Spyder Garage

Default Need to replace my frunk cable! What are the steps to replacing?

I went out to fire up my spyder for the first time since hybridization. Disconnected the tender and she fired right up. Drove her out into sun and figured let her run a while. Took her for a 20 minute cruise came back and went to open frunk and nothing! Looked under hood could see connection, used a dowel rod and she opened first try. Somehow my cable snapped in the middle of casing. Looks pretty rusty too. Not sure how that happened. What’s the steps to replacing? I assume remove the ignition, dash and everything. Does new cable just hook on key or is there a lot more to it? I temporarily just looped a thin cable and cable tied to old spot. Put zip-tie to hold in slot and ran it down to the shock with a loop on end. I can finger pull it open as a temp till I fix the key. What’s this entail?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-01-2024 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

What's wrong with a finger cable for permanent solution to the problem???

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I have the same Spyder as you. To replace the frunk cable, the whole dash console has to be removed to access the ignition switch. The cable clips onto the back side of the ignition module.
    I replaced my handlebars with the tri-axis bars, that is how I know. You can do it yourself - just take your time and take lots of pictures to help put it all back together.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-01-2024 at 07:28 PM.
    2017 RTL Asphalt Grey Metallic Chrome
    2017 RTL , Asphalt Grey Mettalic

Spyder Garage

Service manuals are cheap and well worth the cost:

https://www.flipbookpublishing.shop/#/
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Spyder RSS

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

OR do as Al said above ..... forget the fixing the cable connected to the ignition switch .... 100's if not 1000's here have gone to an emergency cable release ( I use mine ALL the time ). there are many vids about how to do it. .... I suggest you connect the cable at the end of the long metal release ARM .... do this by removing the entire mechanism and drill a small hole .... Lowe's and Home depot sell braided wire by the foot... get 3 ft.... attach one end to the mechanism and the other end to a small piece of wood .... put the cable to he left ( right as you face the spyder ) side and place the wood behind the plastic grille for ease of using it .... IMHO they never should have used the ignition switch to release the frunk or the SEAT .... good luck ....Mike

Spyder Garage

Do something like NorwegianRT did for his RT except for the seat. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ight=norwegian
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange