Spyder Garage

Cool "Catch" in steering!

I am having an issue with my steering here in the windy plains of the TX panhandle. When I am fighting strong crosswinds, eventually my steering develops a "catch" in it. By that I mean when I change lanes away from the wind or go through a gentle curve away from the wind and try to straighten back up, I have to force the steering past a stiff spot. Anyone else having this issue? Love the bike, but this was down right scary the other night...about put me in the ditch twice. Dealer says he has some new steering software downloads. Going to get those installed, but have had this issue since I bought the bike.

Spyder Garage

Definitely get it in to the dealer as soon as you can. There have been some problems with the steering, more so on 08 than 09 models it seems, and BRP is working on the solution. There are several members on here who have had steering problems and they have been resolved for them as well.

Best of luck!
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    Definitely get it in to the dealer as soon as you can. There have been some problems with the steering, more so on 08 than 09 models it seems, and BRP is working on the solution. There are several members on here who have had steering problems and they have been resolved for them as well.

Best of luck!

Need to get the DPS updates done - and maybe more.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post

Best of luck!
    Well that would explain it then. I have an '08 yellow SM5.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by txknight67 View Post
    Well that would explain it then. I have an '08 yellow SM5.
    I have an '08 SM5 and after the first update the computer found a problem w/the original power steering unit. After leaving the dealership, I started getting a message on my dash to "Check DPS".

Taking it back, the service manager put it back on the computer and no codes came up. Not knowing what this meant, he said he would call BRP and sent me on my way. This was a Wednesday and on Saturday afternoon, my steering locked up.

The dealer came out and picked it up, putting it on a trailer the following Tuesday. That afternoon, they called telling me they just ordered a new power steering unit.

Not everyone got that message and still had the same problems, w/lockups. With what you are experiencing now, it gets worse over time and to be safe, get it back to your dealer. If you don't feel safe riding it like I did, call your dealer and make arrangements to have it picked up.

Since having the new DPS unit, I've gone over 1200 miles w/out a problem. (Knock On Wood)
    Last edited by PCBeachBum; 12-04-2009 at 04:49 AM.

Spyder Garage

Yup - I had that problem - felt like it locked up on me when going thru a curve and it scared me too. Yep, bring it to the dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by txknight67 View Post
    I am having an issue with my steering here in the windy plains of the TX panhandle. When I am fighting strong crosswinds, eventually my steering develops a "catch" in it. By that I mean when I change lanes away from the wind or go through a gentle curve away from the wind and try to straighten back up, I have to force the steering past a stiff spot. Anyone else having this issue? Love the bike, but this was down right scary the other night...about put me in the ditch twice. Dealer says he has some new steering software downloads. Going to get those installed, but have had this issue since I bought the bike.

Spyder Garage

Exclamation steering "catch"

+In mid-November, my 2008 SM5 started doing precisely what you've described, and it's scared me enough to pull off and shut down for a few minutes a couple of times, thinking perhaps the brain needed to reset. In the 23k plus miles beforehand, I'd not experienced any concerns.

Now that I know it isn't in my head, I'll let the dealer know before my next service.

Ride on.
    Roadkill
    2008 GS Roadster , Roadster Red

Spyder Garage

Default Catch in Steering

I am having the same issue and had it fixed and the Dealer told me it was caused by the last download being done while the handlebars were turned slightly. Thought it was fixed and then it happened again last week. I am in contact with a BRP Tech named Carlo and he wants to hear from folks having this problem. His email is SpyderTechSupport@BRP.com. I was so impressed that he emailed me with concerns about this problem.

It takes you off guard when it sticks because you are expecting to make a lane change or slight turn and then you have to fight it to get it to go. Mine then overcorrects so you have to hang on tight!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default ??

I had some small problems with the steering being stiff, then I had the 1st update done and seemed to be better. about 4 months later took it in for the 2nd update, now it seems GREAT. is the 2nd update dealing with the DPS unit? I hope so.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jimclarkf1 View Post
    I had some small problems with the steering being stiff, then I had the 1st update done and seemed to be better. about 4 months later took it in for the 2nd update, now it seems GREAT. is the 2nd update dealing with the DPS unit? I hope so.
    I never had anything show up on the dash, and its a 08 PE

Spyder Garage

I never had error codes or dash indicators with mine, either. If its misbehaving, get it fixed!

ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

it's a shame that all dealers don't simply replaced all dps units at the first update. they, instead, wait for a problem to come up. so far, riders are lucky and it's a matter of time b4 some1 gets killed. there are a lot of happy owners, but so far, i am very disappointed with brp. it's a great bike, but brp is just not doing the right thing for their customers. you gotta make numerous complaints b4 they act. that can't be the right way to conduct business.

Spyder Garage

Not everyone got that scroll and I know of one other owner on this site that had the same message, "Check DPS". He said that after his first update, the computer picked up a problem with the original DPS unit.

My '08 SM5 was used as a demo and I bought it in March 2009, with 260 miles on it. From day one of owning it, it was hard to steer and at a stop, I couldn't turn the bars. Not knowing, I thought it was normal and after having the recall done the steering remained same. After making a stop at a store about a mile from the dealership, I started getting that scroll on the dash.