Spyder Garage

Default After better performing, longer lasting, Rear tire suggestions?

Hi everyone, I am looking to changing the rear tire, it needs it! I am running a Kenda OEM tire and like any suggestions for a better and longer lasting rear tire.

I have 2010 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 998

Thank you.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-02-2024 at 07:58 PM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by langevn View Post
    Hi everyone looking to changing the rear tire it need it. i am running Kenda oem tire and like to know what best suggestion for better and longer lasting rear tire
    I have 2010 can am spyder rt-s se5 998

Thank you
    If you want the best tire ( currently available ) the Vredestein " QUATRAC " 205/60-15 @ $ 125.00 delivered from Tire rack ..... or what I have a RIKEN - 215/60-15 @ $ 80.28 delivered from Tire Rack ..... I have tested both and to me the Riken is almost as good as the Quatrac but $ 40.00 less ..... If you buy either from Tire Rack ....DECLINE TO TELL THEM WHAT VEHICLE YOU ARE PUTTING IT ON - THEY CAN'T LEGALLY SELL IT TO YOU ..... it's not a Mtc tire & they don't understand ..... Spyder wheels are the same a Auto wheels - PERIOD .... good luck ....Mike ........ If your wondering - well does Mike know tires ask on the Forum what others think
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-01-2024 at 11:15 AM.

Spyder Garage

Please do some searching.... there's quite a number of threads on this already! (I went with the General Altimax 45.)
    2019 Spyder RT Ltd. Bought in Jan 2024. Can-Am states only.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Allen42 View Post
    Please do some searching.... there's quite a number of threads on this already! (I went with the General Altimax 45.)
    Also a great tire @ $ 122.00 available in 225/60-15 @ the tire rack ......Mike

Spyder Garage

I think a 2010 Spyder uses a 14" tire.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    I think a 2010 Spyder uses a 14" tire.
    14" front tire only, and only a few years before going to 15". All Spyders use same rear tire 15"
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

What size you have for the rear General Altimax 45

Spyder Garage

I run the General Altimax RT43 in size 215/60-15 at 18psi on my 17 RTL. It has been a great tire for 24000 miles now.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-01-2024 at 11:52 PM.
    2017 RTL Asphalt Grey Metallic Chrome
    2017 RTL , Asphalt Grey Mettalic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I run the Altimax 45 in 215/60R15, it's a few pubic hairs narrower than stock, but not as likely to wear-out the center. I have 6K on it now & it's wearing even across the face with 7/32" tread left.

I really like this tire! We found a winner! Bill
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knizar View Post
    I run the Altimax 45 in 215/60R15, it's a few pubic hairs narrower than stock, but not as likely to wear out in the center. I have 6K on it now & it's wearing even across the face with 7/32" tread left.

I really like this tire! We found a winner! Bill
    Well in reality a wider tire is MORE likely to wear out the middle .... As an example, the Kenda 165 width front has never had a Middle wear problem, I've never heard of any that wore the middle at all .... However, we all know about the Kenda rear tire @ 225 width .... that tire has middle wear issues because its carcass is weakly made and starts to Balloon out in the middle at about 35 mph .... and the faster you go the more it balloon's out .... this is the Science for Kenda tires .....Mike

Spyder Garage

Hi guys, this is a little hard for me, I live in Ontario Canada.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-02-2024 at 08:32 PM.

Spyder Garage

That shouldn't be an insurmountable problem langevn; I live in South Australia on the other side of the World, but our cars and Spyders here Down Under still use tires and there are retailers who will sell them & even strip & refit them for us if we can't/don't want to - even some (not too many tho! ) who'll take the wheel off the Spyder to do all that!

Sorry, I just hadta!!

All that aside regardless of the year &/or model, your Spyder is running car tires on car rims, so if you can take the wheel assembly off your Spyder and take it in to any tire retailer, they should be able to supply and fit a suitable tire. For the rear, apart from chasing the increasingly uncommon OEM size (possibly a deliberate ploy by BRP to try and force us to use their expensive & arguably crappy OEM Kenda tires! ) many Spyder Owners have found that just about any quality tire in the sizes of 205/60 or 65; 215/60 or 65; or 225/60R15 will work well, especially if you don't run them at the 28-35 psi sort of pressures you need to run when they're fitted to a car that weighs 2-3 times more than your Spyder - for most, 16-18 psi is an ideal pressure for rear tires fitted to a Spyder.

Apart from that, do spend some time searching & reading the numerous tire threads that are already here on the Forum - we've got a LOT of Canadian members here, and there are many of them who have mentioned the brand/model/size tires that works for them; so do the searching/reading if you want to go with any of those, or you can check out those threads & posts before making your own choice/picking your preferred option in the tires that might be readily available from any of your local retailers in one of the sizes mentioned above. There's also a fair bit of previous discussion on how to remove the rear wheel; how to strip & refit the tire; getting the wheel balanced or not; what pressures are best and why; and a heap more - and I hafta add, it really doesn't seem to matter much which side of the border (or the World) you're on - tires seem to be something we all use and have at least a little interest in, and I don't think there's anyone who hasn't been able to find SOMETHING to put on their Spyder.... at least, if they haven't found anything, they haven't told us here - not yet, anyway!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thank you for all the help

Spyder Garage

Look at the "tire rack" website. .... and see if they have tested any of the tires you can get Locally ..... I have found that the tests are Valid for our Spyders as long as you REDUCE the PSI's down to about 16 to 19 psi..... I don't know if tire rack ships to Canada, however e-bay does, and most tires can be found there also. .... If you use Tire Rack ....DECLINE TO TELL THEM WHAT VEHICLE YOU ARE USING THEM ON/FOR ..... they will very likely REFUSE to sell them to you if you say it's for a Spyder or Can Am! ..... Good luck ...Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-04-2024 at 12:18 PM.

Spyder Garage

Hi everyone, I finally ordered a General Altimax RT43 215/60r15 - there wasn't much difference between 43 and 45, so I took the 43 tire. It looks good and now the big question is - what is the psi you guys put them at?
    Thank you
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-05-2024 at 11:36 PM.

Spyder Garage

Hi everyone, I finally ordered a General Altimax RT43 215/60r15 - there wasn't much difference between 43 and 45, so I took the 43 tire. It looks good and now the big question is - what is the psi you guys put them at?
    Thank you
    Blueknight - Mike, included that info in his post just above yours.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Look at the "tire rack" website. .... and see if they have tested any of the tires you can get Locally ..... I have found that the tests are Valid for our Spyders as long as you REDUCE the PSI's down to about 16 to 19 psi..... I don't know if tire rack ships to Canada, however e-bay does, and most tires can be found there also. .... If you use Tire Rack ....DECLINE TO TELL THEM WHAT VEHICLE YOU ARE USING THEM ON/FOR ..... they will very likely REFUSE to sell them to you if you say it's for a Spyder or Can Am! ..... Good luck ...Mike
    I haven't yet found too many people &/or ryders + pillions who are heavy enough to warrant running pressures anything much higher than those pressures when running any 'better quality than the OEM things' in a higher load capable car tire that's carrying significantly less than its maximum loading under a Spyder, even when fully loaded & running 2-up; altho maybe if you are running fully loaded at high speeds for an hour or more at a time, you might need to go as high as 20 psi to prevent the tire from over-heating... But in my experience, not too many will need to do that, not even here in Oz, where we tend to do a fair bit of riding over looong HOT miles!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-05-2024 at 11:46 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thank you