Spyder Garage

Default RT seat and trunk shock strut replacement

Today turned out to be the day I replaced the trunk lift strut on my 2015 RT-S and the trunk and seat lift struts on my wife's 2021 Sea to Sky. All three are Show Chrome heavy duty struts available from Lamonster Garage and several other vendors. Both trunk struts include detailed instructions and are straight forward requiring no more than 10 to 15 minutes (without breaks). And both function as advertised - the lids open easily and stay open.

The 2020+ RT seat strut replacement is a bit more complicated. The instructions are adequate, but I found an excellent video by Pierre at canamspyderaccessories.com was very helpful. It's very well done and offers tips that make the task easier than some other forum members have experienced. The best way to release the bottom of the OEM strut from its post is with a long narrow flat bladed screwdriver as described in the Show Chrome instructions. It may take a few attempts, but it does work better than Pierre's "from under the Spyder" technique, at least for me.

Attachment of the lower end of the new strut using Pierre's technique works exactly as he demonstrates. The best way to understand is to watch the video but, with more than a few words, here's how it works. Standing on the left side of the machine facing to the rear, align the strut socket with the lower post. Grasp the body of the strut with the left hand and the upper attachment point with the right thumb and forefinger. While pushing to the rear with the left hand, pull sharply toward the front of the machine with the right hand until you hear a distinct snap. That's the hardest part; attach the upper strut screw, replace the passenger seat and the driver backrest if appropriate. The driver's seat will now remain in the up position when you want it to. Another improvement that's worth the cost of the items.
    Last edited by Arion; 04-02-2024 at 06:26 PM.
    2015 Spyder RT-S (Arion) and 2021 RTL Sea to Sky (charming wife)
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Arion, glad you were successful. I added a spring to my seat shock and I did replace the trunk lid shock. Both work like they should, now. You would think BRP would install stronger struts than they do. Since they have not done so since 2010 they probably wont. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

I added a stronger seat strut when I put the back rest on the seat several years ago and it has worked like a charm even with the new heavier seat from Mark Hart. I got it from McMaster Carr. I also got my new trunk lid strut from them also as well as a second strut and mounting hardware from them. My trunk lid now stays up even with the rack on there and a slight load. It is worth doing and I am glad I did it. All the part numbers can be found here in the forum, you will just have to do a little searching. It may be that Lamonster has all the parts also.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by safecracker View Post
    Arion, glad you were successful. I added a spring to my seat shock and I did replace the trunk lid shock. Both work like they should, now. You would think BRP would install stronger struts than they do. Since they have not done so since 2010 they probably wont. Bruce
    i bought the spring for the seat strut fix but never did get around to installing it. I misplaced it in the garage and then completely forgot about it. Oh well, the new gas struts were a good fix. I agree with you regarding BRPs weak struts. They must have managed a spectacular deal on tons of borderline adequate struts.
    2015 Spyder RT-S (Arion) and 2021 RTL Sea to Sky (charming wife)
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

When I went to replace my Seat Strut, I watched both Pierre's and Martin the Vlogger's videos and Martin showed doing the bottom release with a long screw driver, it took a couple of times, but it was pretty easy..
    2022 Sea to Sky

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Safe Cracker, that spring idea sounds very interesting, can you be more specific, like spring size, how the install goes, maybe a pic? Thanks.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-04-2024 at 08:07 AM.

Spyder Garage

A long thin flat blade screwdriver is definitely a key tool for that seat shock.

I want to say that Show Chrome knocked this offering out of the park! Better that the OEM!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-04-2024 at 08:06 AM.
    2021 RTL Marsala Dark Edition 4.13.2021
    Lamonster Riser
    Spyder Extras Docking station
    Zumo XT (my own Plug & Play cable)
    WrapMySpyder Carbon fiber partial kit.
    Baja Ron ultra performance sway bar and end links

2015 RTS SM6 Intense Red
    born on date 3/2015 (mine on 9/12/15)
    Sold on 4.13.2021 33k of fun.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Safe Cracker, that spring idea sounds very interesting, can you be more specific, like spring size, how the install goes, maybe a pic? Thanks.
    I too would like to hear more about this spring idea. Sounds like something that would be useful. My trunk lid is fine (for now), but the seat strut is a pain.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white