Spyder Garage

Default First Rally (Hot Springs) - advice?

We (my backseat, girlfriend) have booked the Hot Springs Spyder Rally May 16-18!

This will be our first rally of any kind. This will be only our second ride over 4 hours straight, but many 1-2 hours. We have approx 3k miles on the bike already though.

I think we have all the gear and emergency roadside repair stuff.

We've booked the host hotel for the rally weekend, and plan to leave Dallas 7:00 AM, arriving around 1:00-2:00pm, depending on stops, on Thursday. Leaving on Sunday to head back.

What are the "pro tips" that we need to know? Things to do? Things to avoid? (If it helps, we are in our 40's [her] and 50's [me].)

Also, feel free to reply or DM if you want to ride out together... but be advised we've only ridden solo so far, no group experience.
    2019 Spyder RT Ltd. Bought in Jan 2024. Can-Am states only.

Spyder Garage

Admins - I just noticed the "Rides and Events" forum... this should probably be moved.

Spyder Garage

What you will find is a whole lot of friendly Spyder riders, setting around BS'ing, out on one of many rides (alone or in groups), eating or in the vendor area getting the latest farkles, etc. Join in and enjoy yourselves.

Look me up, I will be glad to ride with you.
    Last edited by EdMat; 04-01-2024 at 11:51 AM.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

I couldn't get down there until June, so I can't ride with you. Research the rides, there are a ton of them in that area and surrounding. This will be our second visit to Arkansas, the riding is beautiful there.

When we went to Deadwood rally, it was more about the rides for us than the rally, though we did have fun at the rally site. Look up SpyderPops - he has a shop near Hot Springs. I am scheduled in there during our visit.

Be open to meeting new people, you will find a lot of like-minded folks to meet and talk with. Enjoy yourselves!
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Allen42 View Post
    Admins - I just noticed the "Rides and Events" forum... this should probably be moved.
    moved to Spyder Rydes and Events.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Advice: Bring lots of money for when you visit the vendor village.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jesster72 View Post
    I couldn't get down there until June, so I can't ride with you. Research the rides, there are a ton of them in that area and surrounding. This will be our second visit to Arkansas, the riding is beautiful there.

When we went to Deadwood rally, it was more about the rides for us than the rally, though we did have fun at the rally site. Look up SpyderPops - he has a shop near Hot Springs. I am scheduled in there during our visit.

Be open to meeting new people, you will find a lot of like-minded folks to meet and talk with. Enjoy yourselves!
    I see that some shops do on-site work at these rallies. I wonder if I could have some LED headlights and foglights installed while there? Would love to have BajaRon work on it. (I owe him for all his help on here.)

Spyder Garage

moved to Spyder Rydes and Events.
    Thank you!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Allen42 View Post
    I see that some shops do on-site work at these rallies. I wonder if I could have some LED headlights and foglights installed while there? Would love to have BajaRon work on it. (I owe him for all his help on here.)
    Call ahead and make arrangements with the shop involved. They like appointments for jobs that take a bit of time. There will still be a line at the vendor village, but you will have a place reserved.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

As far as the four hour ride goes just take breaks when you feel the need and don't push until you are uncomfortable. Wife and I have been doing this long travel stuff for 40+ years with many 700 to 800 mile days on two and three wheels. Now that we are both retired we don't push like that anymore, but a 500 mile day is easy for us. Frequent short breaks and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate, plenty of water even if you don't feel thirsty. We have snacks or a very small meal while on the road and save a bigger meal for when we get off the road for the day. That is just more comfortable for us. I don't carry spare parts or a bunch of tools anymore. Credit card and a cell phone and have never needed those. What I have needed was a tire repair kit. I make my own because I don't much care for the pre setup stuff. I carry the rope plugs with the tools to install them and a small 12v air compressor. Some like the rubber plugs, but I have had them fail twice over the years and will never use them again. I have never had an ugly rope plug let me down. Enjoy the ride, take back roads if possible, your not going to see America on a stupid freeway, relax and smell the roses.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    As far as the four hour ride goes just take breaks when you feel the need and don't push until you are uncomfortable. Wife and I have been doing this long travel stuff for 40+ years with many 700 to 800 mile days on two and three wheels. Now that we are both retired we don't push like that anymore, but a 500 mile day is easy for us. Frequent short breaks and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate, plenty of water even if you don't feel thirsty. We have snacks or a very small meal while on the road and save a bigger meal for when we get off the road for the day. That is just more comfortable for us. I don't carry spare parts or a bunch of tools anymore. Credit card and a cell phone and have never needed those. What I have needed was a tire repair kit. I make my own because I don't much care for the pre setup stuff. I carry the rope plugs with the tools to install them and a small 12v air compressor. Some like the rubber plugs, but I have had them fail twice over the years and will never use them again. I have never had an ugly rope plug let me down. Enjoy the ride, take back roads if possible, your not going to see America on a stupid freeway, relax and smell the roses.
    Good stuff, thank you! I have front and rear cupholders with water. As far as "emergency gear", that basically means a tire patch/plug kit, little compressor, and the BRP toolkit. Also have some rain gear, sunscreen, and some windshield/visor cleaner and rags, and spare battery pack for the phones.

Spyder Garage

Don't forget patience and a positive mind/attitude. You never know what you will encounter while riding that can bring down the mood (other drivers, traffic, bad road conditions, weather, etc.) So, just enjoy the moment. Take stops as you need to. No reason to beat yourself down to make it to the destination and not be able to enjoy it or the ride back.
    As mentioned, snacks, and hydration. Water is good, but something with electrolytes is a plus. I don't know the temperature, but if it will be warm, maybe carry a cooling towel as well. The last thing, is a small med kit of some sort for insect bites, allergic reactions, or bad gas station roller dogs
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-02-2024 at 12:41 AM.
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

Know your limits, don’t “test” them.

It wouldn’t hurt to attempt a preview trip. Hot Springs has plenty of casual amenities for weekend tourists & such. Will help to get an idea of road conditions & Arkansas ZERO tolerance for speeding!

At the event itself **TRY** to not get overwhelmed. Look at the event list & pick your highlights. Already mentioned about getting work done - appointments help; guided trips are fun; so is just roaming - there's sooo much to see. (GPS - pin points help get you back &/or return trips). Pm sent.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-02-2024 at 02:42 AM.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Thanks Guys. BajaRon said he may attend but probably won't be vending, so I'll set up an appointment with SpyderPops. Thinking of getting new headlights, foglights, and probably the Ultimate sway bar. I wrote the event mailbox, and they said they would post a schedule on FB soon. I didn't even know what a poker run was... those sound fun!

Bfromla, I'll text ya later.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-02-2024 at 07:54 AM.