Spyder Garage

Default Should I worry about speakers/dash when Washing my Spyder? What do you do?

I rode my spyder to work yesterday, when I came out to go home it was covered in pollen. I'm going to give it a bath this weekend and I'm concerned about the speakers and dash area getting wet. Should I be and how do y'all wash your spyders?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-10-2024 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question/s... ;-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

dont worry

Spyder Garage

Groovy, thanks.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-10-2024 at 05:08 PM. Reason: ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

I use a pressure washer on mine. I always soak it with a foam cannon prior to spraying so they get foam in there. I wouldn't really spray hard into the speaker grill but I don't worry about getting the speakers wet either. I always blow them out with my leaf blower after washing just like the rest of the bike. No problems after many washes.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Cool, thanks Dave
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-10-2024 at 05:09 PM. Reason: ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

I always treaded lightly around the switches and speaker areas. They can get wet (think of riding in the rain), but I would not recommend over soaking them. I was a gentle spray, hose nozzel type washer. I never used a pressure washer on any of our

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Sound advice, no pun intended.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-10-2024 at 05:09 PM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    I always treaded lightly around the switches and speaker areas. They can get wet (think of riding in the rain), but I would not recommend over soaking them. I was a gentle spray, hose nozzel type washer. I never used a pressure washer on any of our
    X's 5 ..... Damaging the Spyder with water has been discussed quite a bit.... Yes, it's an outdoor vehicle but shouldn't be treated like your car or truck .... IMHO if you have dust/pollen on it, use a leaf blower if you have one, or use one of those magnetic house dusters. .... JMHO ...Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-10-2024 at 05:10 PM.

Spyder Garage

Good idea, I could use my air hose and blow it off. Didn't think of that.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-10-2024 at 05:11 PM.

Spyder Garage

Not to use HP spray around wheel bearings. Yes, I learned the hard way. 235 miles from home.

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'd stay away from any type of pressure washer, all that is needed is an old style brass nozzle. I use warm/hot water for my soap bucket as it helps with dissolving any bug splatters.

Then I use my battery powered leaf blower to blow off excess water after I'm done.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Have been washing my Spyder for 9+ years with light spray from garden hose, light around the switches & display and blow it dry with gas leaf blower and short nozzle.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Yep, made by the same company making SeeDoo's and SkiDoo's, speakers are basic Powersports (waterproof) speakers and having ridden in monsoon type rains water doesn't affect them at all.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Good stuff to know how others wash their Spyders. I wash with a gentle spray and have tried to keep the speakers and switch gear as dry as I can.
    2023 RT Limited , Red/ black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Yep, made by the same company making SeeDoo's and SkiDoo's, speakers are basic Powersports (waterproof) speakers and having ridden in monsoon type rains water doesn't affect them at all.
    .... All quality speakers made today are basically Waterproof ... in that the materials used don't absorb water .... what will damage speakers and a lot of electrical gear is the WATER PRESSURE applied to them ..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-11-2024 at 01:53 AM.

Spyder Garage

I don't worry about getting the speakers wet - they get wet in the rain. I don't use any pressure on them - just garden hose pressure, and I try not to direct water directly at the speakers.

I will add - I don't think I read it - remove your key during washing. I've read where that may cause problems(?) Not sure if that is true, but it stuck with me and I remove it for washing.
    2022 Sea to Sky