Spyder Garage

Default How do I put my RT Ltd into Neutral and shut off parking brake alarm?

I’m a new Spyder owner and have a 2023 RT Limited. There are times, like when wanting to check tire pressure, when I want it in Neutral so I can slowly roll it. That means I want the parking brake off. But if I shut the Spyder down with the parking brake off it gives me 20 seconds of screaming at me. How do we shut the bike down, in neutral, with the parking brake off without triggering 20 minutes of misery?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-02-2024 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

That just how it is designed!
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Fronts really don't matter for valve stem orientation. I usually note where the rear one is, turn bike on and disengage parking brake and roll it to where I think I'll have access. I usually get it right, you can access the rear one as long as it's in the back 1/4 of the revolution or so. Then put it back in park and turn it off. That's how I do it anyway.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderMinimalist View Post
    I’m a new Spyder owner and have a 2023 RT Limited. There are times, like when wanting to check tire pressure, when I want it in Neutral so I can slowly roll it. That means I want the parking brake off. But if I shut the Spyder down with the parking brake off it gives me 20 seconds of screaming at me. How do we shut the bike down, in neutral, with the parking brake off without triggering 20 minutes of misery?
    My 2020RTL will beep for about 15 seconds, definitely NOT 20 MINUTES!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-02-2024 at 08:34 AM.
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

You don't!

As others have said, it's only 20 seconds, and it's made that way so that you don't walk off after shutting your bike down only to have your bike roll away & potentially be damaged/cause a lot of damage all cos you forgot to set the Parking Brake!! And the SE5 or SE6 Spyders WILL roll once the engine is stopped without the Park Brake even if you're not in Neutral, cos they both need the engine to run to engage any gear!

So the 20 Seconds of alarm yelling at you is basically the tiny price you pay for being reminded that you forgot to set the Park Brake; only as a result of having that alarm to protect you from yourself, you also hafta put up with the alarm for a whole 20 seconds when you choose to leave the Parking Brake off deliberately!

It's a "see-saw's & teeter-totter's" thing!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-02-2024 at 10:55 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

You Can’t! If the brake's not on when bike is turned off, it defaults to alarm for 20 seconds! However, you do not have to be in N to move around; it's easier, yes; but it's not needed just for a few feet of movement with the SE's. There are also a few different threads here on valve stem extensions & alternatives to make tire inflation/checking easier!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-02-2024 at 10:56 AM.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When I stop with not wanting the parking brake on, I put my gloves tightly on the dash to somewhat quieten the alarm.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

very simple turn key on release parking brake roll to spot set p brake turn key off always park in neutral

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    very simple turn key on release parking brake roll to spot set p brake turn key off always park in neutral
    I do as Fatboy describes, all the time, especially when checking rear tire pressure to get the valve stem in a reachable position. Remember, when you roll your Spyder to where you want, engage the parking brake before leaving the machine (whether the key is in the on or off position). Also, for safety while rolling the Spyder around, always be in a position to engage the parking brake in case the Spyder gets away from you.
    Current: 2022 RTL SE6 Red Marsala and 2012 622 Trailer Lava Bronze,
    Previous: 2014 RTL SE6 Black Currant - 58,746 miles,
    2012 RTL SE5 Lava Bronze - 19,675 miles

Spyder Garage

Although I always do, you don't need to put the Spyder in Neutral before you shut off the engine. The SE transmission will allow you to move the Spyder by hand when it's in 1st or Reverse, it just takes a little more effort than when it's in Neutral. When I pull into the level floor garage, I routinely tap it into N, set the parking brake and turn off the engine. It becomes habit. Since your new to the Y-Game, you'll develop your own routines for everything.

Just remember one thing, don't turn off the ignition when you're off the machine on the left side unless you see the parking brake light flashing on the display.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-02-2024 at 04:48 PM.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you don't want to hear the alarm when you turn the key off, then don't turn the key off. Just kill the engine with the Kill Switch. How long does it take you to check tire pressures, anyway. (reminds me of an old joke)

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

As others have said, shut it off, then just turn the key to on without actually starting the machine. now turn the parking brake off and roll to where you want it. Set the parking brake and turn key off again.
    2023 Spyder RT Ltd
    2023 RT Ltd , Hyper Silver Black

Spyder Garage

Whenever my Spyder is parked in my garage, it's in neutral and the parking brake is always off. My key stays with it, too. I also use a plastic wheel chock to be safe. I don't think twice about the 20 seconds of beeping.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Yep, that's the answer. At least it works for our two Spyders.
    2015 Spyder RT-S (Arion) and 2021 RTL Sea to Sky (charming wife)
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LongIsland View Post
    I do as Fatboy describes, all the time, especially when checking rear tire pressure to get the valve stem in a reachable position. Remember, when you roll your Spyder to where you want, engage the parking brake before leaving the machine (whether the key is in the on or off position). Also, for safety while rolling the Spyder around, always be in a position to engage the parking brake in case the Spyder gets away from you.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayRyder View Post
    As others have said, shut it off, then just turn the key to on without actually starting the machine. now turn the parking brake off and roll to where you want it. Set the parking brake and turn key off again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arion View Post
    Yep, that's the answer. At least it works for our two Spyders.
    For many of us, that's ^^ the simplest solution!

HOWEVER, I'd strongly recommend that you don't do that too often if your bike is parked up for the winter & you're not actively managing the battery's state of charge!!

Why not?? Simple - every time you turn the key on, the system goes thru its 'Start-up' process, which is a noticeable drain on your battery; and once it's started that process, the system keeps everything ON for a while, regardless of if you turn the key off pretty much straight away - it's not 'tens of minutes', but it's certainly long enough to add up to a significant drain on your battery's 'state of charge' over time &/or repetitions!!

So if you think you might need to move your Spyder more than just a couple of times during your annual lay-up period, then unless you either ACTIVELY manage your battery's state of charge during any extended lay-up (saaayy, more than a couple of weeks... ) and by 'actively', I DON'T mean just connecting it to a tender/maintainer and simply leaving it for a few months; you REALLY will be better off simply turning your bike OFF without setting the park brake and putting up with the few seconds of beeping while it reminds you that you've chosen to do that!!

Simples, really!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Can also get a "FOBO Bike 2" tire pressure monitor set of valve caps, then you just need to look at your phone to check pressures on all tires at once.
    2022 Spyder RT Ltd Petrol Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Two2Three View Post
    Can also get a "FOBO Bike 2" tire pressure monitor set of valve caps, then you just need to look at your phone to check pressures on all tires at once.
    Yep, but that doesn’t solve the issue of how to orient the rear tyre when FOBO says it needs air, Two2. Like many others above, I turn the ignition on, release the brake (after making sure I’m not parked on a slope ), roll the RT, reapply the brake, turn off the ignition

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    For many of us, that's ^^ the simplest solution!

HOWEVER, I'd strongly recommend that you don't do that too often if your bike is parked up for the winter & you're not actively managing the battery's state of charge!!

Why not?? Simple - every time you turn the key on, the system goes thru its 'Start-up' process, which is a noticeable drain on your battery; and once it's started that process, the system keeps everything ON for a while, regardless of if you turn the key off pretty much straight away - it's not 'tens of minutes', but it's certainly long enough to add up to a significant drain on your battery's 'state of charge' over time &/or repetitions!!

So if you think you might need to move your Spyder more than just a couple of times during your annual lay-up period, then unless you either ACTIVELY manage your battery's state of charge during any extended lay-up (saaayy, more than a couple of weeks... ) and by 'actively', I DON'T mean just connecting it to a tender/maintainer and simply leaving it for a few months; you REALLY will be better off simply turning your bike OFF without setting the park brake and putting up with the few seconds of beeping while it reminds you that you've chosen to do that!!

Simples, really!
    As always it seems, good advice. You certainly help keep many of us on the right track. Thanks from one member!
    2015 Spyder RT-S (Arion) and 2021 RTL Sea to Sky (charming wife)
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

. . . . ?
    Last edited by cruisinTX; 04-19-2024 at 07:50 AM.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    I put mine in neutral by making sure I'm 1st gear before I shut it down; then simply hit the reverse paddle without pushing the "R" button down. That will put the tranny in neutral then shut the key off without the parking brake set. Learn to live with the 20 seconds of beeping. I only do this inside the garage so I can move it around more easily which I occasionally need to do from time to time. I never do that anywhere else except on my level concrete garage floor.
    I always recommend leaving it in Neutral .... I don't do it this way .... The SE trans. allows you to move the Spyder around without being it neutral ....Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-18-2024 at 07:45 PM. Reason: neural... ;-)

Spyder Garage

. . . . ?
    Last edited by cruisinTX; 04-19-2024 at 07:50 AM. Reason: neural ;-)

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    Yeah, I know but just like the ease of having it in neutral.
    .... I said I leave mine in NEUTRAL ..... I just do it in a LESS complicated way than you do it .....Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 04-19-2024 at 10:36 PM.

Spyder Garage

OP, you can "mute" the sound by at least half if you take the IC off, remove the back cover and apply some tape to the emitter. With the back cover off, reconnect the cable and turn the key on/then off to locate the emitter. I have had my F3S this way for years. I did two or three layers of a metalized tape and it has held up perfectly...

EDIT: I just tuned in to the fact you have an RT, but I "think" the premise is the same...
    Last edited by hypurone; 04-19-2024 at 10:39 AM.

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic