Spyder Garage

Wink Replaced the OEM battery on my 2021RTL (Pic)

Posting strictly to keep my post count respectable = :)

Have had some battery flat issues in the past, always chalked them up to listening to the radio with the motor off. Also, have taken the OEM battery to a knowledgeable battery purveyor in the past to do a load test with positive results but, the ultimate finally happened, she just wouldn’t respond to float charging any longer. FWIW I stopped at the local Can Am dealer first, to give them my business (Purchasing a new battery). For those unaware, Jake (Me) bought this RT and the Ryker I Had from Cycle Zone Powersports in Topeka Can-ass. Great dealer IMNSHO. Every transaction I’ve had with them went smoothly so, if you’re looking to buy new or used Can Am, look no further. They are a small dealer (compared to the big conglomerate dealers) yet they move quite a few units through their doors. Service is top notch too. Anyways, went to the Can Am dealer in Ocala Fla. to buy a battery and almost had a heart attack when the parts guy told me the cost was $225 for a new OEM battery. I’ve done plenty of business with the previous dealership proprietor, but these new guys always hit me with absurd prices for just about everything. Last purchase made there was a part for my Ryker. Can’t recall exactly what the part was but the price was $25 and didn’t seem unreasonable at the time. Needless to say, but I didn’t purchase the battery from them. I thanked them none the less and was able to leave despite an overly aggressive floor salesman plying his craft on me. I told the salesman he’d have a chance with me if only they carried Royal Enfield, I’ve had the hots for the 650 Super Meteor & if the right deal came along, I’d snatch one up in a heartbeat. I’m not going to live forever and at 67 years of age, there’s a few more motorcycles to find their way into my garage before I expire. Anywho,

So I picked up this brand of battery from a local auto parts store, after inquiring to availability & price. They had several in stock, price after taxes paid was $113 & change. It has 340 cold cranking Amps. After installing and using it for several weeks, I couldn’t be happier. Not that anyone asked but, I bought this RT new in August 2021. There’s approx 7100 miles on the odometer. Yes! I need to ride more, further, longer. Cretin Girl is ridden literally every day, but mostly on the homestead and local runs into town (about 15 miles each way). This RT has been very reliable. Only real money I've put into her was for a new set of front tires (Quatracs), and I only bought the tires after stupidly riding on a flat front (left front tire) for 3 miles home… that episode ruined the OEM tire. Never touched the tarmac with the rim so I guess that tire did its job, & it was done for thereafter.

Best,

Jake
    Reddick, Fla.
    It’s never too late to have a happy Childhood
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-12-2024 at 08:00 AM.
    2021 Can Am Spyder RT Limited
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Good info

Spyder Garage

Seems like a decent price.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

I have used Duralast Gold in several of my bikes over the years and have had no issues with them. I currently have lithium batteries, but would buy a Duralast in a heartbeat if needed. I am 68 and I too would like to have a Royal Enfield 650 in my stable. Unfortunately we recently downsized and most of my stable was sold because of garage space. I have my RT and my Suzuki which were the ones I rode the most.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Was the battery you got the same size case and were the cranking amps the same as the battery you replaced? I need to replace the battery on my 2020 RTL. Also, is that the right part number on the box in the picture? Thanks.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-12-2024 at 04:01 PM.

Spyder Garage

Gave up on lead based batteries in the Spyder.
    Ours now has a Shorai brand lithium type, like LiFe4 or something like that. Works absolutely fabulous in our 2014 RTS.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    I have used Duralast Gold in several of my bikes over the years and have had no issues with them. I currently have lithium batteries, but would buy a Duralast in a heartbeat if needed. I am 68 and I too would like to have a Royal Enfield 650 in my stable. Unfortunately we recently downsized and most of my stable was sold because of garage space. I have my RT and my Suzuki which were the ones I rode the most.

~~~I’ve only had 1 lithium battery in a motorcycle, it was put into service in the 93’ BMW R100GSPD I bought used in late 2014. I sent that bike up to Virginia Mottrad to have some work done. It came back with a lithium battery installed. No issues with that battery

In regards to the RE Super Meteor, I’ve owned/ridden more 650 vertical twins than any other motorcycle. Guess you could say i have a particularly fondness for the mill. The RE Super Meteor has been on my radar ever since it was introduced, in fact I have a tracker set up on used models with the Cycle Trader website to notify me of any used only within 500 miles of me. Few ever appear, I’m guessing because the owners are satisfied with them. I thought i would originally go for their Himalayan but after a ride on one for sale near to me (found thru Cycle Trader), the bike just doesn’t fit me well, especially because of the lack of range of motion in my left knee, a problem i would not have with the feet forward ergonomics of the Super Meteor

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Longtimer View Post
    Was the battery you got the same size case and were the cranking amps the same as the battery you replaced? I need to replace the battery on my 2020 RTL. Also, is that the right part number on the box in the picture? Thanks.

~~~the battery part number on the box in my pic is correct. Dimensions are exact (same) as the OEM battery. I took the OEM battery in with me @ the auto parts store where I purchased the replacement battery, both were measured by me using a tape measure. Not that anyone asked but the place i bought this battery from was not my first choice, only because I wanted to throw my business to Batteries Plus. Mrs. Jake convinced me to stop and inquire where I bought the battery mostly due to how far away we were from Batteries Plus. I have no regrets buying this Dura battery where I did as I have purchased auto parts from them in the past. When you need a battery and you find something that will fit, & the price seems fair to you, by all means, buy it

The location of the Spyder battery isn’t the easiest I’ve had to R&R but if you take your time and notate how the top tie down piece and the rubber strap are oriented (top and bottom), it’s not difficult to replace using common hand tools. I couldn’t see paying someone to replace that battery for me when I’m capable of doing it myself

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Gave up on lead based batteries in the Spyder.
    Ours now has a Shorai brand lithium type, like LiFe4 or something like that. Works absolutely fabulous in our 2014 RTS.

~~~you always were ahead of the rest of us PMK=:-)

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shakin_jake View Post
    ~~~you always were ahead of the rest of us PMK=:-)

Best,
    Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    Not exactly, as others have done the lead to lithium battery swap long before me.
    Merely got frustrated with Yuasa replacement having a less than stellar life span.

If I did stay with lead based AGM battery, very possibly would have been what you installed.