Spyder Garage

Question Do Waterless Washes work, or scratch the paint? eg. Buglside, etc.

The whole concept of waterless wash scares me.

It seems very unlikely that you aren't wiping dirt and other contaminates across the paint, causing anything from micro scratching to actual scratches.

Personally, if I were to start using bugslide or something similar, I think I would do a wash first to remove all the surface crap.

Someone educate me, please.
    2019 Spyder RT Ltd. Bought in Jan 2024. Can-Am states only.

Spyder Garage

I have a bottle but have never used it for the same reason you state.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Allen42 View Post

It seems very unlikely that you aren't wiping dirt and other contaminates across the paint, causing anything from micro scratching to actual scratches.

Personally, if I were to start using bugslide or something similar, I think I would do a wash first to remove all the surface crap.

You are correct. If you've been off-roading on your Spyder, then yes, you need to hose it down with water to wash all the mud and grime off.

The waterless cleaners are there for light duty cleaning. Watermarks from rain, light dust and bugs are the principal targets. Also, some of these cleaners leave a residue on the surface which makes it less likely to have subsequent dirt stick. This is particularly helpful for the windshield. Once coated, bugs are less likely to stick.
    Of course, the windshield gets a whole procedure itself.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I agree with the scratch part on the paint surfaces.

Here is a possible solution. All you need is a dryer sheet, a spray bottle, and fill with water. Put the dryer sheet in the bottle, fill with water, and you are ready to go. Spray the bike, a small section at a time. Wipe with a microfiber cloth. The results will amaze you.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Waterless is all the rage right now. I say hogwash (see what I did there). Anyway, just wash your Spyder like you have always washed everything else. On top of that today's paints are so soft they scratch much easier than in the past. The Spyder has incredibly soft paint. Don't leave bugs on there for long. They will etch right into the paint. Of course a ceramic coating will prevent this in the first place. Good luck with your decision.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

After a long trip, nothing can replace a good cleaning with soap and water. But after short trips, when you have just a few bugs to deal with. I have been using Bike Spirits Cleaner and Polish. I have been using this for years.

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Spir...1021686&sr=8-2

Forgot to mention that I have a good coat of Turtle Wax/Polish on it. I debated on going with a Ceramic but I have never used it. I have been using Turtle Wax on all my bikes forever and have always had great results.
    Last edited by Kromm; 03-22-2024 at 07:18 AM. Reason: update
    2022 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic

Spyder Garage

I live in an apartment and access to washing by hand is limited. I have been using Maguires Ultimate Waterless Wash and Wax for several years and have great results.
    First, I use a feather duster to get the light dust, then a swifter duster cloth or 2, then the waterless wash. I apply the wash fairly heavily, to a section at a time, wipe with a microfiber cloth, then buff with another microfiber cloth. When the first one is saturated I use the buffer as to apply the wash then a dry cloth to continue. I use it on my entire Spyder, except for the windshield. After I use the wash, I wipe down all the black with Maguires Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer Cloth. I've gotten many complements on how she shines and the black looks new.
    2023-10-28 At the beach.jpg
    Current: 2022 RTL SE6 Red Marsala and 2012 622 Trailer Lava Bronze,
    Previous: 2014 RTL SE6 Black Currant - 58,746 miles,
    2012 RTL SE5 Lava Bronze - 19,675 miles

Spyder Garage

Can Am paint is so soft that if you roll your eyes at it, you will leave swirl marks...

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Can Am paint is so soft that if you roll your eyes at it, you will leave swirl marks...
    It's like they forgot the seal coat, Which I believe they did!
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

I've been using Griot's Spray-On CarWash since its inception. Part of our family business is auto/boat detailing.
    Look for a product with high lubricity.
    That stated, these products are not for really dirty substrates.
    Dusty to very dusty, yes but not loads of grit, grime and mud.
    Lay down a good polish (not wax) like a ceramic (hydrophobic coating) and then you can use the spray-on carwash in-between your major washes.
    I carry a bottle of spray-on car wash on my trips and tend to use it on long rides every few days. (user discretion advised)

Addenda: Yes, Can-Am paint is what some people call, "soft" i.e. easily scratches.
    I am assuming it is a single component (acrylic) paint verses a two part (urethane) basecoat/clearcoat process which is much more resilient to minor abrasion.
    Last edited by BoatFixx; 03-21-2024 at 10:11 AM.

Spyder Garage

Similar to BoatFixx, I wash mine the regular way before putting a Meguiars ceramic coat on it, then use a Meguiars ceramic waterless on it until it is time to re coat in say 6 months. (Unless the RT is particularly grubby following a long trip.) I have seen zero adverse effects on the paint.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

HI Allen 42,

I use the following product( on my 2023 F3 LTD Special Series, it has a matte finish) https://www.chemicalguys.com/product...y-wipe-formula

It has the following features: Hydrophobic Technology, Synthetic Gloss Enhancers.

Chemical Guys Swift Wipe Waterless Car Wash is the next generation Waterless detailing system. In on step, Swift Wipe cleans, shines, and protects without installing any swirls or scratches. Swift wipe simply sprays on, then wipes off. The waterless system finishes with a coat of optical spray sealant to enhance shine with durable protection.

I use the above on my windshield and the bug spats come off my bike.

The Waterless Car Wash is a easy spray and wipe solution Wash your whole car/bike without water, cleans,shines, and protects.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

I use Meguiar's Waterless wash, works well.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-22-2024 at 07:04 AM. Reason: washworks ... ;-)

Spyder Garage

I also like Aero Cosmetics Wash Wax All.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002N3RQYA...v_ov_lig_dp_it

It was developed for airplanes and seems to work really well.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    Waterless is all the rage right now. I say hogwash (see what I did there). Anyway, just wash your Spyder like you have always washed everything else. On top of that today's paints are so soft they scratch much easier than in the past. The Spyder has incredibly soft paint. Don't leave bugs on there for long. They will etch right into the paint. Of course a ceramic coating will prevent this in the first place. Good luck with your decision.
    kinda agree. **kinda** did get some of the fast wax681C6124-B200-4340-A439-B9DAD043550A.jpeg
    & is good, especially when out on a trip & just wanna get some grime & bugs/pollen ~rain spots off(any elbow grease helps most anyway) least don’t have to try find an available/ free /friendly water spigot. Can do just about anywhere carry a can & some rags does fine. **note LIGHT grime, heavy stuff still waits till home & more dedicated cleaning **

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just use rain-x car wash, If I'm not in a hurry I wax it with Meguiars Cleaner paste wax. If i'm in a hurry I use the Turtle wax spray on Graphene based wax.
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 03-24-2024 at 04:22 PM.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

This stuff is crazy good. And inexpensive. Tom

I also like Aero Cosmetics Wash Wax All.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002N3RQYA...v_ov_lig_dp_it

It was developed for airplanes and seems to work really well.
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

I always wipe down with a duster or do a clear water rinse before "waterless washes"; keep a good coat of ceramic; and the light gook with come right off.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-25-2024 at 07:12 AM. Reason: .?.

Spyder Garage

-nevermind, please delete this post-
    Last edited by Allen42; 03-25-2024 at 03:13 PM.

Spyder Garage

-nevermind, please delete-
    No, the mods won’t do that, Allen. Apart from affecting FB algorithms, there is a lot of useful info in here that someone may be looking for via a search at a later date. It is here to stay.

Pere
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    No, the mods won’t do that, Allen. Apart from affecting FB algorithms, there is a lot of useful info in here that someone may be looking for via a search at a later date. It is here to stay.

Pere
    I just meant delete that post only. I edited it to say that, as it wasn't relevant.

Spyder Garage

-nevermind, please delete this post-
    I can delete (well, hide anyway! ) your post Allen, the one quoted above, #19 (If you want me to, then please PM me) but doing that will not delete or hide the whole thread!

Just to explain further, this is because, as Peteoz mentions, there's a lot of good info here that may well help others, if not now or soon, then maybe at some time in the (far??) future (this is one of the main benefits of Fora like this - they are much more 'searchable' than most other forms of social media, so nothing in the way of the shared knowledge or experience posted here is ever truly 'lost'! ); and deleting threads &/or too many posts seriously impacts the way the big search engines treat this Forum in their displayed search results - too many deletions means that we get dropped down or even completely off their displayed results! That means our sponsors get less or no return on their investment here, so there's significantly reduced benefit to them continuing sponsoring, and less/no sponsorship threatens the continued operation of the Forum.

This seriously threatened the Forum's continued operation not too far back in the past, and despite asking members not to delete things needlessly, such deletions continued at a serious rate, so now YOU as a Registered Member no longer have the delete facility, and WE (the Mods) tend to simply hide posts &/or threads only when necessary; and actually delete either only in exceptional circumstances!

Besides, unless you delete something immediately after posting, and often even then, there is every likelihood that it's already been crawled & copied by the big search engines so there's a record of it available if the operator knows how to search for it properly; which means that if you don't want whatever you want to go down in history and remain as part of the public record on the internet FOREVER, then you'd better not post it in the first place or at all, cos once you do post it, it's out there forever!

Just Sayin'!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-25-2024 at 11:52 PM. Reason: ohyes ... :-/
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    I can delete (well, hide anyway! ) your post Allen, the one quoted above, #19 (If you want me to, then please PM me) but doing that will not delete or hide the whole thread!

Just to explain further, this is because, as Peteoz mentions, there's a lot of good info here that may well help others, if not now or soon, then maybe at some time in the (far??) future (this is one of the main benefits of Fora like this - they are much more 'searchable' than most other forms of social media, so nothing in the way of the shared knowledge or experience posted here is ever truly 'lost'! ); and deleting threads &/or too many posts seriously impacts the way the big search engines treat this Forum in their displayed search results - too many deletions means that we get dropped down or even completely off their displayed results! That means our sponsors get less or no return on their investment here, so there's significantly reduced benefit to them continuing sponsoring, and less/no sponsorship threatens the continued operation of the Forum.

This seriously threatened the Forum's continued operation not too far back in the past, and despite asking members not to delete things needlessly, such deletions continued at a serious rate, so now YOU as a Registered Member no longer have the delete facility, and WE (the Mods) tend to simply hide posts &/or threads only when necessary; and actually delete either only in exceptional circumstances!

Besides, unless you delete something immediately after posting, and often even then, there is every likelihood that it's already been crawled & copied by the big search engines so there's a record of it available if the operator knows how to search for it properly; which means that if you don't want whatever you want to go down in history and remain as part of the public record on the internet FOREVER, then you'd better not post it in the first place or at all, cos once you do post it, it's out there forever!

Just Sayin'!!

Well now it doesn’t much matter. I was just trying to have someone clean up my irrelevant post, not the whole thread. But between these last two replies, I think it makes sense to leave it all as is now. There’s good stuff in your replies!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-25-2024 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)