Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2024 Spyder issues make me wonder if I should buy yet?

I am currently in negotiations to get a new 2024 Sea to Sky Spyder, but I am seeing lots of issues with them on these forums, which really has me thinking that I should wait, as the product seems to be really flawed. Does anyone have one that is actually working properly? Or maybe the ones who have them working properly are happy and riding, so they can’t be bothered to write a note about it? It always seems to just be the people having issues that post, but there seems to be so many of them, and multiple people with the same issues that makes me think this is not a good product and that it was released way before it should have been.

On the fence.

Peter
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-09-2024 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly state the reason for this thread! ;-)

Spyder Garage

Well Peter there are no guarantees, I bought a new 22 F3S late last summer and have not had it back except to do its first service last fall and install the handwarmers which were part of the deal.

As you are well aware forums are not the place people go to tell the world how "good" their machine has been and there are very few people on forums for all vehicles versus the number of vehicles sold. That said there is a lot of free info on this site from many knowledgeable members who are willing to help.

If the dealer you are at has a decent service department and sells lots of Spyders and other BRP vehicles that should work in your favor. I don't purchase additional warranty but you can consider that as part of the deal.

Enjoy your new Spyder if you choose to buy one.

Spyder Garage

I've had my 2024 Spyder Sea-to-Sky for about a month and I love it.
    I have less than 100 miles on it at this point, so I can't tell you if there are any long term problems.
    My only complaint at this point is with the driver's seat backrest. I love the backrest when I'm driving, but hate climbing into the driver's seat around/over it.

I think AndysF3S is correct, the information posted to forums is going to be more about people trying to find help with some problem, then from people saying they aren't having any problems.

But I will share my biggest "complaint" with you.

I took the BRP 3-wheel class before buying my Spyder, which requires you have a helmet. I wear glasses, so had to buy a helmet designed for people who wear glasses. I love my helmet, and it's very comfortable to wear, but it's a silver/grey color, and now that I have a white bike I keep wishing I had a white helmet. And yes, the helmet I have is available in white, but do I really want to spent another $300 or so on a helmet just because I want to match the helmet color to my Spyder?
    racoon
    Middle Tennessee
    2024 Can-Am Spyder RT Sea-to-Sky - Vegas White Satin
    2023 Honda Ridgeline Sport - Sonic Grey Pearl (aka Baby Blue)
    2024 RT Sea-to-Sky , Vegas White Satin

Spyder Garage

I changed color on one of my helmets with a rattle can.
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Spyder RSS

Spyder Garage

Hi Pete,
    I've been stranded by DESS failure on my 2022 F3s. 1st for a couple minutes and then 2nd for a couple hours. You're right To be cautious and do your homework. Spyders are not the most reliable motorcycle product on the market for sure but there are plenty of them that never have issues. If you're going to be on the road with your sea 2 sky there is BRP roadside. For me, it came down to thinking is it worth it if I do have a problem however small the chance, and that answer was yes.
    Ride safe.
    Vince F in Niagara Falls
    2022 Spyder F3 Special Edition
    2020 Ryker Rally, sold
    2022 F3S , Stock Lamonster black diamond Monolith Black Satin

Spyder Garage

Not sure if you get the 2 year roadside assistance in Canada or not ? Does anyone know ?

Thanks

Spyder Garage

I have had my 2024 Spyder RTL S2S just short of two weeks. Only have 365 miles on it so hard to gauge long-time reliability but can say without a doubt and no hesitation, I love it.

Your decision of course but if the deal is sweet I suggest you buy it... ride it... and enjoy it.
    2024 Can Am Spyder RT Limited S2S

Spyder Embossed Gremlin Bell
    FOBO Bike 2 TPMS

Misc Items (Carried or Worn on Spyder):
    - Shoei Neotec 2 Helmets, Rider & Passenger w/ Cardo Packtalk Edge Comms
    - Foldable Cane
    - Accutire MS-4021B Digital Tire Pressure Gauge
    - Frarome Portable Air Compressor/Tire Inflator - USB Rechargeable
    - Hoxida Tactical Flashlight, USB rechargeable, 20000 Lumens
    - Two Black Flag Poles. Show Chrome / Lamonster Garage

Spyder Garage

I have almost 1,000 miles on my 2024 RT Limited so far in two months. No issues other than the well known Apple Car Play fiasco. Oh, and the heated seat wires came wired backwards but that was a 1 minute fix.

I did upgrade the battery to a 350cca model from Batteries Plus, it just seems to have more 'oomph' when starting up. The stock battery is only 300cca and it made me nervous.

Spyder Garage

We bought our new 2022 S2S in July 2023 and except for some initial minor problems it has been running really well. The dealer has been great. He gave us a loaner bike over a long weekend and told us to ride the stuffing out of it. It was a brand new 2023 S2S with one mile on the odometer. We put 600 miles on that bike in 3 days. Everything worked like a champ.
    Lee B
    2022 Can Am RT Limited
    2021 Honda NC750X DCT

Spyder Garage

3 Spyders. Close to 75,000 miles. No issues. I have a 2022 RT, 16,000 miles now. The only issue was caused by me. I added a base charging phone station on the handle bars. If the phone is charging at the time I am starting the bike, I get a CHECK KEY warning and the bike won't start. The solution is to turn the charger off, start the bike and turn it back on. No other issues when the charger is on and the Spyder is driving. Dennis
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-10-2024 at 07:31 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hancop View Post
    Not sure if you get the 2 year roadside assistance in Canada or not ? Does anyone know ?

Thanks
    I believe I read 2 yr. warranty with road assistance, which you can add up to 3 additional years. Check the BRP web page for confirmation. Search this site for information on purchasing additional years.

I currently ride a 2022 RTL, previously a 2014 and a 2012 RTL. As far as issues: on both the 2012 and 2014 the automatic air bag failed and replaced under warranty. On the 2014 I had the speed sensor fail also repaired under warranty. I have had no issues on my 2022 purchased new 1 year ago. based on my history the machines are very reliable. I have ridden about 90K miles: 20K on the 2012, about 60K on the 2014 and about 10K on the 2022.
    Current: 2022 RTL SE6 Red Marsala and 2012 622 Trailer Lava Bronze,
    Previous: 2014 RTL SE6 Black Currant - 58,746 miles,
    2012 RTL SE5 Lava Bronze - 19,675 miles

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hancop View Post
    2024 Spyder issues make me wonder if I should buy yet? Peter
    People said the same thing in 2008...
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Some of the purchasing of a Spyder should be determining where you will ultimately have your Spyder serviced. There are good dealers and there are the bad ones. Look for red flags. Are they giving you a good deal, or TO GOOD of a deal. The later hope to sell you the Spyder and never see you again. They are difficult to work on and time consuming too.

If you read carefully on this site, you can easily figure out who is who. I owned seven Spyders between 2008 and 2023. All but two were purchased from one dealer. It was my hometown dealer in Eagle River AK. They got to know me well between 2001 and 2019. I purchased a total of eight motorcycles and Spyders from them. Their service department was excellent, and they always treated me well. I did get extraordinary service from them until the very end. They decided to drop Spyders as an item, so could have been in trouble. Problem solved, I moved to Arkansas and am about 75 miles from Lamonster Garage and 225 miles from Spyderpops. I used both places but Lamonster got the most of the business because he was a couple hours closer.

I bought my last two Spyders from iMoto. They also carried an excellent reputation. My mail order purchase, vehicle trade in, and home delivery were flawless both times. I wrote about this when the vehicles were purchased. They never serviced my vehicles, because I had two "aces" in the hole, plus an authorized dealer (nameless) in the event of warranty issues. I had none on all seven of the Spyders I purchased.

The problem I see these days, is poor customer contact relations from BRP directly. Some dealers like to put the blame there and try to take the heat off of themselves. These days, it is getting very difficult to find good customer service. Failure to act promptly is the cause of much ire against dealers and from BRP directly. These machines are not cheap. Thirty grand is not exactly peanuts to most people. I want it fixed and I want it right now is an easy comment to make. Happily, I never had to make that statement over seven Spyders and 200,000 miles of Spyder travel.

When you make a purchase like this, do some due dilligence to cover all the angles. That can be helpful if you get a bad one.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 04-10-2024 at 04:57 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

For me, I'm on my third Spyder as well with a cumulative 150K miles (approximately). So far, knock on wood, they've been extremely reliable and fairly well made. Can Am does cheap out of some things, but in my experience, those things don't adversely affect reliability.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Some of the purchasing of a Spyder should be determining where you will ultimately have your Spyder serviced. There are good dealers and there are the bad ones. Look for red flags. Are they giving you a good deal, or TO GOOD of a deal. The later hope to sell you the Spyder and never see you again. They are difficult to work on and time consuming too.

If you read carefully on this site, you can easily figure out who is who. :bowdown:

~~~ Since I bought both of my Can Am trikes from a dealer in Kansas (Cycle Zone), and considering I live in Fla., going back to the dealer for servicing was out of the question. That said, every motorbike I ever bought, Jake spun the wrenches. I’m not a trained motorcycle mechanic, I was trained to assemble and service bicycles, but at a later stage in life. I thought about opening up a bicycle shop shortly after Y2K, so I enrolled at a bicycle institute (Barnett in Colorado Springs) to get the mechanical aspect of the business out of the way. Through a series of decisions, Jake never opened his bike shop. Sorry, but I digress. I’ve never been afraid to venture into the unknown, mechanically speaking. I’ve gotten in over my head a time or two but for the most part, working on the motorcycles I’ve owned has been a piece of cake. Looking back, probably the biggest mechanical job I got myself into was totally rebuilding the motor and drivetrain in the 1972 Honda 600cc Sedan I once owned circa 1980. Prior to the rebuild I undertook I had experienced the air-cooled parallel vertical twin motor jumping the timing. Unbeknownst to me the valve train was operated by a chain that ran between the crankshaft and the camshaft that had a hydraulic Adjustor which operated via oil pressure on the Adjustor. These were very inexpensive cars purchased new, about 2 large back in the day (71’s went to CA and HI only, the 72’s were 50 state cars, & by 73’, Honda dropped that car (Sedan & Coupe) and came out with the 4T Civic). Anyways, that motor needed frequent oil changes which most didn’t get, and they jumped timing (Imagine the results = :-) ). So after paying a hack or 2 to repair my Honda 600or, I decided to figure this motor out myself and it was an enjoyable experience. I recall waiting 6 weeks for a new crankshaft including piston rods (assembled as one unit) after ordering it from a Honda dealer outside of Detroit that sold Honda cars & motorcycles. I had the cylinders bored to fit new 1st oversized pistons, had a machine shop clean up the head, valve train, bought a new carb, measured and fitted for appropriate shims for the transmission main and lay shafts (to eliminate slop). She was a real runner after the rebuild. I also painted the entire car; found a set of four 10” mag wheels; & Pop riveted synthetic fender flares on all four corners. Can’t remember if those mags were off a mini, which this car was designed to mimic originally. I sprayed the paint in a neighbor’s garage. At the time I was living in a basement apartment in a post-war 3 story building (in Royal Oak MI) with 6 rental apartments. I was the caretaker keeping the stairways vacuumed & the walks shoveled of snow in the winter. Best part, rent was $70/month, utilities were free. As for employment at the time, I was employed as an experimental research bench hand at a company that built refrigerant charged DHW solar systems. I didn’t make a lot of money so I couldn’t afford to buy new cars. I was also going to Wayne State University full time while also working full time. None of it was easy making it all work and sleep was at a premium

Getting back to buying/owning a Spyder RT and taking care of it, I always figured I’d be able to handle the maint & hopefully the repairs, if needed. These might look like complex machines and there are a lot of electrical circuits which to me, the electrics, may appear like a bowl of worms, an electrician’s nightmare yet there have been enough peeps here on this forum that have figured a lot of this stuff out & explained to laymen like myself. As far as the mechanics go, if you have to remove bodywork (AKA Tupperware) to get to it, so be it. Take your time and learn how to remove the panels. IMO, prospective buyers/owners need to consider, or at least give thought to, how long do you think you are going to own one of these, 2 years, 5 years, 10 years? As mentioned, 30 large for an RT Limited (purchased new!) is a chunk of change. Not that anyone asked but I started looking at these in 2010, going on demo rides through the years. When the Rykers came out, I couldn’t contain myself and jumped on one new with the 900cc motor. I thought, 8 Large for one of these new?! It was a no brainer (I think that was MSRP in 2020). I miss riding the Ryker I had but, the RT is much more comfortable to an aging baby boomer such as myself. Fortunately, 2021 was a good year (financially) for me so dropping 27 large before trade in was possible. Again, no one asked but I paid $300 less MSRP for my Limited before trade in. I don’t recall exactly what Aaron gave me for trade in on my 2020 Ryker except I felt he gave me top dollar on trade. I really can’t say enough good things about Cycle Zone in Topeka Kansas. They treated me more than fairly.

Speaking to the prospects thinking about buying a Ryker or Spyder, give a lot of thought and examination into who you are going to buy your machine from. If you are buying used from a private individual, remember this - you are buying the seller. Sure, you’re thinking of buying his/her machine, but you are or should be buying, the owner; same goes to new or used machines from a legitimate dealer. Check them out. What kind of reputation do they have. I haven’t looked at the prices for new Rykers in several years but if you are on the fence so to speak, about buying into the BRP family, consider buying a Ryker. Little dinero, whole lotta fun. Ride it a year or two then move into a Spyder if that’s your real goal. By buying a used Ryker & riding it for a year or two, you may be able to get every dime back if you bought wisely. Having owned/ridden a new RT for 2.5 years, I can honestly say, I have not regretted a minute of owning my Spyder. AFAIC, it’s been one of the best motorcycles I have owned/ridden. If you are going to own of these, own it. IOW, take care of it and it will take care of you!

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    It’s never too late to have a happy Childhood
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-13-2024 at 08:31 PM.
    2021 Can Am Spyder RT Limited
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

"Do not live in your fears".

Mike Tomlin, the Steeler coach, often uses that quote. What the heck is wrong with a new 2024? From the beginning there have been people swearing at things about the Spyder. Same ones that sweared at their cars, appliances, TV's, phones etc. It is rare for owners to post and praise. The talk today is how bad a new Harley Davidson is. Nothing is sacred.

After I had physical issues a couple years ago I parked my Harley's , BMW's, BSA, and more bikes (still have them) and bought a 2022 Ryker. Tricked it out with saddlebags, top box, seat, and more. Rode it two-up for 6,000 miles with no issues. The Ryker was good. Traded it on a new Spyder F3-S.

Tricked the Spyder out with an M2 shock, full luggage, F4 windshield, LED's, and more. 1,200 miles so far and nothing to report. That is the problem. NO PROBLEM. If I had problems, then I might do a report. Same can be said for my Ram 2500 with Cummins diesel. 70,000 miles and nothing to report. Go to a truck forum for them and there is little to report but occasionally one owner talks loudly and that is what we read.

I say listen to the Steeler coach. Enjoy the product and weigh the few reports you might read with the reality of the masses on the new Spyder's. Do not live in your fears.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-14-2024 at 10:18 PM.

Spyder Garage

Many owners are happy with their purchase.
    Many owners are disappointed with their purchase, especially with a couple years of ownership.
    Some folks love and praise their dealer, while many folks loathe the thought, or need to take their Spyder in for warranty or service work.

Overall, Spyders tend to be fun machines, but are expensive to purchase new, dealers are expensive when service is needed, and these days, many dealers want minimal or no involvement after the initial sale.

Simply, a person must determine their own comfort level regarding purchasing or owning a Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    "Do not live in your fears".
    Enjoy the product and weigh the few reports you might read with the reality of the masses on the new Spyder'. Do not live in your fears.
    Mechanically my 2024 has been fine. The head unit is an absolute disappointment. No Apple CarPlay as promised, WiFi will rarely connect to even check for updates - with great signal strength even. BT is flaky as all get-out and has become so unreliable that I have about given up on using it.

I am hoping against hope that the updated firmware that includes ACP will also resolve the frustrating connectivity problems that I, and others, have experienced.

If you don't need Apple CarPlay and are fine without reliable BT communication to the bike, then go for it. Otherwise honestly I'd say wait and see if they can fix the head unit problems with a firmware update.

Spyder Garage

It seems when it comes to Spyder owners, many are not two-wheeled veterans?
    And even more are not gear-headed savvy, not even a little?

Addenda:
    That stated, BRP (all products) seem to be in the habit of releasing new products without proving all aspects of the machine.
    Kind of weird.
    However, there are way more owners out there with no issues than there are with issues.
    Last edited by BoatFixx; 04-14-2024 at 07:13 PM.
    2023 Sea2Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BoatFixx View Post

Addenda:
    That stated, BRP (all products) seem to be in the habit of releasing new products without proving all aspects of the machine.
    Kind of weird.
    However, there are way more owners out there with no issues than there are with issues.
    This is my 18th motorcycle, the last three were Spyders all before that were 2-wheelers. I am mechanically inclined and do most of my own maintenance on my cars and my bikes.

What I cannot do is re-write Can-Am's code for the head unit or fix it. I am at the mercy of Can-Am to eventually release a version with working CarPlay and hopefully fixing the connectivity issues that plague it.

Most 2024 Spyder owners have issues, it just depends on how much it bothers them. The head unit is feature incomplete and buggy. I think the majority of 2024 buyers were expecting ACP to be provided as promised, and to actually work reasonably well. For those who don't need/want ACP and can live without reliably functioning Bluetooth to the bike then the 2024s aren't too bad.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jfischer View Post
    This is my 18th motorcycle, the last three were Spyders all before that were 2-wheelers. I am mechanically inclined and do most of my own maintenance on my cars and my bikes.

What I cannot do is re-write Can-Am's code for the head unit or fix it. I am at the mercy of Can-Am to eventually release a version with working CarPlay and hopefully fixing the connectivity issues that plague it.

Most 2024 Spyder owners have issues, it just depends on how much it bothers them. The head unit is feature incomplete and buggy. I think the majority of 2024 buyers were expecting ACP to be provided as promised, and to actually work reasonably well. For those who don't need/want ACP and can live without reliably functioning Bluetooth to the bike then the 2024s aren't too bad.
    Ergo... My Addenda.

All this new computerized, this and that, Can Bus ("Controller Area Network") this and that, etc. etc. Chips and ECU's and wires here, and wires there.
    It's like my old '88 R80 GS-PD compared to my '01 R1150GS, to my '19 R1250GS. The R80 is/was sort of old school, fix on the road just about anywhere. The 1150GS was just about fix on the road anywhere with just enough new technology to make it the perfect 21st century two wheeled HumVee. Then came along even way more technology to the point where you need LifeFlight service for your bike!
    When I bought my '23 Sea2Sky, I bought the max BRP extended warranty with it as well.
    However, so far so good. It's been 100% reliable.
    I think that knowing the level of professionalism and experience of my dealer, and who did the initial dealer set up in their shop helped my confidence.
    Any factory glitches after that will hopefully continue to be nil!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-14-2024 at 10:23 PM.
    2023 Sea2Sky

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I buy the most noticeable helmet on the planet neon yellow with black spots. Every one I talk to says they see the helmet before the bike which is pearl red.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BoatFixx View Post
    I used to hang with a group friends that all had motorcycles, and we regularly rode together. The "leader" of the group owned a Yamaha shop, so I got a great deal on a Yamaha Seca 550 that was a few model years old, but still in the shipping crate when I bought it. That was my first motorcycle. I sold the Yamaha when I moved out of S. California, and that was almost 30 years ago. So my Spyder is the first motorcycle I've owned in almost 30 years.

As for gear head status, I was a VW air cooled owner while I lived in California, first a Type 3 Fastback, then a Type 2 Kombi, and my final VW was a 1967 VW Westfalia Poptop Camper van. I built and installed a new engine for the camper, upgrading it from the original 1500cc engine to a 1641cc engine with dual carbs, a balanced crankshaft, a mild cam, and an oversized oil pump. So I do know my way around a toolbox, even if most of my tools just sit in the garage gathering dust these days.

Well, except those tools required to keep my POS John Deere lawn tractor running so the neighbors don't complain about the length of the grass in my yard!

It would be nice if CAN-AM would fix the Apple Carplay issue, but I'm not holding my breath, instead I'm out riding.
    racoon
    Middle Tennessee
    2024 Can-Am Spyder RT Sea-to-Sky - Vegas White Satin
    2023 Honda Ridgeline Sport - Sonic Grey Pearl (aka Baby Blue)
    2024 RT Sea-to-Sky , Vegas White Satin

Spyder Garage

As of 4-15-2024 Here is what I have to say about my 2024 spyder.
    You know the old saying, don't buy a vehicle built on a Monday or Friday; well, it's hard to know these days, but if the vin number goes as normal on Can Am, then mine was the 2682th Spyder built.
    Mine has the normal problems like the others, NO ACP, but that looks like all of them have that issue; my heated seat plugs were flip flopped; and my passenger heated grips don't work. I fixed the heated seat myself; the dealer said bring it in, but with what I have read here, I want to wait until they get their act together about this upgrade firmware. I did have issues with my iPhone BT connection, and with connecting to wifi; but it's better now, sometimes it's just slow to connect to my wifi.

As for the Spyder RT itself, mechanically it's fine, and the dash itself works fine, everything is logically put where it should be, and it all works OK, except for the ACP.

I have not done any updates, so it's like it was from the factory. I can get my cardo to pair with the Spyder; and get my iPhone to pair too. One thing I did read in the manual is to have your BT items ON and unlocked before you turn on the Spyder.

I found this out when placing a call, I had to place a phone call and the Spyder was already running, so the cardo would not pair to the Spyder; luckily, I had also paired the cardo to my iPhone and I could place the call, and guess what, it showed my phone call on the screen!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-15-2024 at 08:47 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Johndeeredoo View Post
    As of 4-15-2024 the dealer said bring it in, but with what I have read here, I want to wait until they get there act together about this upgrade firmware.
    Very smart move.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange