Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Glovebox won't latch - any ideas on how to fix this?

Hi folks, 2014 RTS.
    The guy that had the bike before me took it to the dealership for some work. When he got it back, the glovebox wouldn't latch. I know that it's supposed to latch, then when you push it down again it's supposed to pop up.
    Any ideas on how to fix this please?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-04-2024 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jackhartjr View Post
    Hi folks, 2014 RTS.
    The guy that had the bike before me took it to the dealership for some work. When he got it back, the glovebox wouldn't latch. I know that it's supposed to latch, then when you push it down again it's supposed to pop up.
    Any ideas on how to fix please?
    Try squirting some DRY lube onto the latch mechanism ..... good luck ...Mike

Spyder Garage

20d nail and a five-pound single jack. The damn glovebox lid WILL stay shut.

Spyder Garage

With the glove box open you can push the latch down and it should catch in the closed position. If it does not, do you still feel resistance from the spring that controls the latching mechanism? If you do not feel any resistance from the spring, I'm sorry, I think you may be in for some disassembly. If you feel resistance from the spring but the latch does not click in the closed position, spray the mechanism with some silicone; DO NOT use WD-40! That may free up the latching mechanism. Spray a bit more silicone and keep exercising it. If you then push the closed latch it will sprung up to the unlatched position.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Hi folks, 2014 RTS.
    Any ideas on how to fix this please?
    The problem is the latch is already latched, open the lid and manually push down on the latch. This should release the latch and you can close the lid and it should latch.

Spyder Garage

Folks, so far no luck. Wondering if it may have something to do with the dealership not putting the cable back on to the switch.
    If so, which side should I start taking panels off to look for the cable?
    I just replaced the headlights, so I am VERY familiar with the Tupperware! Lol

Spyder Garage

You must remove the left side panel and left acoustic panel to get to the glove box cable. If you find you must remove the glove box send me a PM with your regular email address.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Hi folks, I removed the panels.
    The catch that holds the cable in place at the glovebox had broken.
    However, I wonder if I have two issues.
    The spring is not broken. I can push it down and it comes back up. It simply won't catch, and the release when you push the glovebox down.
    I am getting instructions on how to remove the glovebox.

Spyder Garage

Hi folks, what exactly does the cable that locks the glovebox do?
    In the other post I said that the keeper that holds the cable in place under the glovebox latch was broken at the dealership prior to my purchase.
    Would that effect the latching and opening of the glovebox when not locked?
    Again, the spring is good, it flips down, and springs back up. It simply doesn't catch like it should!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-05-2024 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Removed Post title after merge - they mess with Searching; and we REALLY like to keep ALL the discussion on a problem in one thread! ;-)

Spyder Garage

As asked by the moderators here:

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-your-Sig-Line!

it would help if you put the year and model of your Spyder in your signature block so others would know what you're asking about. Different years have different glove boxes and cables and latches.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-05-2024 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Please don't hide links under text - they WILL be exposed to reduce the risk of scams/spams!
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Sorry, 2014 RTS.

Spyder Garage

Please put that in your Profile, signature block as well, now maybe some '14 RTS owners can answer your question.
    Though it's likely if the cable mount broke, the latch is not operating properly and so doesn't catch when you close it.
    My 2018 RT glovebox lid seat gap is too close and when I sit on the bike (admittedly overweight old geezer here) Just my bulk on the seat makes the glove box unlatch. Have to loosen the rear mount bolts and slide the seat back a bit.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

I would love to put that in the signature block, I have done what I think I should do, to no avail!
    How about a step by step guide, instead of, "go to settings!"
    2014 RTS

Spyder Garage

I would love to put that in the signature block, I have done what I think I should do, to no avail!
    How about a step by step guide, instead of, "go to settings!"
    It is there now; I can see it now.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-05-2024 at 09:22 PM.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Sorry, 2014 RTS.
    I have a 14 RT also .... If mine has a locking mechanism I haven't found it yet .....Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I have a 14 RT also .... If mine has a locking mechanism I haven't found it yet .....Mike
    Mike, look at pg 42 of your operator's guide and see the three steps.

1. Insert key in ignition switch.
    2. Rotate the handlebar all the way to
    the right or to the left.
    3. Turn the key 1/4 turn counterclockwise
    to the steering lock position
    then remove key.

I can see Jack's signature now too.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-05-2024 at 09:22 PM.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hi folks, what exactly does the cable that locks the glovebox do?
    In the other post I said that the keeper that holds the cable in place under the glovebox latch was broken at the dealership prior to my purchase.
    Would that effect the latching and opening of the glovebox when not locked?
    Again, the spring is good, it flips down, and springs back up. It simply doesn't catch like it should!
    The cable that locks the glove box? What does it do? ...well, Jack, it locks the glove box.

It's like this. The handle bars on a Spyder will lock, just like other bike's do, except it doesn't have to be just to left. If you turn the handle bars fully left or right, then turn the ignition key to the left - don't push down on it, just turn it to the left towards the little padlock symbol - the handle bars are locked. At the same time, the ignition key operates that cable to the glove box and locks the glove box. You can push on it all day long. It will go down against the spring and back up again, but it won't unlatch to open.

One day, with the old 2012, I found out accidentally, that I had left the glove box unlatched AFTER I had already locked the handlebars. With the handle bars locked, the glovebox would not latch. Pushed it down repeatedly. I had to unlock the handlebars first, then pushdown on the glove box to latch, then re-lock the handle bars. This story of yours sounds like your glove box latch thinks the handlebars are locked. Shouldn't be a big deal to correct even with a broken cable. Try repositioning the broken piece that the cable would attach to.

Now, for everybody who is going to go out to their bike and try this, that cable has a history of coming disconnected at the ignition switch end. So, it may or may not work correctly. The barrel shaped end pops out of its receptacle on the switch assembly. This keeps the glove box from ever locking when the handle bars are locked. Not fun to re-attach in there, but it can be done. Been there, done that, too.

PS - Sorry J, we were typing at the same time.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 04-05-2024 at 05:23 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Peter Aawen - Is it worth merging this thread with the other one (Glovebox won’t latch) on the same issue from the OP? There are lots of duplicating answers.

Pete
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-05-2024 at 09:23 PM.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Mike, look at pg 42 of your operator's guide and see the three steps.

1. Insert key in ignition switch.
    2. Rotate the handlebar all the way to
    the right or to the left.
    3. Turn the key 1/4 turn counterclockwise
    to the steering lock position
    then remove key.

I can see Jack's signature.
    Thanks ..... since I have never locked my handlebars, my glovebox has never been locked .....Mike

Spyder Garage

There's nothing in my glovebox worth stealing so I never lock it or the handlebars either.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Peter Aawen - Is it worth merging this thread with the other one (Glovebox won’t latch) on the same issue from the OP? There are lots of duplicating answers.

Pete
    Already on it, Pete, but it took a while - there's very little signal out where I am atm, and it's intermittent at that; plus, the bloody Search facility isn't working right now either, so I hadta scroll thru all the recent threads to find the right one!!

But now it's done!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Hi folks, as I mentioned, the dealership broke the keeper for the cable at the latch end. I went out this morning, pulled on the cable and it locked! I let the cable go and it unlocked. So I know that the latch mechanism is still good.
    I am ordering a new glovebox from the dealer, ( believe it or not, only $65.00!) Now let's start taking the glovebox off!
    Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions folks!
    2014 RTS

Spyder Garage

Correction, $85.00 for the glovebox!
    2014 RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Already on it, Pete, but it took a while - there's very little signal out where I am atm, and it's intermittent at that; plus, the bloody Search facility isn't working right now either, so I hadta scroll thru all the recent threads to find the right one!!

But now it's done!
    Intermittent signal? …….Well, you did choose a very backward state in which to live, Peter. Oh…..wait……my signal is very intermittent too

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Any helpful hints on Glovebox removal? 2014 RTS

Hi folks, getting ready to replace the glovebox on my 2014 RTS.
    Before jumping into it, any helpful hints?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-07-2024 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Moved Post title into text after thread merge... ;-/
    2014 RTS