Spyder Garage

Default My Retirement Ride

I finally decided to retire in 2018 after 34 years with my company (construction software). I gave them over a year to find a suitable replacement, which they pissed away and ended up scrambling and making a hurried decision (which was not a good decision at that). Anyway, back to the trip.

A few of my friends do a ‘guy trip’ every year (no significant others allowed), and since I was now retired, I was invited.

Two of us Left Chino Valley and headed up through Flagstaff and the Navajo Rez. At Kayenta, AZ we turned north into Utah. Riding through the upper reaches of Lake Powell we encountered 106-degree temps going through the canyons. We arrived at Hanksville, UT only to find the hotel that was booked for us didn’t have a pool. Sure could have used one to cool off.

Next morning we headed north and caught Interstate 70 to get over the Rifle, CO. Took a left and headed north to Rawlins, WY. Another bad motel. Owners barely spoke English; rooms were old and dingy. We met up with the rest of our group (total of 8 of us) which had come from other locations.

Next morning we headed west to Rock Springs, Wy and turned north. A quick stop at Farson’s for a refreshing ice cream cone. If you are ever in that area, it is a must. From there we headed northwest up to the Tetons. Obligatory pics and off again to Idaho Falls for the night.

Next morning headed west again up through the Sawtooth Recreation area (beautiful area). We travelled through the Challis Forest and stopped at a really quaint little (really little!) town of Clayton - Population 7. Kind of touristy in a very small way. Spent the next night at the Sourdough Lodge on the Payette River.

IMG_4697.jpg

Next morning we continued to follow the Payette River and rode up past Cascade Reservoir. We continued our north westerly direction until we hit the Snake River. We followed that north until we hit Oxbow and then crossed over into Oregon, ending our day at La Grande, OR.

Next morning we headed north through the Umatilla Wilderness up to Walla Walla, WA. From there we headed north again, back over the Snake River, to Rosalia, WA. Then turned back southeast headed for Lewiston, ID.

Next morning we headed east into Montana over Lolo Pass (Highway 12 was just a great ride) into Missoula, MT. We ended up in Helena, MT for the night.

Next morning we are off headed north through Great Falls, before heading southeast to Columbus, MT. This was probably the least scenic part of the trip other than the first day going across the Rez in Arizona.

Next morning up and at ‘em heading to Red Lodge. Stopped and had the most expensive breakfast of the whole trip. And it wasn't even that good. Now the fun begins again. Beartooth Pass and Chief Joseph highway. What an amazing area to ride in. Only thing that would have made it better was not having so much construction.

IMG_4728.jpg

Down to Cody, WY and then east to Greybull where we turned south Worland, WY. But before we got there, I encountered the most exciting part of the trip. Excitement is not always wanted. We were coming into the little town of Manderson. Off to right was a lone deer. Everyone was watching him. I was second to the last in our line. At the last minute he decided to cross the road. As he hit the pavement, he realized he had no traction. Now he is right beside me slipping and sliding. I am steering to the left to get out of his way. I am not exaggerating when I say I could have reached out and touch him as he was right off my right side. He finally got some traction and actual jumped over my front fender!! The funny thing was the city cop was coming right towards us, and he gave me a thumbs up. I am sure he was glad he didn’t have to fill out a report. At Worland we turned east towards Ten Sleep, WY and on through the Big Horn National Forest, to Buffalo, WY. Our last night as a group.

Next morning people started heading towards home. Three of us back to Chino Valley, two to Sturgis (for the Rally), one to Iowa, one to Kansas City, one to Wisconsin.

Jim, Jerry, and I headed south through Casper, WY, down through Rawlins, WY, and ended up in Glenwood Springs, CO. Next morning we headed south down through Paonia and Crawford, CO to the Blue Mesa Reservoir. From there we headed west to Montrose where we turned south and took the Million Dollar Highway down through Ouray and Silverton, CO. Spent our last night in Cortez, CO.

Next morning we left early to beat the heat and headed southwest across the Rez and home. All told it was 12 days and 4,608 miles.

The next year we went to Arkansas, but that will be another post!
    Last edited by rjinaz86323; 04-09-2024 at 10:39 AM.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

Great story...
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Great to be Retired...
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Yes it is. I worked till I was 70 (enjoyed my job and made good money), so I was really ready.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

Come the end of June I will have been retired 18 years. The whole banks data network was outsourced Feb 1st, 2003, along with 1150 of us! 3 years of hating working for EDS, at 62 I existed stage right. I have enjoyed retirement with the exception of losing my DW of 40 years in summer of 2021. She got to ride on the Spyder for a few months, before ALS made her too weak to be on it. Fountain Hills to see the 600' fountain was a special place for her and the first trike ride we did. Had lunch at McDonalds and the trike would not start. After a few minutes of panic, I found that she had hit the kill switch mounting from the right side. 2024's have forever solved that issue!!!!!! My CForce 600T quad was configured the same way also.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-09-2024 at 08:00 PM.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Great story. Look forward to your next one.

Note to all you folks who put off doing this: DO IT NOW! Before you know it will be too late and you're not physically able to do it.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Great story. I am following all these longer trips that you guys are making. I am not retired, and not sure when I will (58 this year), but I am looking at doing a cross country trip in 2025. Going to take 6 weeks and just see some of this country that I have only seen on TV. My goal is to do this before turning 60. I am fortunate enough to still be in good health, but I do know that my best days (health wise) are probably behind me. And with that being the case, it will possibly be only downhill from here. So I want to do this trip while I am still able to enjoy it and not make it a chore.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-09-2024 at 08:01 PM.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white