Spyder Garage

Default Swapped Battery, radio presets kept - how is that memory powered?

Just finished swapping out batteries on 2018 RTL (if you have fat hands like me, get a skinny friend to help) and was surprised to see my radio station presets were still there and I had nothing to change! The old battery was out of the bike for days waiting for my new one to come, so I assume there is some internal memory. If so, where does that power come from? I am curious how this works.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-01-2024 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

it might be something like an EPROM flash semiconducter that stores those features at key off. Your total mileage and trip meters are saved forever, so maybe the radio presets too
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Non-volitile memory chips....... various types with varying properties.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-volatile_memory

There can also be a small battery good for many years on a circuit board that can maintain a small volume of information for many years.

Some of the chips can be reprogrammed when power is on; but will hold the same zeros and ones when the power goes off.

Been a lot of advancements in computer chips in the last 3 or 4 decades and some of it is not well known. The miniturisation and addition of huge amounts of storage space is fairly well known, however, many of the Hard Disk systems which stored information magnetically on a disk, are now being replaced entirely by Solid State Drives, which store information on memory chips similar to a thumb drive. The advantages are much faster read and write, as well as zero moving parts. Solid state drives come in a vast array of capacities, with the larger ones able to replace the traditional disk storage hard drives on laptops and other devices.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-01-2024 at 11:56 PM.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

How about trip meters? usually what gets lost on mine 13

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox