Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default What GPS are you using?

Hi, I currently am using an old Tom-Tom that came with the Spyder I bought. I would like to upgrade and would like to know what GPS others are using. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

I'm using the Garmin XT. I'm seriously thinking of upgrading to the XT2.
    It's bigger, brighter and faster.
    If you are upgrading from the TomTom, definitely go for the XT2.
    I'm not sure if it's worth upgrading from the XT to the XT2.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I have an XT. It took a little getting used to but the motorcycle specific features are very good.

My Mods:
    Elka Stage 5 rear shock with spring preload adjust
    Monster Stage 2 ECU
    Pedal Commander
    RLS cat delete
    Baja Ron sway bar
    Baker Air Wings upper and lower
    Viking saddle bags
    Third pegs
    Vredestein tires front and rear
    Mad Stad windshield
    X-creen windshield deflector
    Front and rear drive cam
    Garmin Zumo XT
    Heated gear wiring
    Lamonster LED headlights
    Lamonster LED foglights
    Lamonster frame mount cupholder
    BRP heated handgrips
    Lamonster drivers backrest
    BRP passenger backrest
    Lidlock handlebar end helmet locks
    Barkbusters Storm handguards
    2020 F3S-SS , Titanium/Black

Spyder Garage

I'm also pondering a switch from the Zumo XT > Zumo XT2. Then I'd need to buy the new locking case

https://blog.touratech-usa.com/2023/...-a-comparison/

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I use the Garmin DriveSmart™ 55 with a Garmin backup camera. It's on a Ram mount using one of the handlebar bolts. Works for me and less expensive than the cycle specific models.

Spyder Garage

I'm using a Zumo 590.
    2023 Ryker Rally - Heritage White III
    Sport Windshield
    GPS Holder

Spyder Garage

I use plastic Jiffy Store state maps and a magnetic compass, same as I have always used.

Never really been lost, and have rode all over the this country and several other countries as well.

Mostly I just go by the idea that you can't get lost if you don't care where you are going.

Have had to do a 180 and go back a few times, but that has also happened when I was riding behind someone with a GPS too.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    I use plastic Jiffy Store state maps and a magnetic compass, same as I have always used.

Never really been lost, and have rode all over the this country and several other countries as well.

Mostly I just go by the idea that you can't get lost if you don't care where you are going.

Have had to do a 180 and go back a few times, but that has also happened when I was riding behind someone with a GPS too.
    For a while, I used to run 4WD Tours & Expeditions into all sorts of (stupid??) places, and one of the first things I told each set of people who were game enough to follow me was this:

"If I haven't had to turn around AT LEAST Three times on any given day, then we haven't really been exploring!"

And while I do like (& use - pretty much ALL the time! ) my Garmin GPS &/or Hema Explorer, I too also STILL carry & regularly use paper maps & a compass!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Zumo XT, don't leave home without it.
    Lee B
    2022 Can Am RT Limited
    2021 Honda NC750X DCT

Spyder Garage

A couple years ago I bought the Zumo 396 from these guys for $250 or $300. I'm frugal... it was good enough then and still is. I also bought the cheapest Sena headset for my helmet ($80) for in the helmet directions from it, invaluable when traveling in a large city while on the busy freeway looking for that motel room you reserved.

https://www.thegpsstore.com/GPS-Unit...torcycle-Units

Spyder Garage

I use a Garmin Zumo XT. Much of my driving is out in the boon-docks without cell service, yet the satellites show me were I am located.

Spyder Garage

Any Zumo 590/595/XT/XT2 that you're willing to spend for. They all have lifetime map updates.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post

I use the Manual Acquisition Positioning System
    Besides as long as you have 1/2 a tank of fuel, you are not lost
    Found a lot of interesting places using this system.

Spyder Garage

Garmin Zumo XT
    2022 Spyder RT Ltd Petrol Metallic

Spyder Garage

I bought a TomTom Rider 550. I like it but it took a rather long learning curve compared to my old ones. And, because I do not use it often, I have to re-learn. I did however, buy another TomTom for my truck to so that helps me remember stuff. I do not use GPS much anyway. Screens are bigger than the old ones I had too. Ram mount on the F3 bars and it is where I can see it well. Bluetoothed to my sena.
    2021 F3 Limited. 2013 RT Limited.

Spyder Garage

The Garmin 660 that came with my 2012 RTL and a set of paper maps. Whenever I cross a state line I stop at the 1st tourist information stand and pick up a new map for that state. If I don't have a map for a state I want to plan a trip in I write to the state tourist bureau and they send me a free one along with all kinds of information, many times motorcycle specific. I find that once I have a route planned on My Route App I can download it to the Garmin. Sometimes I even stick to the routes I plan.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

6AF52513-4386-441F-BC03-3E85FFEF17F1.jpg 173D6936-7294-4635-B32B-C239FCB4B7AF.jpeg

Zumo 660 that came with Spyder Limited's from the BRP factory. On occasions, I have had to double check with google on my phone. (At least it's easier to zoom & find structures or other possible paths & landmarks-satellite view. )
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-23-2024 at 02:18 AM.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Zumo xt
    2020 F3 base, cruise control, pedal commander
    Lamonster led headlights and fog lights
    Bikemaster heated grips
    F4 windshield,Shad side bags
    Quick detach rear rack,Baja Ron swaybar

Spyder Garage

Also using a Zumo XT with power wired via the accessory line. As others have said, if you have an XT, I feel it’s hard to justify an upgrade to the XT2 but if you don’t have a Garmin at all then the XT2 would be the better choice.

Spyder Garage

I just use my phone blue toothed to the Spyder. Pipe it through the bikes speakers.. My wife also has her phone running a different program so we have two systems running for best route. Also have an old Garmin with lifetime maps around somewhere. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

I'm likely going to pull the trigger on a Zumo XT2/Touratech mount later this week. If so, I'll have a Zumo XT/Touratech Zumo XT mount to sell in a couple of weeks...

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Am I the only one that uses CarPlay and my phone? I mostly use scenic but can run anything.
    2012 RSS
    2022 RT Limited
    2021 Ryker 600
    2021 600 , Black/Yellow

Spyder Garage

I just use my iPhone and Google maps. I find it works great and always gets me where I'm going. Is there a benefit for using a standalone GPS system?

I can listen to my music and GPS through the Can Am (so I can use the handlebar controls to adjust volume and change songs) and helmet Bluetooth system.

We had a nice ride yesterday and after we came out from having lunch it was raining a bit, and on the 30-mile ride home, we hit some pretty good rainfall. As we were getting drenched, I looked down and saw my phone on the mount with rain all over it, my initial thought this is not good, but then I remembered it's water resistant and rain will not hurt it at all.

I even use my iPhone and CarPlay in my car that has a really nice built-in GPS, it's just easy, and it works.

I have never really understood the stand along GPS thing and am generally curious about the benefits, maybe I need one and just don't know it?

Thanks,
    James
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-25-2024 at 07:44 AM.

Spyder Garage

I used to use my iPhone on my previous 2-wheeled motorcycles but on the Can-Am I was looking for a cleaner option. I didn’t want to go with a phone mount on bars or anything so I decided to use the Garmin XT I used on my electric motorcycle (Energica Ribelle). I find the Garmin easier to use with a gloved hand than my iPhone plus the mount for the Garmin feels more secure than a RAM mount for my iPhone. In addition, it just frees up my phone on longer trips to act solely as my music source and emergency phone calls. It also allows me to keep my phone in the trunk if I need to keep it charged up, the Bluetooth signal strength is fine with the phone in the trunk.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JamesLaz View Post
    I just use my iPhone and Google maps. I find it works great and always gets me where I'm going. Is there a benefit for using a standalone GPS system?

I can listen to my music and GPS through the Can Am (so I can use the handlebar controls to adjust volume and change songs) and helmet Bluetooth system.

We had a nice ride yesterday and after we came out from having lunch it was raining a bit, and on the 30-mile ride home, we hit some pretty good rainfall. As we were getting drenched, I looked down and saw my phone on the mount with rain all over it, my initial thought this is not good, but then I remembered it's water resistant and rain will not hurt it at all.

I even use my iPhone and CarPlay in my car that has a really nice built-in GPS, it's just easy, and it works.

I have never really understood the stand along GPS thing and am generally curious about the benefits, maybe I need one and just don't know it?

Thanks,
    James
    The benefits of using a stand-alone GPS are the ability to create your own routes. If all you do is ride directly to your destination, you don't need a GPS. But if you want to shape your journey to include twisty or off-the-main roads, you'll need either a stand-alone or a phone app.

Another plus for GPS is it won't shake itself to death or overheat like phones do.

There are other pluses but those are the main reasons to consider a GPS.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White