Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Found Helmets cheaper in Germany; delivered to Arizona in 3 days!

I had been looking for some modular helmets for my wife and I. We have half helmets but I wanted some better coverage for longer trips.

I had an LS2 Valiant a while back but sold it with my last two-wheeler that I really liked. I found the newer version, the LS2 Advant, and we went to a local shop and tried them on.

The shop had them for $399 each; I found them on Amazon for $369 each; and from LS2 direct they are $369.98 each. I was looking on-line for a seller and found a site for FC Moto in a motor sports store in Germany. I didn't realize I was on a German site as everything was in English with US dollars shown. They had them for as little as $235.64 each, and the helmets we got were $253.60 each; I was not too sure about this price as their site states that you may be charged extra for taxes or tariff's once the product reaches your country.

I read as many reviews as I could, then took the chance and ordered them. I should add, this was on Wednesday and my wife's birthday was Friday of the same week, and I wanted to give her the new helmet for her birthday. Imagine my surprise when shipping for both from Germany to Gilbert, AZ was only about $55, and the helmets were in my hands by noon on Friday - in time for her birthday. I was still waiting for any extra charges but there were none at all.

I am very happy with our purchase and would happily order from them again. I came on here to see if anyone had ever ordered from them but nothing came up in my search so I thought I would post my experience for anyone who may be in the same situation.

I would very much recommend physically trying on the helmet locally first as I imagine returns would be complicated, even though they did send me the required forms for a return if needed.

Thanks,
    James
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-19-2024 at 01:57 PM.

Spyder Garage

Good info James, I placed an order for the LS2 - Advant X Modular Helmet here in Canada and paid almost twice what you did (CAD$). I am not sure they are the same helmet and mine hasn't been shipped yet. When it arrives, I will post a few pics and my opinion on it.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-19-2024 at 01:59 PM.

Spyder Garage

Nice I ordered my Schuberth C5 from them, same experience
    Improvise, Adapt, Overcome, Semper Fi
    2020 RT
    Limited heated seats
    removable back rest & rack
    XK Glow light
    Paint with light painted panels
    (Gone but not forgotten ) 2009 RS SE5
    2020 RT , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I ordered my helmet from ChromeBurner Motorgear in The Netherlands. I couldn't believe how fast the shipping was. I placed the order on Wednesday morning and received my helmet on Friday. The only problem I had was that my credit card company kept blocking international use, but I discovered ChromeBurner had a listing on Ebay at the same price.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-19-2024 at 02:00 PM.
    2015 F3-S , Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AndysF3S View Post
    Good info James, I placed an order for the LS2 - Advant X Modular Helmet here in Canada and paid almost twice what you did (Cdn$). I am not sure they are the same helmet and mine hasn't been shipped yet. When it arrives I will post a few pics and my opinion on it.
    Hi Andy - that European version has a different approval than DOT, not sure if more stringent.
    2019 F3 base
    Shad saddlebags with Admore led light kit
    BajaRon swaybar
    Hopnel mini bra
    BRP driver's backrest
    Madstad windshield
    Ultimate floorboards
    CanAm Spyder accessories rear shelf with LinQ adapter

Spyder Garage

I priced a Schuberth C5, plus the SC2 comms, on FC Moto, and the delivered price was about $80 more than local price, and that did not account for any duties or taxes. Another online retailer, MotardInn was over $100 more than local, excluding taxes and duties. I have bought from MotardInn before, but I think Schuberth has increased dealers in Canada.
    2019 F3 base
    Shad saddlebags with Admore led light kit
    BajaRon swaybar
    Hopnel mini bra
    BRP driver's backrest
    Madstad windshield
    Ultimate floorboards
    CanAm Spyder accessories rear shelf with LinQ adapter

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RickWB View Post
    Hi Andy - that European version has a different approval than DOT, not sure if more stringent.
    The European (ECE) requirements are more stringent than DOT, and in many expert reports, a better motorcycle standard than our Snell rating. Snell is more stringent than ECE. But more stringent is not necessarily a better gauge of function in a crash. The big difference in the Snell testing is that they require the helmet to protect the wearer from multiple strikes to the same spot on the helmet - something that is extremely rare in a motorcycle crash. This requires the helmet to be thicker, heavier, and more rigid than would otherwise be necessary. Being heavier can add to injury possibilities. And being more rigid can reduce shock absorption abilities.

So, why would Snell require a helmet pass a test that it is virtually never going to encounter in the real world? Because Snell has its roots in auto racing. When you are strapped into a car with roll bars and other fixed hard parts in close proximity, it is common to strike the same spot on a helmet multiple times in a crash. Experts have been trying for years to get Snell to drop this 'multiple impact to the same spot' from motorcycle helmet testing. But they never have.

Here is a great article on just about all you can know about helmet ratings. They don't breach the controversial subject above. And recommend Snell as the better of the two ratings (ECE & Snell) because of this extra step.

https://agvsport.com/blog/which-helm...rp-or-fim.html
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-19-2024 at 02:04 PM. Reason: ridged
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We also bought our helmets from ChromeBurner Motorgear in the Netherlands several years ago. It was fun to track them all the way here. We saved a lot of money buying 2 helmets. One of the differences between European and US testing is that Europe tests after manufacturing instead of during manufacturing as DOT does. This helps to eliminate a defective helmet from making it into the marketplace. Since we bought our helmets DOT's testing process may have changed.

Spyder Garage

It is really important to remember that only DOT-approved helmets are legal in the US. Even if your helmet meets the latest ECE 22.06 standard, it is not legal to wear in the US unless it also has DOT approval.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    We also bought our helmets from ChromeBurner Motorgear in the Netherlands several years ago. It was fun to track them all the way here. We saved a lot of money buying 2 helmets. One of the differences between European and US testing is that Europe tests after manufacturing instead of during manufacturing as DOT does. This helps to eliminate a defective helmet from making it into the marketplace. Since we bought our helmets DOT's testing process may have changed.
    DOT has the manufacturer do their own testing and verification. That's why they do it in house. An honest manufacturer makes a big difference with a DOT certified helmet.

Spyder Garage

I recently purchased a pair of modular helmets from Daytona helmets in Daytona beach FL. They came with a clear visor and pinlock installed on it. They also have a 2nd retractable sun visor built into the helmet. They don't flip clear back like the LS2 but for the money difference, they are comfortable and have the DOT sticker. They were under 175.00 each.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by honsfun View Post
    It is really important to remember that only DOT-approved helmets are legal in the US. Even if your helmet meets the latest ECE 22.06 standard, it is not legal to wear in the US unless it also has DOT approval.
    Not all states require that you wear a helmet. I've never heard of anyone being cited for having a non DOT certified helmet even if the state requires it.
    2015 F3-S , Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3Tyme View Post
    Not all states require that you wear a helmet. I've never heard of anyone being cited for having a non DOT certified helmet even if the state requires it.
    I think about the only enforcement in this regard is in the courtroom where someone is suing someone.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 03-19-2024 at 03:14 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I think about the only enforcement in this regard is in the courtroom where someone is suing someone. Check your motorcycle insurance. It may stipulate that you must be wearing a certified helmet to receive coverage in an accident.
    Good point. I wasn't thinking about the insurance side. But I think my CEC helmet provides much better protection than my DOT half helmet.

Apologizes to JamesLaz, we may have hijacked this thread
    2015 F3-S , Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3Tyme View Post
    My thoughts exactly! For many years I removed DOT stickers plus any others I didn't like to give my helmets a cleaner look. Never, ever got pulled over for a helmet inspection! I felt the stickers were more for advertising.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Motostorm IT has great helmet prices. That said, I know that HJC USA, Scorpion USA, and LS2 USA WILL NOT warranty any issues for their helmets purchased outside the USA. Just a bit of buyer beware information.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-19-2024 at 04:24 PM.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I didn't expect such a response but I'm glad it stared a conversation. All good information. That's what I like about this site, sharing of information so we all may know a bit more.

I did think about the DOT part of it, but the NHTSA website states that a helmet sold in US must be DOT approved. I can't find anything that states you must wear a DOT approved helmet. The helmets are ECE 22.05 certified witch is legal in the US from what I can find. I also believe the ECE 22.05 standard is more stringent the DOT standards.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/motorcycle-saf...safety-ratings

Thanks,
    James

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Motostorm IT has great helmet prices. That said, I know that HJC USA, Scorpion USA, and LS2 USA WILL NOT warranty any issues for their helmets purchased outside the USA. Just a bit of buyer beware information.
    This is pretty universal across all of the helmet manufactures that I am aware of. It's just to keep people from buying outside of their designated distribution sources. Arai goes so far as to name the same helmet something else in different geographic areas. Some of this has to do with marketing. But much of it, I think, is to discourage cross area sales.

Spyder Garage

This on the NHTSA site, which agrees with JamesLaz: While all motorcycle helmets sold in the United States are required to meet the federal standard and have the DOT certification label, there are online and brick-and-mortar retailers who sell what are known as “novelty helmets” that do not meet our safety standards. There are also fake DOT labels being sold to put on these unsafe helmets.

I then googled whether or not insurance companies require DOT approved helmets and found this: 'Insurance companies may take helmet usage into account when assessing claims. If a rider was not wearing a DOT-approved helmet and sustained injuries in an accident, their insurance coverage could be affected, leading to higher out-of-pocket expenses."

Since I live in NY I googled NYS law which returned: "Once you cross that state boundary into New York, though, every rider and passenger has to wear a DOT helmet regardless of age, training, or riding experience. Failure to comply with New York State law will get you a ticket."

So, while NHTSA requires helmets sold in the US to be DOT compliant, unless a state has a specific law about it, it is legal to wear a non-DOT helmet. In states that require the certification, your insurance company will require it as well (contacted GEICO for this information).
    Current: 2022 RTL SE6 Red Marsala and 2012 622 Trailer Lava Bronze,
    Previous: 2014 RTL SE6 Black Currant - 58,746 miles,
    2012 RTL SE5 Lava Bronze - 19,675 miles

Spyder Garage

I should add that these helmets meet the DOT requirements, they just don't have a DOT label as they were not sold here.

I also wonder has anyone ever had an officer check their helmet?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Like many other opinions, the ECE vs DOT issues will never be resolved on this site. Like 3Tyme mentioned, I've never heard of anyone anywhere ever being cited for wearing a non DOT helmet. The funniest thing I ever witnessed was a grubby biker wearing a beany helmet covered with a wig. Talked to him once and he said he'd been pulled over by the police more times than he could remember. I asked him if they'd ever ticketed him or got mad at him. He said no they were all pretty much good natured about it and once his joke got around none of them stopped him anymore.

Spyder Garage

I purchased a pair of Schuberth C4 Pro helmets and communication systems for my wife and I from FC Moto a couple years ago, I was very pleased with the price and speed of delivery. I couldn't find a C4 Pro ladies XS in stock anywhere in the US. FC Moto had exactly what I wanted in stock for much less than any other source I could find.
    2014 RT SE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

Like many other opinions, the ECE vs DOT issues will never be resolved on this site. Like 3Tyme mentioned, I've never heard of anyone anywhere ever being cited for wearing a non DOT helmet. The funniest thing I ever witnessed was a grubby biker wearing a beany helmet covered with a wig. Talked to him once and he said he'd been pulled over by the police more times than he could remember. I asked him if they'd ever ticketed him or got mad at him. He said no they were all pretty much good natured about it and once his joke got around none of them stopped him anymore.
    ...Or anywhere else, for that matter.

Spyder Garage

We don't have any DOT requirement here in Oz, but we do have Australian Design Rules (ADR's) covering national standards for road vehicle safety, equipment safety, anti-theft, and emissions et al, with mandated compliance indicated by approved labels & stickers etc. - and with our National Helmet Laws specifying that riders must wear an ADR approved helmet while riding, there have been quite a few riders here on Oz who've been booked for wearing helmets that weren't appropriately approved &/or with the required stickers/labels present, intact, & clearly legible!! There are even some who've been required to park their bike by the side of the road while they go to get an ADR Approved helmet before being allowed to ride on!! I haven't personally been booked on any of those, but I have been present when others have!

Plus, we aren't allowed to use most Track or Test facilities without the appropriately approved & labelled/stickered gear, including helmets & armour, etc. with mandated regular inspections to confirm that everything is compliant. I've even had to replace just my helmet liners on a couple of (still quite young, within date, usable, and otherwise compliant in every respect... ) helmets because the ADR labels had faded/worn thru regular use - the ADR stickers on the outside of the helmets were OK, but the sewn-in liner labels were faded & no longer clearly legible... Frayed or faded labels, stickers, straps, liners, and sticky or worn buckles &/or clips are all common failure items at scrutineering... but then I do feel that I'd much rather they failed there than in use!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-20-2024 at 02:53 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I think about the only enforcement in this regard is in the courtroom where someone is suing someone.
    Not just that, but whether or not your insurance company would pay up for injuries with a non-dot helmet...
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red