Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Trailer &/or Dolly - trailer that also might carry a small coupe...

We just bought a new motor home and want to take the RTL with us on trips. I'd also be interested in a trailer that would be large enough to carry a small car, a 2013 Honda Accord Coupe (can't flat-tow), that gives us the either or; car for cold weather winter trips, bike for warm. The Coupe could also be towed on a 2-wheel dolly so that's also an option worth considering, but that would mean two trailers!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-20-2024 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly detail the requirement... ;-)
    2018 RT Limited , OXFORD BLUE METALLIC Dark Edition

Spyder Garage

They make racks that sit side sideways off the bumper that, then you could hitch a car dolly up and shoot down the road. That is if your RV will take the load!! Have seen pictures of the system, just don't remember where!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I went down several rabbit holes trying to find you a single trailer capable of carrying either an Accord Coupe or a Spyder.
    The main problem I ran into is that a trailer that will carry the weight of the Accord comes with two ramps for the tires.
    I did find some trailers with a "gate" instead of ramps, but they're designed for commercial lawn mowers, and the gate/ramp won't handle the weight of the Accord.

And then I found this:

Hydralift's CanAm Spyder Trike Lift

https://hydralift-usa.com/can-am-spyder-lift/

It attaches to the back of the motorhome, and then you drive the Spyder on from side, then "lift" it up.
    And after lifting the Spyder up you still have access to the tow hitch, although there would still be an issue to work out about whether there is clearance between the raised platform with the Spyder on it, and the front end of your Accord while it's sitting on a 2-wheel dolly.

https://hydralift-usa.com/wp-content...086-spyder.jpg
    racoon
    Middle Tennessee
    2024 Can-Am Spyder RT Sea-to-Sky - Vegas White Satin
    2023 Honda Ridgeline Sport - Sonic Grey Pearl (aka Baby Blue)
    2024 RT Sea-to-Sky , Vegas White Satin

Spyder Garage

That's what I was talking about, good catch!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by racoon View Post
    The main problem I ran into is that a trailer that will carry the weight of the Accord comes with two ramps for the tires.
    Another thought that came to me last night.

Look for a trailer that will handle the weight of the Accord, and then contact the manufacturer about the possibility of buying a third ramp.
    The down side is that most of the trailers I looked out stored the ramps in "slings" under the trailer bed when they weren't in use, which would mean you'd need to think about how to secure the 3rd ramp.

https://www.trailersplus.com/web-pic...Ch2Brk-104.jpg
    racoon
    Middle Tennessee

Spyder Garage

Thanks fellow Ryders, one and all! And raccoon, not surprised you went down a rabbit hole at all We have a Shiba Inu and she's always doing that! I'm reminded (but forgot! ) of those solutions from research I did a year or more ago. The hydro- is shown mounted on pushers, and our rig is a gasser on a F53 Ford chassis, but still this is an option IF it can handle the additional weight of the lift mechanism in addition to the bike. Another I have read about is called a swivel wheel, which requires two receivers on the coach, and has a rather large caster (13" tire I recall) wheel in the rear center of the platform to carry the load. For the most part I was thinking of a Stinger, and a dolly for the car. The Stinger could also be used with my Ridgeline to tow for other transit needs. All food for thought!

Spyder Garage

Anybody out there have a used Stinger they want to let go?
    -doncanfix2

Spyder Garage

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-Can-AM-Spyder

Was still available last week …

White 2015 F3-S SE6 - “Gypsy” (hers)
    Yellow 2017 F3-S Daytona 500 SM6 (his)

Spyder Garage

I went down several rabbit holes trying to find you a single trailer capable of carrying either an Accord Coupe or a Spyder.
    I did find some trailers with a "gate" instead of ramps, but they're designed for commercial lawn mowers, and the gate/ramp won't handle the weight of the Accord.

And then I found this:

Hydralift's CanAm Spyder Trike Lift

https://hydralift-usa.com/can-am-spyder-lift/

It attaches to the back of the motorhome, and then you drive the Spyder on from side, then "lift" it up.
    And after lifting the Spyder up you still have access to the tow hitch, although there would still be an issue to work out about whether there is clearance between the raised platform with the Spyder on it, and the front end of your Accord while it's sitting on a 2-wheel dolly.

https://hydralift-usa.com/wp-content...086-spyder.jpg
    The long rear over hang of the MH pictured would never be able to handle the weight of a spyder on a lift. Without a tag axle, that would be a load for a diesel pusher.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by doncanfix2 View Post
    Another I have read about is called a swivel wheel, which requires two receivers on the coach.
    A quick check with Google, and swivel wheel trailers look interesting, and they have a "tandem tow" option.
    The bike would go on the platform, and it looks like it would be fine:

Swivelwheel-58DW Tandem Tow e(Dual Wheel) Systems have a weight capacity of 1200 pounds.

There're even pictures of a Spyder on the deck.

https://www.cruiserlift.com/id77

But the documentation says is the vehicle has to be flat towed.

"Swivelwheel-DW58 Tandem Tow. The Swivelwheel-DW58 Tandem Tow has the ability to carry up to
    1,200 pounds and flat tow a vehicle up to 6,000 pounds. For years, customers have been asking for this capability, but
    until recently it has not been available. Through years of design and engineering, we now offer this feature with the
    Swivelwheel-DW58 Tandem Tow. This system can also use the 6” extension for a wider platform. The tow vehicle must be
    towed with all four wheels down and have a braking system."

https://irp-cdn.multiscreensite.com/...ook%202020.pdf

A Stinger and a dolly for when you want to tow the car would work, but then you're back to two trailers.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-23-2024 at 01:38 AM.
    racoon
    Middle Tennessee

Spyder Garage

Take your first trailer set up and throw a third plank down!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A quick check with Google, and swivel wheel trailers look interesting, and they have a "tandem tow" option.
    The bike would go on the platform, and it looks like it would be fine:

Swivelwheel-58DW Tandem Tow e(Dual Wheel) Systems have a weight capacity of 1200 pounds.

There're even pictures of a Spyder on the deck.

https://www.cruiserlift.com/id77

But the documentation says is the vehicle has to be flat towed.

"Swivelwheel-DW58 Tandem Tow. The Swivelwheel-DW58 Tandem Tow has the ability to carry up to
    1,200 pounds and flat tow a vehicle up to 6,000 pounds. For years, customers have been asking for this capability, but
    until recently it has not been available. Through years of design and engineering, we now offer this feature with the
    Swivelwheel-DW58 Tandem Tow. This system can also use the 6” extension for a wider platform. The tow vehicle must be
    towed with all four wheels down and have a braking system."

https://irp-cdn.multiscreensite.com/...ook%202020.pdf

A Stinger and a dolly for when you want to tow the car would work, but then you're back to two trailers.
    That would definitely be my recommendation.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

In similar circumstances I’ve used an all-aluminum trailer such as the following, they can be found with as much as 24’ on the deck. Even installed a hitch on my Honda so that I could move the trailer around in case I needed to move it to overflow parking. Used with a TPMS and the extra protection offered by a shield and/or solid aluminum deck, it is great for avoiding road damage to the bike and car. You’ll be amazed how handy an aluminum trailer is to have around.

https://www.sundownertrailer.com/tlr-ULTRA.html
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-27-2024 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Removed Post title - they mess with Searching! ;-)

Spyder Garage

Thank you, I just so happen to have been shopping around for utility trailers! Thanks for the link! Our target is to have a solution before our first major trip in July!

Spyder Garage

Fellow Ryders,
    I decided to go with two trailers, a dolly (I think) for the Coupe and a Stinger (gonna buy) for our motor home vacation adventures! We're mostly takin' the bike with us but who knows how long that my best gal will do that... she luvs her Coupe! I'm going to keep this open for any further suggestions on the best quality dolly others have used, and maybe no longer have a use for them?

All the best!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-29-2024 at 02:15 PM.