Spyder Garage

Default Am I alone? Why are there so few ride reports?!?

Am I alone?

I’m disappointed. With so many Spyder Lovers on this forum, why are there so few ride reports?

I’ve read all of the previous entries. I’d like more.

Who has done Pike’s Peak? Whitney portal? Death Valley? Sturgis? Maggie Valley? Bike week? The SCMC Four Corners Tour – Blaine, Washington – San Diego - Key West - Madawaska, Maine? Iron Butt 1,000? The Canada to Mexico run? 48 states in 27 days? North to Alaska?

I don’t see much about crossing Canada or touring Nova Scotia. Surely someone has . . . where is your story?

I see only one reference to riding to Cabo San Lucas. Whew! I’ve found Baja and Old Mexico are great on two wheels. What is your experience?

I’ve done the above rides on two wheels and plan on repeating them on three.

Now, I’m 85 years old. I can’t wait for procrastinators to write about their trips― someday. I want them now.

If you only ride in your home state, what is your favorite loop, destination, or eating place? When is the best time to visit your state? Why? What should I avoid?

Where can I find the best Bar-B-Que? Tex-Mex? Burger? Cold drinks? Music? Camping? Curviest roads? (Yeah, I’ve done the Dragon.) Wild women?

What was the worst day of riding you’ve experienced? Best day? Expensive?

I can’t believe that I’m the only one wanting to hear your tales. If all else fails. Lie! Make something up. Share. Time’s a wastin’.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-05-2024 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    Completed SCMC Four Corners Tour
    Rattlesnake 1,000
    Don Diego 400
    Cal 500 & 1,000
    Unicycled at South Pole, Antarctica
    Coldfoot, Alaska, to Cabo San Lucas
    4,000 mile Mexican tour to Yucatan Peninsula

Spyder Garage

Not guilty here.

For years I posted Alaska rides and adventures. Check out my home page...There are over 10 albums with fantastic pictures. When I moved away from AK in 2019 I did a day by day blog covering our trek back from AK to the US.

Yazz's adventure TO Alaska--covered about 10 pages of posting. She also added many beautiful pictures. We have AK well covered. Will leave the other places to others who have been there.

I have been posting since Feb of 2010. I have said a lot in that time. Some is even worth reading.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

You sir an an exception. Scott's report on his Alaska adventure is also top-notch.

I would just like to see more participants.

John M.
    Rattlesnake 1,000
    Don Diego 400
    Cal 500 & 1,000

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Calimusjohn View Post
    Am I alone?

I’m disappointed. With so many Spyder Lovers on this forum, why are there so few ride reports?

I’ve read all of the previous entries. I’d like more.

Who has done Pike’s Peak? Whitney portal? Death Valley? Sturgis? Maggie Valley? Bike week? The SCMC Four Corners Tour – Blaine, Washington – San Diego - Key West - Madawaska, Maine? Iron Butt 1,000? The Canada to Mexico run? 48 states in 27 days? North to Alaska?

I don’t see much about crossing Canada or touring Nova Scotia. Surely someone has . . . where is your story?

I see only one reference to riding to Cabo San Lucas. Whew! I’ve found Baja and Old Mexico are great on two wheels. What is your experience?

I’ve done the above rides on two wheels and plan on repeating them on three.

Now, I’m 85 years old. I can’t wait for procrastinators to write about their trips― someday. I want them now.

If you only ride in your home state, what is your favorite loop, destination, or eating place? When is the best time to visit your state? Why? What should I avoid?

Where can I find the best Bar-B-Que? Tex-Mex? Burger? Cold drinks? Music? Camping? Curviest roads? (Yeah, I’ve done the Dragon.) Wild women?

What was the worst day of riding you’ve experienced? Best day? Expensive?

I can’t believe that I’m the only one wanting to hear your tales. If all else fails. Lie! Make something up. Share. Time’s a wastin’.
    I would like that too... I've not posted much here, but have done the highlighted rides in your post above, plus a few more... Mt Evans (highest paved road in USA); highest point in North Carolina/Georgia/Alabama; ridden in the Bahamas & Mexico. I have a week-long riding trip in the Smokies the end of April, and a week in northwestern Arkansas in June.
    Not bragging, just trying to cram in more with this 81year-old carcass.
    Thanks for your post and I hope to read more trip tales.....might even pen one myself.
    John B.
    Current ride: 2020 Spyder RT-s Petrol Metallic Blue dark with OEM top case

Spyder Garage

I'll being riding from Virginia to New Orleans and then to Memphis before heading home, this will be in September. It's not really a joy ride, I'll be on a personal mission. If y'all want to hear about it, let me know.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-05-2024 at 09:16 PM.

Spyder Garage

Doing Yellowstone again along with Grand Teton in July. Trailering to Billings, then ryding to Bozeman, Driggs (Idaho) and up through the Tetons into Yellowstone, then Beartooth Hwy back to Billings. We use Shaka Guide for guiding the many stops along the way.
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dusterdude View Post
    I'll being riding from Virginia to New Orleans and then to Memphis before heading home, this will be in September. It's not really a joy ride, I'll be on a personal mission. If y'all want to hear about it, let me know.
    YES!! We do wan't to hear about it, PLEASE!!

2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Once upon a time, in a galaxy, far, far, away, there lived an old biker. He liked "big iron," and by his riding dress, you would have guessed he was "the leader of a pack" of some nasty gang. He was an adventurous old coot and was a regular reader of the motorcycle mags of the time. Many new big irons were purchased because of his affinity for the "latest, and greatest."

While thumbing through the "Whats new" section of one of the cycle rags, he saw an "odd" creation. It was a trike, but oddly enough, it had two wheels in the front. Backwards from a "real" trike was in his mind. He said, I got to get me one of those. Went to the local dealer, he said they were going to get some, but it may be awhile. They were destined to be sold only in the lower 48. Sorry Alaska. !!! The dealer did have some pull with BRP though. He was the largest Ski Doo dealer in the US at the time. He did want a deposit from me, (I had only bought three "big irons" from him in the last seven years). Oct of 2007 I gave him my deposit of $500 and said, get me one of those.

They offered Yellow, Red, or Half Moon Silver for those first models. In June of 2008, I got the call. Your Half Moon Silver is in. It has a 5 speed manual. I did get the first one sold to a customer in AK. He snarfed two others, one for him and one for his wife. Then, the contest started. Who could make the meanest looking, handling, etc. new Spyder. In those days, there was no "aftermarket" stuff for the Spyders. It was a create as you go situation. Thanks to Corbin, and some adventurous venders ready to strike out after the "new market." $6000 later worth of bling is what is shown. And unfortunately, my words are still true. Accessories are worth 50% to zero at trade in or resale time.

The story continues with the Red one. That was the first SE (automatic to you) to hit the state. She was NEVER going to ride a motorcycle, EVER. That's another story, and I even got to play that one out 4 years later with my eventually to be next wife.

A link to my picture album showing the start of it all....

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...chmentid=20862

TO BE CONTINUED: ????
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 04-06-2024 at 12:59 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Hi ARtraveler,
    Your last post is what I'm looking for. Great photos.
    It's a beautiful sunshiny day in eastern Tennessee. So, three of us ( A Ryker, a Sea to Sky, and a Honda Africa-Twin) braved the 48-degree start of a 100-mile loop around Kingston. Trees are sporting new leaves, home homeowners are battling the advent of grass lawn maintenance season. I love how those on riding mowers always give a "V" finger wave. Boat launch ramps were crowded. Bass boats raced along the Tennessee River. A car show in Rockland featured a hundred cars ranging from 1928 to 2024 models. A red 1951 two-door hardtop Ford, captured my heart. Only 8,000 were ever built. Few survive.

Now, who is next to share an adventure?
    Rattlesnake 1,000
    Don Diego 400
    Cal 500 & 1,000

Spyder Garage

Hi ARtraveler,
    Your last post is what I'm looking for. Great photos.
    It's a beautiful sunshiny day in eastern Tennessee. So, three of us ( A Ryker, a Sea to Sky, and a Honda Africa-Twin) braved the 48-degree start of a 100-mile loop around Kingston. Trees are sporting new leaves, home homeowners are battling the advent of grass lawn maintenance season. I love how those on riding mowers always give a "V" finger wave. Boat launch ramps were crowded. Bass boats raced along the Tennessee River. A car show in Rockland featured a hundred cars ranging from 1928 to 2024 models. A red 1951 two-door hardtop Ford, captured my heart. Only 8,000 were ever built. Few survive.

Now, who is next to share an adventure?
    Your mention of those "crispy" morning starts bring back a lot of memories. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!! Have a great riding day.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have traveled alot in the Maritimes and Quebec, Also know NH and Vermont quite well. Most of my trips are posted in the Maine Forum. Th Rides forum was not available at the time of most of those trips. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Oj y'all,ill try to remember to post on the trip.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Am I alone?

Intrinsically my wife and I ride to be alone. For almost 50 years it's been that way. We take secondary routes and avoid the freeways and interstates when possible. And we avoid the group rides. Yeah, we've been on them but to us they become boring. Pretty soon we find ourselves playing to the whims of the crowd following the rut. Other riders often split off also for those same reasons. We ride for the enjoyment of being with one another and sharing our experiences, which I view as invaluable. We've found ourselves from time to time alone on the open road with a 360-degree view of the beautiful world with no one in it but us. Rarely an epiphany moment, that simply can't be recovered. Sorry for being stingy but we only go around once, there are no do overs.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Intrinsically my wife and I ride to be alone. For almost 50 years it's been that way. We take secondary routes and avoid the freeways and interstates when possible. And we avoid the group rides. Yeah, we've been on them but to us they become boring. Pretty soon we find ourselves playing to the whims of the crowd following the rut. Other riders often split off also for those same reasons. We ride for the enjoyment of being with one another and sharing our experiences, which I view as invaluable. We've found ourselves from time to time alone on the open road with a 360-degree view of the beautiful world with no one in it but us. Rarely an epiphany moment, that simply can't be recovered. Sorry for being stingy but we only go around once, there are no do overs.
    That explains us as well. Nova Scotia to Key West and sea to shining sea. If we ever meet I will be happy to tell the tales, but a writer I ain't.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Navydad,

You don't have to be a "writer!"

Imagine you're sitting by a campfire or on a patio or even a lakeside dock. Tell us in your own words and style about the time you got caught in a thunderstorm in Left-turn-ahead, wherever. You don't get graded like we are in school. We all enjoy hearing and reading of other folks adventures. Makes me want to go find "Left-turn-ahead." What about the time you stopped in the middle of nowhere and the bike wouldn't start. Only took an hour to find the kill switch . . . tripped. Or the time . . ...
    Rattlesnake 1,000
    Don Diego 400
    Cal 500 & 1,000