Spyder Garage

Default Brand new 2023 RT with an Oil leak, Dealer won't help, what now?

I need some direction. Just had my brand new 2023 Can Am Spyder RT delivered from iMotorsports in Elmhurst, IL up to the Northwoods of WI. It has been leaking oil since day 1, I keep getting the runaround from the salesman/dealership with no follow up. I can’t ride it this way plus my first payment is coming due. I called Can Am direct and they were of no use, told me keep reaching out to dealership. I’m beyond pissed off. What do I do?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-09-2024 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    2023 RT , Blue/Black

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Warranty work can be done by a dealer other than the one you bought it from. If you have another dealer around you can take it to I would suggest that.

I'm not quite sure though how an online dealer does repairs if you bought from imotorsports. I haven't dealt with them but I don't think that they have anyplace to do repairs after the sale.

Maybe someone with experience with imotorsports can chime in.
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 04-09-2024 at 12:29 PM.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Sue them if they won't fix it. Make them take it back if you need to do that.

Talk to a lawyer......... sometimes a letter from a lawyer is what it takes to let them know you are serious.

Dealerships can't get away with selling oil leaking brand new vehicles.

Harley can't even sell bikes that leak oil anymore.

A lot of Can Am dealerships are getting a very bad reputation and it will not be good for business.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

I'm sorry to hear IMotorsports is treating you that way. My opinion is that any resolution has to start with them. What was in your sales contract? Is there a return clause? Call them and don't hang up. That's a lot of money just sitting there. Plus, you're not riding. I can not imagine your frustration.
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

That sucks, especially when it’s brand new. You probably did this already, check the oil level on the dipstick. It might be over filled. Drain some out if it’s over full. Be careful, there are two drain plugs, one for oil and one for trans. One is a Torx head, and one is an Allen head. Not sure which is which. Good luck from fellow rider in north woods!

A Good Dealer near you is Antigo Yamaha. That’s where I purchased mine in '22. Ride safe!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-11-2024 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Caps, words, & ' 's; plus merged immediately consecutive posts... :-/
    2022 Spyder RTL- Chrome , Larger brake pedal Deep Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Just curious, what did iMotorsports say when you called them. BTW I second what CloverHillCrawler said, you need to find a local dealer who you can work with for your warranty work. They may be some distance. I know it is for me, here in the wilds of rural Utah. I have a 65-mile drive to my nearest dealer. Have you looked to see where the leak is coming from?
    Last edited by pegasus1300; 04-09-2024 at 12:38 PM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

on that all important first post.

My last two Spyders were purchased from iMoto. We had NO problems with them whatsoever. The bikes were delivered on time, and with no mechanical problems. Our trades were picked up. Everything was done per the contract we both agreed upon. My last encounter with this was in January of 2021.

I had Lamonster do the servicing on the two F3L's which we owned. Neither F3 required any extra ordinary warranty work. It was farkles, oil changes, and tires for both machines only. I did not opt for the BEST warranty on either machine. Turns out, I did not need it anyway. We got what we considered to be good deals on price, accessories, and trade-ins. Later posts by many others, indicated that the deals were not as forthcoming as in the past.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 04-09-2024 at 01:05 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tdonlan View Post
    I need some direction. Just had my brand new 2023 Can Am Spyder RT delivered from iMotorsports in Elmhurst, IL up to the Northwoods of WI. It has been leaking oil since day 1, I keep getting the runaround from the salesman/dealership with no follow up. I can’t ride it this way plus my first payment is coming due. I called Can Am direct and they were of no use, told me keep reaching out to dealership. I’m beyond pissed off. What do I do?
    I see this is your first Post so ..... Is this your First Spyder???? .... if not, how much do you know about Spyders. ..... Except for a very few complaints, IMotorsports have sold 100's of Spyders to members here with good results. If the salesperson won't/can't help you, ask to speak to the manager ...... I don't think you should mention "Lawyers" etc. ... it will get you nowhere and it likely will piss people off. .... The more info you provide us about the leak or what info is showing up on your dashboard, the easier it will be to help ..... How did you find Spyderlovers??? ...Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-09-2024 at 07:10 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I don't think you should mention "Lawyers" etc. ...it will get you nowhere and it likely will piss people off.
    Exactly right.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-09-2024 at 07:10 PM.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

There's a very good dealer West of you in Mora, MN, Caswell's Cycles, if you don't have anyone closer you could check with them.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I don't think you should mention "Lawyers" etc. ... it will get you nowhere and it likely will piss people off.
    A lot of places, retail, etc are told that the minute you mention lawyer they are to shut up and ask you to leave the premises. Happened to me when I was younger at Best Buy. I mentioned taking them to small claims for a defective cordless phone and they asked me to take the phone and GTFO and to call corporate legal for any further discussions.

Not saying that's what'll happen, but I think in general the minute you mention "lawyer" you'll be cut off from anything but dealing with corporate after that. Not worth it until it becomes your only option IMHO.

Spyder Garage

There has been only a couple reports of bad engine castings here on SL. So it has happened in the rare form. Can you help us out to try and diagnose problem? Is it coming from the dip stick? That would mean a rookie tech overfilled it, rarely happens, but it does. Especially from IM Motorsports, would think they would train the techs properly.
    This engine is not like checking oil in your car or truck. Its a dry sump system, have to run it for 10 miles to warm up the oil, stop on a level surface, turn off, check with dip stick within 2 minutes. If over the high mark, its overfilled from selling dealer. If a bad casting, hard to tell where it might be leaking with brand new oil. If overfilled, its not good to drive it, could cause damage, and then off to a dealer. If bad casting - off to dealer too
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

I know you’re in pain. I have a new 2024 Spyder RT Limited. I bought it Feb 6, had it a week and it didn’t want to go into reverse. It has been at the dealer ever since. The dealer started a claim with BRP and have been reaching out to them for guidance. BRP stopped responding over a week ago.

I have called BRP 8 times and complained. BRP sent me an email today saying that they essentially don’t know how to fix it. They have a team studying the problem and when they get a fix, they will let me and the dealer know.

Here's the email.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-11-2024 at 07:41 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Get thee to a dealer close to you, pronto! My brand new Spyer F3 hade an oil leak which turned out to be a bad engine block -- BRP sent a new engine and within 4 weeks I was back on the road. You need a dealer local to you to perform the check and get through to BRP.

2022 F3 Base
    Kawa Z900 - 72k
    NInja 650 80K
    2008 SM5 - 42k

Spyder Garage

Step 1. As ARtraveler and BLUEKNIGHT said, contact IMotorsports and ask to speak with service manager. Give him the purchase date, VIN, current mileage and best estimate of where oil is coming from. Tell them the name and phone number of the local dealership where you would like to have warranty service done to eliminate the oil leak, if it is really a leak. IMotorports should be able to work dealer to dealer to get the warranty work done. If not ...

Step 2. Send an email message to BRPCare@brp.com. Give them the VIN, mileage, purchase date and dealership you purchased from. Explain to the best of your determination where the oil may be coming from and the results of your conversation with IMotorsports. Then, Ask BRPCare to open a case with the dealership closest to you where you can have the Spyder serviced under warranty. As others have said, DO NOT introduce the word lawyer any conversation with any dealership of BRP. Good luck!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-09-2024 at 10:28 PM.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lowflyingowl View Post
    Get thee to a dealer close to you, pronto! My brand new Spyder F3 had an oil leak which turned out to be a bad engine block -- BRP sent a new engine and within 4 weeks I was back on the road. You need a dealer local to you to perform the check and get through to BRP.
    How long did it take them to replace the engine once they got it?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-09-2024 at 10:27 PM.

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tdonlan View Post
    Hey T. By law, ANY factory authorized dealer/service department must honor a factory warranty. I doubt IMotorsports is an authorized Service Department. So, like Clover Hill said, go to the local brick and mortar dealership close to you. You've got some suggestions already, and you need to establish that local relationship, anyway. Out of curiosity though, can you talk about the oil leak? Is it based on a dipstick reading, oil all over the floor??? Something else? It might be something really simple.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-11-2024 at 07:36 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JB62 View Post
    How long did it take them to replace the engine once they got it?
    About 2 weeks. I was expecting much longer. Haven't had any problems since and just had 3k service done.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-12-2024 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

2022 F3 Base
    Kawa Z900 - 72k
    NInja 650 80K
    2008 SM5 - 42k

Spyder Garage

Moderators have been watching the thread.

The OP has not been back since his first and only post as of this time.

The subject matter from mid-point in the thread has gone off topic.

We will discuss about closing the thread.

?????

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Moderators have been watching the thread.

The OP has not been back since his first and only post as of this time.

The subject matter from mid-point in the thread has gone off topic.

We will discuss about closing the thread.

?????
    Get's my vote...
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Honestly, if the OP does not come back or log back in after a certain amount of time, I think maybe it should be deleted. Imotorsports has been pretty good to the members here. IMHO
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

The record shows what this is all about. We do not like to delete things "just because."

I see no harm/no foul done to the sponsor here.

2020 F3L , Magma Red