Spyder Garage

Default 2015 RT - How to remove fuel tank?

Surely somebody has removed the fuel tank or just the fuel pump? I did it once and almost burned down the shop. Tried removing the master cylinder, the RH foot peg assembly, but the master cylinder lines were still in the way and doesn’t look like it will remove easily unless you pull the engine or something. What gives?

This is not my bike, helping a friend.
    Mine: 2016 Indian Springfield & 2021 Indian Roadmaster
    Wife: 2018 Can-am Spyder F3 Limited Pearl White
    2018 F3 Limited , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I doubt you'll be able to pull the fuel pump/pick-up/sender from where it is IN the tank without at least partially removing the gas tank; and whatever you do, fully or partially removing it, you'll likely hafta slide it painfully out the Right Hand Side of the bike after removing all the tupperware on both sides & anything else that's in the way!!!

I've done a few, altho the last one I did was probably a year or so ago now & there's been a lot of other stuff happened since; so for whatever it's worth, I don't recall actually taking any brake lines off &/or needing to bleed the brakes after, but I do think I hadta drop the pedal & everything else down there...

I'm pretty sure that I didn't need to remove any other major components tho, and I'm fairly certain I didn't drop the engine

But I do recall it being very much a pain to get the fuel pump out, EVERY BLOODY TIME and I too nearly burnt the workshop down in frustration more than once!!

Good Luck!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thank you for at least the confirmation that I'm on the right path.

Sure seems as though the BRP engineers could have given up 0.0002% of fuel tank size to make it easier to remove from the frame. Or even a bolted section of frame that could be removed to gain access. I'll continue to struggle until I get it free I guess.

Spyder Garage

To attempt to help someone else in the future, I ended up giving in and purchasing the .pdf service manual for this bike. The removal of the RH floorboard and finagling around the brake master cylinder was no easier, not sure what I'm missing getting that out in a straight forward fashion, but it was a major pain!! But here is the short section about removing the fuel tank / pump.
    2015 RT 1.jpg
    2015 RT 2.jpg

Bike is running great by the way
    Last edited by lugnut1009; 04-16-2024 at 09:17 AM.