I purchased the Elka Stage 2 package after sending an inquiry to Elka and John (the same guy from the Lamonster garage video) called to see what my needs were. After a short discussion (my prime concern was to reduce the push in high speed corners) he recommended the Stage 2 set up for my weight (210) and compression set to -10. They arrived in less than 2 weeks even though the website showed up to a 3 month wait.

The install was fairly easy after I ran the Spyder up on a set of car ramps so that I could slide the automotive style floor jack under the front end. We removed the top and bottom bolts which do require some trial and error to get the bolts back through the top bracket of the shocks.

The shocks were installed with the body up, (same way John installed them on the video) the shrader fitting facing in at the top and the bottom rebound screw to the rear. This is the opposite to the directions and the way the KYB shocks were installed (body down emulsion shock) but I wanted to keep the unsprung weight of the shock attached to the body not the moving assembly it is trying to control.

We took some measurements for the ride height (about 16 1/4" before the install and 16 3/4" after) (the shop manual says that the c-c measurement on the mounting bolts should be 16 17/32") after the install resulting in the front end being up about 1/4". A short putt around the block and it was evident that the ride was more firm as expected. The measurements for ride height at the shock mounting bolts must be done with the rider(s) and bags etc. on board. This measurement requires a helper who is still flexible and can take the measurement in a confined space. The top shock bolt is not visible without getting down between the fender and the body and looking up so it is partially by feel.

After doing some more highway riding to allow the front springs to settle I will recheck the ride height and see if I want/need to loosen off a bit of the preload to bring me closer to the 16 17/32" spec?

A day later I took the Spyder out on the highway for a 100 mile/160 km round trip and as soon as I got up to highway speed it became evident that the Spyder was a different machine to drive. It no longer was skittish like it had been since new and I could relax and enjoy driving it more like my pickup. It no longer wandered constantly over the lane but went where the steering was pointed. WOW! The side wind and large trucks were no longer much of a problem.

Conclusion:

The spring and shock package is definitely a keeper but the huge straight line improvement was a result of the change in ride height (preload on the springs raising the front end) not the new Elka stage 2 package itself.

The spring shock package has reduced the body lean in the corners and the Spyder feels much planted but in our part of the country the highways haven't been swept yet so going into a corner at higher speed is not recommended until the grit has been removed and we get a good shower to clean off the fine stuff.

I am not a night rider by choice but the headlights are now slightly higher when dimmed and illuminate the road farther because of the change in pitch of the front end riding higher.