before giving it back, well I should have ckd it to apparently. So goes motorcycle repairs.
    Be sure they didn't get the polarity reversed. With the fuse IN, that might be your problem.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Spyder Garage

Default 12 volt receptacle dealer installed

I just read the service report (normally don't) the 12V socket was installed directly to the battery, so obviously the fuse wasn't necessary. Yeah maybe the polarity is reversed. Who knows it now has become their problem. All they needed to do was test it before they handed it off, and all this could have been avoided.
    Happy owner, so far

Spyder Garage

Don't trust the service report. If they can't follow direction on the wiring, then they might not have an idea if its a direct wire (hot all the time) or accessory wire (delayed shutoff). If they use one of the ready made pigtail (tied off on the frame section) then it's going thru the fuse panel. I really hope they didn't run a new wire directly to the battery and without a fuse .... that would be a real hack job IMO.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS