Threaded View

Spyder Garage

Unhappy Turn signals work sometimes; hazards always - maybe a Cluster problem?? Ideas?

So Seriously upset at the moment... It seems as though my cluster is to blame for my intermittent turn signals problem.
    2011 RS SE5

Turn signals work sometimes, but not often.. I know it is not the bar switch. I know this because the indicator will not light when they don't come on... But if the switch is on and I smack the console or gauge it usually comes on. (tapping the switch does not fix it)

I think the switch feeds the console then to the lights.

Hazards work all the time.

I have inspected the wiring and plug terminals. There is nothing there that is out of place. (Auto wiring is one of my passions) But cluster in hand I can reproduce "the make it work" by slightly tapping on cluster.
    I have used a light compressed air to blow out any dust or dirt. Cover on and off. Didn't make a difference at a all.

I'm off work on illness turned wrongful dismissal since Sept. Sadly, I need to sell the bike to recover some debt. Needs to pass a safety and signals won't work for the mechanic.
    I'm feeling a little sick at the thought that the fix to my "turn signal issue" is a new instrument cluster
    In Canada that is almost $1000 plus I am sure there is programming the dealer gets to charge me for.
    In what world should a or ANY turn signal problem cost that much to fix?
    Is there any place to get a used one and can it be programmed?
    Wondering if one of our electronic repair shops in town can check for the loose/dirty connection. But I assume they need to be able to power it and the BUDS is so "protected" they would have little knowledge to attack it with... But they have fixed many car amplifiers for me in the past. So who knows?

Any advice/links to cheap parts used or new, or help is very much appreciated.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-15-2024 at 04:36 PM.