Spyder Garage

Default What are you using for a keyring?

Just brought my new-to-me Spyder home. Neither of the keys have any way to attach them to a key ring... How has this group solved that problem?? I hate just putting it in my pocket and hoping it does not fall out.

Windhound
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-14-2024 at 03:58 PM.

Spyder Garage

Lots of places sell a cover for the Spyder keys that has a hole for the key ring.

I think some of the vendors here have them.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Don't you still have the black plastic sheaths the keys came with originally??

They have a small ring thru the hole on the pointy end to let you attach them to a chain, a fob, or whatever, and they seem to work pretty well to me!! Mine still work fine after 10+ years and a lot of miles; and they keep the key's profile in good condition too; no knicks or wear in the profile &/or damage to the grooves etc. despite them often being jammed in amongst a pocket full of other keys, a bunch of coin, and the odd tool, socket, or file etc. where there's been plenty of opportunity for extra wear &/or damage to the important bits!

Failing still having the OEM Sheath, Lamonster & a few others sell 'key fobs' or 'key covers' for the other end of the key, the handle end, that go around the bit of the key you grasp to turn which have holes in them for a wire or key ring; and if you search back thru the older threads here, there's a bunch of info on how to locate the right spot and drill a hole thru the handle end of the key so you can add a key ring.

Mind you, IMHO the OEM Key Sheath is still by far the best option, and IIRC, you can even get new replacements from BRP... not sure how expensive they might be tho?!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Crazy metalman on the jungle website

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dusterdude View Post
    Crazy metalman on the jungle website
    This is what I use, they can be bought from Amazon.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh jezuz, come on who else carries a file around in their pocket, own up!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-14-2024 at 07:57 PM.
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage
    2012 Viper Red RT-S (Sold)
    2020 Ryker Rally
    2023 Plasma Red F3 Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I swallow the key and regurgitate when needed. No key ring needed. Tried to get on with the circus but couldn’t multi task and swallow fire like they wanted. So I stick to my usual routine.

Spyder Garage

Here's what the original CAN-AM keys and their plastic sheaths look like.

https://anvis.iaai.com/resizer?image...845&height=633

As you can see, there's a hole at the end of the sheath, which I have attached to a keyring, which also has my house key, and the lock key/pin for the Arkon motorcycle mount I use for a Garmin Zumo XT GPS.

MC25MMB mount.jpg
    racoon
    Middle Tennessee
    2024 Can-Am Spyder RT Sea-to-Sky - Vegas White Satin
    2023 Honda Ridgeline Sport - Sonic Grey Pearl (aka Baby Blue)
    2024 RT Sea-to-Sky , Vegas White Satin

Spyder Garage

Drill a hole in them. Lamonster has video showing where to safely drill.
    2020 F3 base, cruise control, pedal commander
    Lamonster led headlights and fog lights
    Bikemaster heated grips
    F4 windshield,Shad side bags
    Quick detach rear rack,Baja Ron swaybar

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JB62 View Post
    This is what I use, they can be bought from Amazon.
    Damn .. They went up stupid in price. I paid $13 a few years back. I also have these. Can't really lose them https://www.slingmods.com/canam-spyd...ers?search=key

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I use the a generic key ring attached to the OEM plastic sheath. I don’t like having a key ring attached to the key itself while riding because I don’t like the added weight pulling on the key over time while it’s in the ignition and I don’t want scratches from a key ring rubbing against the body work.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by racoon View Post
    Here's what the original CAN-AM keys and their plastic sheaths look like.

https://anvis.iaai.com/resizer?image...845&height=633

As you can see, there's a hole at the end of the sheath, which I have attached to a keyring, which also has my house key, and the lock key/pin for the Arkon motorcycle mount I use for a Garmin Zumo XT GPS.

MC25MMB mount.jpg
    When stopping for lunch, the key goes in the little watch pocket of my riding pants. The rest of the time it is on the OEM key holder on my key ring.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-15-2024 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Fixed attach display ;-)
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Simple hang around the neck and under the shirt.

IMG_0870.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-15-2024 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Fixed attach display ;-)
    2024 F3-S

Spyder Garage

FYI information - Not related to Spyder, but possibly could be. My old 2010 F-150 has an electronic chip embedded in the head of the key to activate an antitheift device of the ignition switch. After about 10 or 12 years the plastic part covering the head of the key had deteriorated to the point that one day when I stuck the key in the truck door to unlock the door, the plastic part broke into several pieces and fell on the partking lot. The key with a bare head was still sticking in the truck door. I saw that a round coin shaped piece was missing out of the bare key. Found the little coin shaped piece on the asphalt below the truck door. I picked that up and stuck it back in the broken key. As long as the coin shaped piece was held in the broken key by hand, the truck would start. Once the truck was started, it would keep running even if you put the coin shaped piece in the console tray.

I already knew that a locksmith would charge well over $100 to reproduce a set of working keys compatable with the truck anti-theift ignition. Since the broken key would start the truck if the coin shaped anti-theift device was held in place, there was no reason to give a locksmith $100 or get out the extra keys for the truck. I had a couple of JB Weld epoxy sets in my tool box. When I got back home, I cleaned all the broken, deteriorated plastic off the bare key. Roughed up the key some with course sand paper to help the JB Weld hold. I put the coin shaped piece back in the round hole it came out of. Tried it in the truck to be sure it would start the truck. It did, so I completely covered the key, with the anti-theift coin device back in place, with JB Weld. First covering was a little messy looking due to having to be smeared on. I let that cure for 48 hours. Then sanded the JB Weld down smooth and re-shaped the edges to a smooth finish. Tried the repaired key in the truck, and it worked. I put one more thinner coat of JB Weld on the key to make it stronger. After it cured, I sanded that down smooth, drilled a hole in the top that would miss the anti-theift device, and painted it black.

The key repaired with JB Weld is stronger than the original plastic truck keys. Still using the repaired key, years later, and it works fine every time. It cost about $4 worth of JB Weld to fix the key instead of > $100 to a locksmith. The only difference in the repaired key and the original is the lack of the brand logo on it, and that has nothing to do with the way it works.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    FYI information - Not related to Spyder, but possibly could be. My old 2010 F-150 has an electronic chip embedded in the head of the key to activate an antitheift device of the ignition switch. After about 10 or 12 years the plastic part covering the head of the key had deteriorated to the point that one day when I stuck the key in the truck door to unlock the door, the plastic part broke into several pieces and fell on the partking lot. The key with a bare head was still sticking in the truck door. I saw that a round coin shaped piece was missing out of the bare key. Found the little coin shaped piece on the asphalt below the truck door. I picked that up and stuck it back in the broken key. As long as the coin shaped piece was held in the broken key by hand, the truck would start. Once the truck was started, it would keep running even if you put the coin shaped piece in the console tray.

I already knew that a locksmith would charge well over $100 to reproduce a set of working keys compatable with the truck anti-theift ignition. Since the broken key would start the truck if the coin shaped anti-theift device was held in place, there was no reason to give a locksmith $100 or get out the extra keys for the truck. I had a couple of JB Weld epoxy sets in my tool box. When I got back home, I cleaned all the broken, deteriorated plastic off the bare key. Roughed up the key some with course sand paper to help the JB Weld hold. I put the coin shaped piece back in the round hole it came out of. Tried it in the truck to be sure it would start the truck. It did, so I completely covered the key, with the anti-theift coin device back in place, with JB Weld. First covering was a little messy looking due to having to be smeared on. I let that cure for 48 hours. Then sanded the JB Weld down smooth and re-shaped the edges to a smooth finish. Tried the repaired key in the truck, and it worked. I put one more thinner coat of JB Weld on the key to make it stronger. After it cured, I sanded that down smooth, drilled a hole in the top that would miss the anti-theift device, and painted it black.

The key repaired with JB Weld is stronger than the original plastic truck keys. Still using the repaired key, years later, and it works fine every time. It cost about $4 worth of JB Weld to fix the key instead of > $100 to a locksmith. The only difference in the repaired key and the original is the lack of the brand logo on it, and that has nothing to do with the way it works.
    Exactly what I would have done I have DESS disabled on my Spyder so that little item isn't an issue any longer.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Vinkon View Post
    Drill a hole in them. Lamonster has video showing where to safely drill.
    Just offering an assist here; the video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFmAHsv5JmA

With great anxiety, I did this; it worked out fine.

You might also take a look at this thread: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-with-that-key

This one is good too: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...yder-key-video
    Last edited by Gekko; 04-15-2024 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Added links.
    Gekko (Larry)

2019 Spyder RT SE6

BRP Driver Backrest [219400679]
    Can-Am Spyder RT Magnetic Side View Mirror Mounting System (2010-19) [SM-4018, TAC Designs at SlingMods.com]
    Centramatic Wheel Balancers [MCAS400-410]
    Grab On Grips Grip Covers [FBA_MC402]
    Hopnel Cargo Organizer Nets For Can-Am Spyder RT [41-156]
    Hopnel Four Piece Luggage Set For Can Am Spyder RT [HCTL + HCSL]
    Marinco Power Products Pro Receptacle (in frunk) [12VRCTT.OEM]
    AmazonBasics Dual-Port USB Car Charger Adapter [CLA-2U5480_white]
    RAM 1" Ball Compatible Dash Mount (Black Powder Coated) [RT-RAM3]
    Various RAM mount components, phone mount, camera mount...
    2019 Can-Am Spyder RT / RT Limited Series Repair and Maintenance Manual Master Collection [Best Shop Manuals 180317]
    Show Chrome 41-180 Shorty Antenna

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by happyspyder2039 View Post
    I swallow the key and regurgitate when needed. No key ring needed. Tried to get on with the circus but couldn’t multi task and swallow fire like they wanted. So I stick to my usual routine.
    That’s what she said

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Here is a side/side of the MetalMan key holder and the one carried by Slingmods. The Slingmods key holder allows you to carry extra keys that won’t make contact with the dash cover. I like it better. Just some FYI …
    Attached Images Attached Images

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue