Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Finally, I fixed the Seat release on my RT! Video

I finally took the time to fix the seat release on my RT.
    The original wire from the key to the seat had rusted/corroded and was totally stuck, so I have been riding a cpl seasons with the lock bolt removed from underneath the seat.
    Never had anyone try steal gasoline, but I like to have the option to leave the helmet on the bike with seat locked. Now I can do that again

Here is a video of what I did. (pardon my English)

Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-27-2024 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly state the reason for this thread! ;-)
    Brgds Martin

First Spyder: RS 2008 Yellow&Black - Current: 2012 Spyder RTS Magnesium, bought new from dealer in 2015.

Spyder Garage

Great job. I like the placement.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sweet!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    Great job. I like the placement.
    Thank you. Thought it was best to have it hidden, but easy to reach.
    Brgds Martin

First Spyder: RS 2008 Yellow&Black - Current: 2012 Spyder RTS Magnesium, bought new from dealer in 2015.

Spyder Garage

Very well thought out!

2019 RTL
    2019 RTL , Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NorwegianRT View Post
    I finaly took the time to fix the seatrelease on my RT.
    The original wire from the key to the seat had rusted/corroded and was totally stuck, so I have been riding a cpl seasons with the lock bolt removed from underneath the seat.
    Never had anyone try steal gasoline, but I like to have the option to leave the helmet on the bike with seat locked. Now I can do that again

Here is a video of what I did. (pardon my English)

Welcome to the Manual SEAT RELEASE Club ....I did mine about 8-9 years ago ..... also made one for the FRUNK ..... having those connected to the Ignition switch was a dumb idea ..... nice work ....Mike

Spyder Garage

Vey elegant solution. And your English is just fine. Thank you for the video as well.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

we travel a lot so we out a zip tie around latch to keep it open makes for easier fueling

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Welcome to the Manual SEAT RELEASE Club ....I did mine about 8-9 years ago ..... also made one for the FRUNK ..... having those connected to the Ignition switch was a dumb idea ..... nice work ....Mike
    Thank you Blueknight
    The Frunk is still working fine, but I think I will make a plan for one over the Easter. The sooner the better
    Brgds Martin

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Vey elegant solution. And your English is just fine. Thank you for the video as well.
    Hi and thank you Pegasus, you are too kind Hope others will find it usefull.
    Brgds Martin

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    we travel a lot so we out a zip tie around latch to keep it open makes for easier fueling
    Hi there Fatboy !
    We have had it ziptied for two seasons allso and it was covenient, but when packed for trips it will be nice to not have to carry the helmet around all the time.
    Brgds Martin

Spyder Garage

Thank you Blueknight
    The Frunk is still working fine, but I think I will make a plan for one over the Easter. The sooner the better
    You could do the same thing for the frunk except bring it in the other side. Routed mine so it's under the seat.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    You could do the same thing for the frunk except bring it in the other side. Routed mine so it's under the seat.
    Good idea Ed, there is room for another "handle" in the glovebox !
    Brgds Martin

Spyder Garage

When I put my Hartco seat on the 2012 RTL i couldn't get the seat post adjusted just right at first. Since I was afraid I would break the ignition actuated release because it was now so stiff I put a cable release on it that came out by the front of the seat on the right side. I worked well until I finally got the seat post adjusted right. Since my Spyder has a button release for the frunk I don't worry about it. My key release for both the seat and the frunk still works just fine and I use it regularly. The pull cable now is for emergencies.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

When I put my Hartco seat on the 2012 RTL i couldn't get the seat post adjusted just right at first. Since I was afraid I would break the ignition actuated release because it was now so stiff I put a cable release on it that came out by the front of the seat on the right side. I worked well until I finally got the seat post adjusted right. Since my Spyder has a button release for the frunk I don't worry about it. My key release for both the seat and the frunk still works just fine and I use it regularly. The pull cable now is for emergencies.
    Glad yours still works great.
    I have the button for the frunk, but I reckon that is all. I can not recall seeing any sort of electric gadget near the frunk latch. Is it just a solenoid magnet that pulls the cable ?
    Brgds Martin

Spyder Garage

Very clever, Norwegian, great solution.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Very clever, Norwegian, great solution.

Pete
    Well thank you Pete
    Brgds Martin

Spyder Garage

Plus 1....thanks for sharing your clever remedy!
    Last edited by BamaJohn; 03-28-2024 at 07:03 AM.
    John B.
    Current ride: 2020 Spyder RT-s Petrol Metallic Blue dark with OEM top case

Spyder Garage

That's a great idea, something I have to address soon on my bike. I replaced the cable on mine once already, and said I would never do it again, putting that cable into the key switch was a challenge if you don't know how to take the switch out first!!! Ask me how I know that!! Bandages are optional.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    That's a great idea, something I have to address soon on my bike. I replaced the cable on mine once already, and said I would never do it again, putting that cable into the key switch was a challenge if you don't know how to take the switch out first!!! Ask me how I know that!! Bandages are optional.
    I was wondering if I should replace my cable with a new one, but after reading about how mutch hassle to get there, I will not bother.
    Brgds Martin

Spyder Garage

I was wondering if I should replace my cable with a new one, but after reading about how mutch hassle to get there, I will not bother.
    Well my foreign friend.... another clever idea!! After the fantastic 3d printed trunk holder I really didn't expect another innovation from you! I've had 4 in total trunk supports printed in the last few years ... 3 for me and one giveaway. I will now attempt this current seat revision but hopefully just replacing the spring will do the trick for my current situation. I hate to wish any issues on your RT, but it seems you're adept at coming up with great solutions!! Thank you!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-07-2024 at 02:08 PM.
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by davev1pa View Post
    Well my foreign friend.... another clever idea!! After the fantastic 3d printed trunk holder I really didn't expect another innovation from you! I've had 4 in total trunk supports printed in the last few years ... 3 for me and one giveaway. I will now attempt this current seat revision but hopefully just replacing the spring will do the trick for my current situation. I hate to wish any issues on your RT, but it seems you're adept at coming up with great solutions!! Thank you!!
    Hi again my friend and thank you for the kind words.
    Glad your trunk lid holders are put to good use and that others also can benefit
    Tomorrow (Monday) I will take the RT to my local dealer and collect the new seat strut, the old one holds nothing anymore and that is no fun when fueling. But I made a 3D print for that as well

Hope life finds you good and wish you a great season with lots of great rides. And you are quite welcome sir.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-07-2024 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)
    Brgds Martin

Spyder Garage

Btw, this was my weak strut 3D fix.
    A "halfpipe" that clips on the piston when it is fully extended. When not in use, it just lay under the seat.
    Strut fix 3D print.jpg
    Brgds Martin

Spyder Garage

Martin, Excellent modification to correct a common issue! Nicely done, and no apologies necessary, your English is way better than most of our Norwegian.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Martin, Excellent modification to correct a common issue! Nicely done, and no apologies necessary, your English is way better than most of our Norwegian.
    Thank you DGoebel, glad you liked it
    Brgds Martin