Spyder Garage

Default Any feedback on aftermarket seats - Ultimate vs Corbin?

Looking for some feedback about replacing the stock seat. I am considering either a '23 Sea to Sky or the newly updated '24 Sea to Sky. I have done some initial research and have determined that there are a fair number of people who upgrade their seats, especially if they plan to do longer rides & touring. So I guess my main question is any feedback &/or pro's/con's on Ultimate Seats vs Corbin Seats? Does one stand out for a specific reason?

Thanks in advance for your information!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-18-2024 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Removed Prefix - this is not a Product Review; & Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Ride it a few months and see how you like the stock seat before investing $1k on a seat. With that said, Corbin is gonna be firmer and Ultimate more similar to stock.
    Mike Branscum
    2023 Spyder RT Limited Carbon Black

Spyder Garage

I think that the first thing you might do is give Motorcycledave (motorcycledave.com), one of the site sponsors, a PM or call and talk to him about his gel seat pad that goes under the seat cover. I put one in my Spyder, and it turned a 1-hour seat into an all-day seat for 80 bucks for the pad and $30.00 for an air stapler. I really liked that seat that way and rode comfortably for several years. After the seat was 10 years old the upholstery failed and I did buy a custom seat from Hartco International. Mark Hart was very helpful and has been making great seats for a very long time. Since I had that seat made, I have also found out that motorcycledave also does custom seats. Since he builds custom seats for people who are wheelchair bound, he must do a really good job.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-19-2024 at 01:19 AM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I have an Ultimate and I don't consider it any better than the OEM, I really doubt you can tell the difference without looking,
    for $2 grand there are better options before spending that much
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-19-2024 at 06:46 AM.

Spyder Garage

In my opinion, I'd find a place that would do a ride in and have a custom seat made. I live about 2 hours from Corbin and have had them make seats for the last 4 bikes I have owned. The biggest secret is to do as I mentioned and do a ride in and have the seat made custom while you wait. Buying a "custom" seat off the shelf over the internet is not much different than the stock seat. By going in person you get it made the way you want, to fit you. With all that being said I am really partial to Corbin. Here is a link to the write up I did on them making my seat https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...in-Custom-Seat.
    2022 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
    In my opinion, I'd find a place that would do a ride in and have a custom seat made. I live about 2 hours from Corbin and have had them make seats for the last 4 bikes I have owned. The biggest secret is to do as I mentioned and do a ride in and have the seat made custom while you wait. Buying a "custom" seat off the shelf over the internet is not much different than the stock seat. By going in person you get it made the way you want, to fit you. With all that being said I am really partial to Corbin. Here is a link to the write up I did on them making my seat https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...in-Custom-Seat.
    Great advice about the ride in way to do it. Virtually all are in California which is difficult to do for most of us. Corbin IMHO is the worst when it comes to customer service! Bought a seat for my Victory, from my dealer in N.Y.. It didn't fit! Sent it back at my expense and they returned it. UNTOUCHED! Wife and I found a way to make it fit by making two brackets ourselves. I would never buy another Corbin. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

I am presently using a "Custom Made" seat by Seth Lamm. I sent in a stock seat, pictures of me on the bike. Told him what I wanted. It's been a great seat for me. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Thank you all who took the time to reply! I appreciate your feedback and advice. I hope to pull the trigger on the purchase in the next month. I plan to ride it for awhile, get comfortable with it and then decide about any seat changes, if needed. Thanks again for the great info!

Spyder Garage

I have a 2022 RT STS with about 1200 miles on it. I tried an Ultimate seat and wasn't happy with how it positioned me. I returned it after two days. The more I ride with my OEM "comfort" seat, the more I like it. Gonna give it a full solid season before I make any decisions. A Russell day Long seat would be a main consideration.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Don't the Sea to Sky's already come with some sort of Upgraded seat?

We've had Ultimate & Mustang seats on our previous 4 Spyders.
    The stock seats on our new 2023 RT's are the best yet and we don't feel either need changing.
    Marilyn 2023 RTL Red
    John 2023 RTL Black

previous:
    2015 RTS SE6 Red
    2015 F3S SE6 Silver
    2011 RT SM5 Silver
    2013 STS SM5 Silver

"common sense will prevail....but we see no sign of that"

Spyder Garage

I put a Corbin seat on my 2008 GS Spyder. It even came with a built in gas door. I always thought it was necessary to replace the OEM Spyder seats. I did it on six out of seven Spyders over a 15 year period.

I am one of the few who "liked" the Corbin. The "likers" say the seat is firm. In 36,000 miles it never broke in much different from the day it was installed. It was definitely an all day seat though. I went on many excursions with that Spyder.

Never had an Ultimate seat. There are many comments from people who purchased them. They were all good. We used BRP upline seats. Four of our replacement seats were "comfort" seats and on my F3L I put on a BRP Cannonball seat.

Seats are a very personal thing. I also recommend a thousand miles on the OEM seat before making a $500 to a $1K plus on the upline seat. Linda actually liked the OEM on her final F3L, so that was the only seat we never "upgraded" on.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I've used Corbin seats on multiple bikes and love them. Excellent quality, IMO. I did use a Mustang seat once and it was pretty good too. Not sure if they're still around.
    The Corbin for the spyder adds significantly more width and is much more comfortable than stock.
    They do take time to break in though, so you have to expect that.
    2022 Spyder RT Ltd Petrol Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nhoj View Post
    Don't the Sea to Sky's already come with some sort of Upgraded seat?

We've had Ultimate & Mustang seats on our previous 4 Spyders.
    The stock seats on our new 2023 RT's are the best yet and we don't feel either need changing.
    It does.. It is the extra cost comfort seat.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I have the Corbin one-piece and love it. But it's all in the arss of the beholder.

2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Consider Kromm and Tango’s words, Shadowmoose. Do it once and do it right. Buy a custom built seat from Seth Laam or Daylong. They guarantee the seat will give you all day comfort, and will adjust it, if it doesn’t.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red