Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Thinking about buying a Can Am - looking for advice??

Hello all. I decided to join this forum after reading the do's and don'ts sticky and also because in reading another post about whether to get a Ryker or a Spyder which was posted by a Ryker owner who is the same age as me (75). In reading that thread, I discovered that there are plenty of folks on this forum my age or older. That makes me feel good about considering a Can Am. I've been riding since I was 17 and sold my last two wheeler, Harley Ultra Classic, in 2018. It was becoming a little cumbersome to ride. Since then, I've considered lighter 2 wheelers, but I think I would be better off with a trike. I've been looking around and I'm pretty sure a reverse trike is the best choice for me. I haven't ridden a Can Am yet, but I've looked at them and sat on them. I have recently found at a local dealership (all former students of mine) a 2020 Ryker Rally with 300 (yes 300) miles on it for 8500.00 and a 2020 Spyder (can't exactly recall the model) with side trunks but no top trunk for 17K. I think it has about 5900 miles on it. I've also looked on marketplace. I haven't made up my mind yet. I don't expect to do a great deal of touring but might do some. My biggest concern is that I'm not sure the Ryker will carry my weight as well as my lady friend's weight. I'm about 260 pounds and my lady is about 230. It would be quite load for the Ryker and the passenger seat would leave much to be desired for her also. But the difference in price is a lot. I have seen some of the older 998 cc bikes for less, but I'm not sure I should buy something from vintage mainly because I might not be able to get parts for it. I'm not familiar with Can Am's policy on older equipment.

So, I'm looking for advice. Would weight be an issue on the Ryker? I know that bike only weighs about 550 pounds whereas the spyder comes in at around 850 or so. Both are lighter than my Ultra which weighed a little over 900 pounds. Would a 998 cc spyder, if it's in good shape, be a viable choice? I think I should ask the dealer what his policy is on servicing older spyders. Whatever advice you all can give will be much appreciated.

The salesman at the dealership I visited told me there are Can Am demo days coming up the end of May. I had hoped not to have to wait that long for a test ride. Maybe I'll look at some machines ofered on Marketplace and get a test right on one of those. In the meantime, I hope to learn more.

Don Williams a.k.a. librarian

Spyder Garage

I have both a 2019 Ryker Rally and a 2014 Spyder RSS. For you two, Spyder.
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Spyder RSS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Concur with DickB -- Spyder. If you will be riding 2-up road trips then the 1330cc 3-cylinder is the better choice over the 998cc 2-cylinder (both a good engines but you will have to spin the 998cc pretty high to avoid being a road hazard). Definitely ask your dealer if they service Spyders older than 10 years as many dealers no longer are. Parts availability shouldn't be too much of a problem for either Spyder, especially if you're will to chase them on eBay.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Can Am RT is what you need. As far as 998 vs 1330. I have a 2011 RT-S which does everything that I want. My riding buddy has a 2020 RT Ltd which has the 1330 engine. You can find a used Can Am RT 2010-2013 at a very reasonable price (these have the 998 engine with 5 speed transmission) 2014-2019 will be more expensive but still reasonable (these have the 1330 engine with 6 speed transmission). 2020+ have the new body style with 1330 engine and 6 speed transmission. The 1330 engine requires less maintenance, better gas mileage and smoother operation. The 998 engine is a V-twin engine which requires higher RPMs to operate at full capabilities and therefore has lower MPG and less miles between oil changes. If I were starting from scratch I would look at 2014-2019 models (either RT or F3 models.) Enjoy your quest and keep reading Spyder lovers because you will find your answers.
    Last edited by Leaping1; 04-01-2024 at 03:25 PM.
    2011 Can AM RT-S SE5 Red

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the site.

There are many here who share our age. Recommended is an actual test drive of the machines you are interested in. They Ryker is like a crotch rocket compared to the RT or F3 Selections. RT is more like a GoldWing ride and F3, I liken to a Jaguar. They all have their pluses and minuses. Since 2008 I have owned all but Ryker. The early Spyders (GS and RS) were more like crotch rockets compared to a Goldwing. In 2010, they produced the first RT's. A big improvement. They have now been updated three times more since 2010. The 20's and up are really, really, nice.

Buy what you like best. I am still voting for something in RT or F3 in your case, based on your description. Let us know what you decide.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

....If at all possible try to test ride an RT with 1330 engine .....500 lbs is a lot to move around .... the Ryker will be quite stressed with the weight involved ..... I have told all NEW spyder riders this .... Drive it like a car .... and test the BRAKES ASAP , they will surprise you with how well they stop ...... good luck ...Mike

Spyder Garage

Stopped in because of my first reaction when I read your title: I think about mine a lot too. My Girlfriend gets jealous about that.

Edit... he changed the title from "Thinking about a Can-Am.." Now my post doesn't make sense, lol.
    Last edited by Allen42; 04-02-2024 at 08:59 AM.
    2019 Spyder RT Ltd. Bought in Jan 2024. Can-Am states only.

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you are going to be be riding 2 up very frequently stay away from the ryker as your better half will be beating you up as much as the ryker will be beating her up.

A base F3 or F3S will require at least an upgrade to the rear shock so an F3T or limited or the RT would be my most likely choice plus you will have the extra storage for taking along anything on a weekend/short trip with your better half.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

One thing to keep in mind is maintenance. Are you doing your own along with repairs? With Spyders like so many other vehicles it is getting harder to find a shop that will work on one over ten years old. The 998 models are at or very close to that cutoff point. On the positive side I believe you will be very happy with a Spyder. We too have been at this game for many years and kicked around the idea for quite sometime before we bought our RT. Haven't regretted a minute of it.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

An important piece of info to keep in mind is that, according to BRP, the Ryker's maximum capacity is 435 pounds (rider, passenger, luggage, and whatever other bits are added). My wife and I have both ridden Rykers and liked them, but we aren't going to part with our Spyders - mine is a 2015 RT-S and hers is a 2021 Sea to Sky. Disclosure: she's a youthful 72 and I'm mostly original equipment 79 (but don't feel or act like it). And when I grow up, I think I'd like to be the captain of a Klingon battle cruiser.
    Last edited by Arion; 04-01-2024 at 03:43 PM.
    2015 Spyder RT-S (Arion) and 2021 RTL Sea to Sky (charming wife)
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

I have two 2018 RT Limited Spyders. The 2020+ RTL will provide a little more seat room for two larger riders. Some replace the 2020+ RT handlebars with F3 bars, as in tight turns the handlebar will run into your thigh. I took my AZ trike course on a 2020 and experienced that issue. Which brings up a good issue, go to your local dealer and see if they have trike classes in your area, well worth taking the course.

And as I tell all new owners, out on the highway do not try to steer it. Just glide it! Need to correct left, push forward a bit on the right hand handlebar and vice a versa. Try to man handle it out on the open road and it will be all over the road! Driving a snowmobile is about the closest comparison.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by librarian View Post
    Hello all. I decided to join this forum after reading the do's and don'ts sticky and also because in reading another post about whether to get a Ryker or a Spyder which was posted by a Ryker owner who is the same age as me (75). In reading that thread, I discovered that there are plenty of folks on this forum my age or older. That makes me feel good about considering a Can Am. I've been riding since I was 17 and sold my last two wheeler, Harley Ultra Classic, in 2018. It was becoming a little cumbersome to ride. Since then, I've considered lighter 2 wheelers, but I think I would be better off with a trike. I've been looking around and I'm pretty sure a reverse trike is the best choice for me. I haven't ridden a Can Am yet, but I've looked at them and sat on them. I have recently found at a local dealership (all former students of mine) a 2020 Ryker Rally with 300 (yes 300) miles on it for 8500.00 and a 2020 Spyder (can't exactly recall the model) with side trunks but no top trunk for 17K. I think it has about 5900 miles on it. I've also looked on marketplace. I haven't made up my mind yet. I don't expect to do a great deal of touring but might do some. My biggest concern is that I'm not sure the Ryker will carry my weight as well as my lady friend's weight. I'm about 260 pounds and my lady is about 230. It would be quite load for the Ryker and the passenger seat would leave much to be desired for her also. But the difference in price is a lot. I have seen some of the older 998 cc bikes for less, but I'm not sure I should buy something from vintage mainly because I might not be able to get parts for it. I'm not familiar with Can Am's policy on older equipment.

So, I'm looking for advice. Would weight be an issue on the Ryker? I know that bike only weighs about 550 pounds whereas the spyder comes in at around 850 or so. Both are lighter than my Ultra which weighed a little over 900 pounds. Would a 998 cc spyder, if it's in good shape, be a viable choice? I think I should ask the dealer what his policy is on servicing older spyders. Whatever advice you all can give will be much appreciated.

The salesman at the dealership I visited told me there are Can Am demo days coming up the end of May. I had hoped not to have to wait that long for a test ride. Maybe I'll look at some machines ofered on Marketplace and get a test right on one of those. In the meantime, I hope to learn more.

HI librarian,

I would stay away from the 998 engine, because the parts would be hard to find.

I would go with the RT/F3 Spyder models from 2014 to current, they have the 1330 Ace engine, which is low maintenance, quieter, more power, you can also cruise around town at a lower RPM, ECO Mode, Oil changes at 9500 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first, able to tow a trailer with passenger, no lugging, has several safety features like Stability control, Traction control, ABS brakes, Reverse, Dynamic power steering, Semi-Automatic gear selection, Cruise Control, D.E.S.S. (Digitally Encoded Security System) I had a 2012 RTS-SE5 (since sold/traded) which had a 998 engine; then I traded up to a 2014 RTS-SE6 (since sold) that had a 1330 Ace Engine, now I have a 2023 F3 Ltd Special Series. With the RT Spyder models, you sit more upright, your legs are more in-line with your body.

The F3 spyder models have the U-FIT system, where the floorboards can be Customized to an exact fit based upon your height and riding style (example: rider 5'0" #1 position on floorboards, Rider 5'8" #3 position on floorboard, Rider 6'3" #5 Position on the floorboards). The F3 spyder models you sit lower, more relaxed, and stretched out.

Some of the people on this site that have the F3 spyder models have gone with the Ultimate Floorboards, these boards are longer than the OEM boards. The F3 Spyder models have the self-leveling air ride suspension, 6 speaker sound system, back trunk, etc.

The RT/F3 Spyder models are more stable than a 2-wheeled motorcycle. They have the Cargo Capacity (front, saddlebags, and a rear trunk top case big enough to hold 2 full face helmets). You meet people wherever you go on trips, Spyder events, doing errands...

BRP did all the major upgrades in 2014 to the RT/F3 Spyder models. The RT's or the F3's are capable of handling the weight.

Check the For Sale section on this site.

Deanna
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-03-2024 at 12:48 PM.

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights
    Marinco 12Volt Power Receptacle with polarized leads & slide lock
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Two more cents worth. I'm 73, and my lovely young bride is a mere 70. So yes, folks in their 70's - and some in their 80's - are Spyder riders. We are on our 2nd RT, first was a 2013 RT-L with the 998, current is a 2017 RT-S 1330. We much prefer the 1330. Smoother ride, better transmission, and a lot better gas mileage among other things. So if you can swing a fairly low mileage 2020 or so RT-S, which is the middle range RT, you and your bride will be much happier with the two up riding experience. And yes, yes, yes, test drive the model you are looking to buy. If maybe the one you do buy. And yes, all the comments about more dealers being reluctant to work on 10 year old & older bikes is sadly correct.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

I'm going to agree on doing a test ride with BOTH of you first. The difference between the 998 and 1330 shows up most when you are two-up, and the RTs were better built in general from 2014 forward.

See if you can rent something to try for a day here:
    https://www.riders-share.com

There is no substitute for doing a real ride with both you, as compared to a test ride. You'll know what works for you.

Generally speaking, from 2010-2013 there were some improvements (and a step back) every year, 2014-2019 is largely identical, and 2020-present is also largely identical. I prefer the post 2020 ride, but the differences aren't large compared to a 2014. The difference between a pre-2014 and a 2014 forward is significant.

The Riker doesn't feel like the best match for you, especially two-up.

EDIT: MY Spyder comments are specific to the RT, not the F3. They are meaningfully different.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

I didn't read all the posts, but I'd agree with those I did read. Spyder over Ryker based on what you described. As far as the test ride, you'll probably get your best feel at the Can Am Experience if the event you visit is like the event I visited. The ride was at least an hour, but I'm thinking closer to 90 minutes. Actually, you might be able to ride all 3 machine models/types if you have enough time and they allow it.

I don't know how test rides work from the dealer; I never did one. The only other options are to take the Can Am 3-wheel riding class, but I think those are all done on Rykers now; or maybe find one to rent in your area on Turo or Riders-Share...

Either way, welcome to the Spyderverse and Good Luck for your search and purchase!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-01-2024 at 07:32 PM.
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    I'm going to agree on doing a test ride with BOTH of you first. The difference between the 998 and 1330 shows up most when you are two-up, and the RTs were better built in general from 2014 forward.

See if you can rent something to try for a day here:
    https://www.riders-share.com

There is no substitute for doing a real ride with both you, as compared to a test ride. You'll know what works for you.

Generally speaking, from 2010-2013 there were some improvements (and a step back) every year, 2014-2019 is largely identical, and 2020-present is also largely identical. I prefer the post 2020 ride, but the differences aren't large compared to a 2014. The difference between a pre-2014 and a 2014 forward is significant.

The Riker doesn't feel like the best match for you, especially two-up.

EDIT: MY Spyder comments are specific to the RT, not the F3. They are meaningfully different.
    I dis-agree with test riding with TWO persons .... if the opr. has never driven any Spyder ... starting out with a passenger especially one that weighs 260 lbs. is asking for trouble ..... JMHO ....Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-03-2024 at 12:49 PM.

Spyder Garage

I ride a 2012 998 V-Twin with a lot of miles on it. I have not found parts to be a problem, but I am finding dealers who won't work on it because of age. And at 77 I am getting too old to crawl around on the cement floor. Get the newest one you can afford. Test ride before you buy. It steers like an ATV. If you feel comfortable on it, then put your SO on the back and see how she feels. I at 6'2" & 280#s. My wife is 5'6" and a little more than her High School graduation weight. I have ridden a Ryker. It was comfortable for me; but for me and my wife, no way! If the RT is a little pricey for your budget, try an F3. A basic F3 can be had pretty cheaply, and the foot placement is similar to your Harley. You may have to add bags to carry a jacket and sundries for a day trip, and a back rest for your lady, but they're still pretty cheap.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-02-2024 at 02:45 AM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I am grateful to all of you who have responded to my post with sage advice and tips for what to do. I've mostly been a touring bike guy. In the last 26 years, the smallest bike I've owned was a Honda cb900. I've also owned a Honda 1100 ACE, two Goldwing's as well as my Ultra Classic. So, I think you are all correct in advising me to go with a Spyder over a Ryker. Initially, I was thinking about getting a Polaris RZR, but I think a street ride would get more use overall. I love trail riding too. Had a RZR 900 but no longer. Wish I had it back. I don't wish for my Harley again, but I would surely love to have a nice street ride. No one advised me on the price of the F3-T I mentioned for 17K. It looks very nice. Is that about the best I could hope for price wise on a 2020 Spyder? I'll continue to look around. Renting one for a day is a good idea. I'll look into that. Thanks again to all of you.

Spyder Garage

I think your heading in the right direction, staying away from the Ryker in your case. As far as saying away from the 998, if you find something that has the 998 in a RT, RTL, I would not at all worry about that not being able to do the job. I have one and find it enough, would I like more, sure, but it works great for me. Guess what I am saying is I would not let it be a showstopper if I say something I liked, and it had that motor in it!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I am grateful to all of you who have responded to my post with sage advice and tips for what to do. I've mostly been a touring bike guy. In the last 26 years, the smallest bike I've owned was a Honda cb900. I've also owned a Honda 1100 ACE, two Goldwing's as well as my Ultra Classic. So, I think you are all correct in advising me to go with a Spyder over a Ryker. Initially, I was thinking about getting a Polaris RZR, but I think a street ride would get more use overall. I love trail riding too. Had a RZR 900 but no longer. Wish I had it back. I don't wish for my Harley again, but I would surely love to have a nice street ride. No one advised me on the price of the F3-T I mentioned for 17K. It looks very nice. Is that about the best I could hope for price wise on a 2020 Spyder? I'll continue to look around. Renting one for a day is a good idea. I'll look into that. Thanks again to all of you.

I think the sentiment regarding the F3T wasn't mentioned b/c your initial description was "a 2020 Spyder (can't exactly recall the model) with side trunks but no top trunk for 17K"
    That could describe either the F3T or Base RT or an F3 that has added bags. Sorry.
    However, I think the overall sentiment is that any Spyder model (F3/RT) is the better machine for you. The F3T is made for "touring" but is more of a cruiser. It has less storage than the F3L and RT (series).

$17K is probably a fair price for a 2020. I think back in those days the going rate for a new F3T was $20K+
    With that said, you can probably find a similar price on a newer model. Which to me is a better deal. You'll have warranty if that matters to you.

I've found several newer models (2023) in that same price range, but you'd have to travel to get it or have it shipped. Here's one from Motomember. I bought my RT from their Virginia location. There are also several shops listed on the forum that get good reviews and offer shipping.

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/...ACE-5030075169

Here are a few others on CycleTrader

https://www.cycletrader.com/2023-Can...1564&year=2023

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-02-2024 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Caps; ' 's; & \ 's ... ;-/
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

As everyone has said. You are going to want an RT with the kind of riding you want to do and the weight. Getting a 2010-2013 RT will get you into the Spyder world for less money. The 998 will do all you want it to do if you ride it the way it was designed to be ridden. The HP is essentially the same as the 1330. It just takes a bit more RPM to get there.

Most coming off a motorcycle like you are used to have a hard time spinning the engine the way it is designed to be ridden. Ths 998 more so than the 1330. There is plenty of HP with the 998. Just takes a bit more RPM to get there. The 998 starts making HP right about where a Harley redlines. But once you get used to the sound, it's no longer a problem.

The 1330 has the advantage of making 998 HP sooner in the RPM range. And BRP has made a number of improvements to the Spyder over the years. Still, I wouldn't discount an older machine. Especially if you're not sure of the platform and if funding is important to you. Many start with a much less expensive model to get their feet wet. Then move up to a newer machine if they end up liking the platform.

There is a big learning curve going from 2 wheels to the Spyder. It may feel all wrong to you and you may not like your first ride (or several afterwards) until you get used to the way it handles. Believe me, many of us have Been There, Done That. But once you get accustomed to the machine, you will find it to be one of the best rides you've ever owned. The Spyder is every bit as much fun as 2 wheels. Just different fun. The key is to RELAX, RELAX, RELAX! The smallest input to the handlebars will give an equal, and instant reaction. Much different that the delayed and subdued reaction to handlebar input on 2 wheels.

Take your time, check things out (as you are doing). Going to a Spyder isn't the step down that going from 2 wheels to 3 used to be. It's a step up to a whole new world of freedom, comfort, and enjoyment.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 04-02-2024 at 08:56 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Here is my experience with Can-am. I rode shotgun to Michigan behind my sister-in-law (2011 RT SM5) to pick up a 2016 RTL SE6. Grand Rapids during rush hour was a trip. Did a turn and burn and felt comfortable from the beginning other than I was hunting for turn signals and dimmer switch. Even did about 2 hours of night riding looking for lodging in bear crossing country the first night! Took the scenic route back and stayed away from Grand Rapids. While I ride it much more aggressively now I definitely did not slow down the other 2 bikes I was with. I never even tried my sister-in-law's Can-Am. I did have my learners permit but only to ride my brother's Sportster to join in the fun. I have not regretted the purchase for one day. The wife and I love it but I love it more!
    2016 Spyder RTL SE6

Spyder Garage

This is excellent information. I visited their website and they have brand new 2022 f3T's on there for 17.3K. Still a lot of money to get my feet wet, but it's a very good price or at least seems so to me. It would be worth the trip to get the deal. I also found a 2014 with about 18K miles for about 8750.00. Here's a link to the listing in Marketplace: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/265879629908642
    Here's the FT3-T I mentioned before:https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...e-d537ea38710f

Hope the links work.

Spyder Garage

Such wonderful information. I signed up for a Can Am riding class on the 25th and 26th of April. I think it will give me some good experience in a positive learning environment. I already have a Motorcycle endorsement on my license. Still, I think it will be a good experience for me. I've also learned that it's not a good idea to buy a 2013 model due to the heat issues. If I were to get serious about an older bike, it will become imperative for me to make sure there's a shop around here that will work on it. I think I probably could get along with a 998 rig, but I just don't want to have to do all the work on it. There was a time when I never took anything to the shop, but not anymore.

Spyder Garage

Such wonderful information. I signed up for a Can Am riding class on the 25th and 26th of April. I think it will give me some good experience in a positive learning environment. I already have a Motorcycle endorsement on my license. Still, I think it will be a good experience for me. I've also learned that it's not a good idea to buy a 2013 model due to the heat issues. If I were to get serious about an older bike, it will become imperative for me to make sure there's a shop around here that will work on it. I think I probably could get along with a 998 rig, but I just don't want to have to do all the work on it. There was a time when I never took anything to the shop, but not anymore.

Yeah. Hopefully, they have more than Rykers so you can experience multiple machines. It is a controlled course. So, you won't be getting in high speed street rides, but you can at least get the basics of operating the machine.

I still suggest trying to ride the Spyder models during the Can Am Experience if you can wait that long.

As far as the 2 Spyders from FB, I wouldn't go with the 2014 b\c as others mentioned the potential for needing maintenance without the ability of getting it done. However, price sounds like a huge part of your decision. So, as BajaRon mentioned, there's nothing wrong with going older to get your feet wet(and saving some coin). If you hate the machine, you can always hopefully sell it to someone else. If you love it, maybe you can sell\trade it towards something more modern when ready.

I don't think you'd be too disappointed with either approach. Keep doing your homework. You'll find what you're looking for.
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic