Spyder Garage

Default After decent Ride/Route fm Maggie Valley to ToD or Cherohala Skyway?

Hello All

What would be a decent ride/route from Maggie Valley to Tail of the Dragon and/or Cherohala Skyway?

Thank you for any info.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-30-2024 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Here's a suggestion, U.S.-19 through Cherokee and Bryson City minimizing time on U.S.-74 I would take to the Skyway. The Dragon is overrated IMO. Excuse the small burp in Bryson City:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Magg...!3i3?entry=ttu
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-01-2024 at 12:39 AM.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Here's a suggestion, U.S.-19 through Cherokee and Bryson City minimizing time on U.S.-74 I would take to the Skyway. The Dragon is overrated IMO. Excuse the small burp in Bryson City:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Magg...!3i3?entry=ttu
    about "The Dragon" ..... been in Maggie V a few times & and much prefer the RATTLER (I think it's 242 - you should get the local MTC maps offered free at Welcome Centers there) .... way less traffic, and never saw a LEO there either ....enjoy ... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-01-2024 at 12:39 AM.

Spyder Garage

JayBros, the Dragon may be overrated, but it's one of them bucket list things one must do in their life! Semper fi.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-01-2024 at 05:59 AM.

Spyder Garage

Living where I do, one doesn't have to contend with crotch rocket jackasses, and there are lots more fun and challenging roads. Semper Fi!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-01-2024 at 06:11 AM.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Living where I do, one doesn't have to contend with crotch rocket jackasses, and there are lots more fun and challenging roads. Semper Fi!
    Wayah Rd, Elijay Rd, 28, 178, 215, I could go on and on.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

I haven't ridden Tennessee or NC in about 10 years, but I do know that pretty much any route you can find to get there, barring interstates, is a beautiful ride. The Cherohola Skyway is an incredible ride. The Dragon is fun too, if you get there early and on a weekday with less traffic. Like was mentioned above, you may find better rides, but the Dragon for us was a must ride, if only for the t-shirt and patch

Have fun!! 2025 trip so far is back to Tenn and NC area - maybe the Blue Ridge. Either way, will be the mountains in the east........
    Last edited by Jesster72; 05-01-2024 at 08:08 AM. Reason: splelling.....
    2022 Sea to Sky

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I used to take 19, as it was before stated, but in order to take in the beauty of the Cherohola Skyway, I usually just take 19 over to Cherokee and then jump on 74 to 28 and then go towards Robbinsville to get to the Cherohola first. If it allows in your time, go ahead and do Foothills Parkway in both directions before coming back to hit the Dragon. Keep in mind that construction and repaving on the Tenn. side of the Dragon is supposed to start today, so there will be lane closures. It is only supposed to happen Mon-Thurs. If that is the case, I suggest going early Friday morning before the crazy crotch rocket racers hit. My next visit there will be in July. It will be a one day drive up from Charlotte. I need to get a photo of my Lightning on the dragon. Lol!
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

A note on The Dragon, it is being repaved so their may be some delays on it.

Resurfacing work upcoming on US 129 -

https://www.tn.gov/tdot/news/2024/4/...e-dragon-.html
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-01-2024 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Exposed hidden URL to minimise spam/scam opportunities...
    2023 Ryker Rally - Heritage White III
    Sport Windshield
    GPS Holder

Spyder Garage

In my opinion the Dragon is overrated and dangerous at times due to the idiots coming the opposite direction who come over the center line on blind curves. The Cherohola is beautiful, not challenging at all. The scenic views on the Blue Ridge Parkway make for a great ride, but the 45 mph speed limit and heavy enforcement is a pain. As others have said, the roads in that part of the country are great for riding. Another great area if you get to it is southeast Ohio around Athens.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)