Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default New Owner of a 2022 Spyder RT - Trying to decide on navigation aids?

Been lurking for a while trying to learn about Spyders. I bought a new 2022 Spyder RT last week. Learned a lot about them from everyone here. Thanks.

Longtime motorcycle rider with back problems and weak legs, but still looking forward to many years of riding and traveling. I've already bought a trailer hitch, trailer light isolator, and a Backrest. Trying to decide what to do about navigation.

Thanks everyone!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-17-2024 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly state the reason for this thread after move fm Welcome sub-forum. ;-)
    Asphalt Animal
    2022 Can Am Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

on your new Spyder RTL
    Welcome to the Spyder forum from SE Missouri
    Ryde safe and enjoy the RYde
    2017 RTL Asphalt Grey Metallic Chrome
    2017 RTL , Asphalt Grey Mettalic

Spyder Garage

Welcome

Spyder Garage

A majority of ryders use Garmin Zumo XT. I know I like mine.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Paper Maps! Like the rest I bought a Garmin Zumo XT for my 2022 and wired up and mounted it.
    But when I travel, I still carry a old HD Road atlas. with me, there is still something about using a paper map I prefer.
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

Welcome! There is an OEM cable that runs rearward under your seat that is specifically a switched cable for a GPS. MY 2022 RT owners can be more specific about exact location on the right side of the Spyder if you are hunting for it. I've used a Garmin Zumo 590 since I purchased my roadster in 2014. The Zumo XT is the latest Garmin model and is slick, from what I've watched my touring partner do with it. I'm not a phone fan; it stays in my trunk and I use it only when not tooling down the road. Garmin also produces a free routing software package, BaseCamp, that has a pretty steep learning curve but can easily be used of one applies oneself to learning the program. There is a gent on Youtube, EZ Moto Tim, who has made an excellent, IMO, series of videos on learning BaseCamp from the ground up. He speaks clearly and concisely, and is very easy to understand. I agree with Juan too about paper maps. Butler motorcycle maps are an excellent product, particularly if one wants to tour off duller than dirt, and safer roads than interstates. One can also get lots of good tips from other SL participants about routes and not to be missed roads and attractions; all one has to do is ask. Good luck!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by safecracker View Post
    A majority of ryders use Garmin Zumo XT. I know I like mine.
    Me Too!
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

The XT2 is the latest version. I have had the 590, the XT and multiple car units over the years. XT2 is defiantly on top.

BTW, Lamonster has it on sale right now for $100 off.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Asphalt Animal View Post
    Been lurking for a while trying to learn about Spyders. I bought a new 2022 Spyder RT last week. Learned a lot about them from everyone here. Thanks.

Longtime motorcycle rider with back problems and weak legs, but still looking forward to many years of riding and traveling. I've already bought a trailer hitch, trailer light isolator, and a Backrest. Trying to decide what to do about navigation.

Thanks everyone!
    I know back in the day that 3 wheels were only considered as a last ditch option for those who could no longer ride 2 wheels. But the Spyder is way beyond this. It's a splendid ride in its own category of fun. I think you're going to be quite pleasantly surprised.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

and

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Welcome from South Carolina!
    2011 Can AM RT-S SE5 Red

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the group. I'm sure you will enjoy your Spyder. It's a very comfortable ride, with almost every bell, whistle, gottz and gazoole known to mankind.
    One small warning:
    You can't ride a Spyder for any length of time and be the shy retiring type. People will come at you in a friendly way and ask you about your ride every time you stop for gas.
    Some of their questions may seem foolish to you. I don't mean this as an insult, I'm sure you're a fine fellow, but please remember you are an ambassador for all of us.
    There have been several threads on this forum detailing how some of our members have delighted in offering snarky responses to innocent questions that the member has felt was "stupid".
    IMHO, there is no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid answers.

As to navigation, I prefer a stand-alone GPS like the Garmin Zumo XT.
    Many people use their cell phones. BRP connect allows you to cast the navigation instructions to the dash panel, and throw the audible directions to the bike speakers, or bluetooth headset if you are so inclined.
    There is one disadvantage to using your cell phone. You need to have both antennas connect at the same time.
    One antenna connects to the GPS satellites to determine your geographical coordinates. This is generally reliable since the GPS satellites are overhead, unless you go through a tunnel.
    The second antenna uses the cell towers and internet to convert the coordinates into a map position and determine the driving directions to your destination. If you are in an area of dodgy cell reception, the driving directions are also dodgy.
    If you know you will be in an area of spotty cell reception, you can download the maps to your cell phone before you get there and you should be OK.

Again, welcome to the group. Good luck in sorting out all your questions.
    Let us know how you make out.

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Yea I keep forgetting that you can download the maps and turn directions from Google Maps. That does work...

Regarding the people asking about the Spyder at every gas stop. ....cant say that as happened for me...I would not mind at all .....but we do get some looks as we have a 2023 Sea to Sky and a 2024 Sea to Sky
    2024 RT SEa To Sky ( back ahome after screen issues fixed looking forward to the BajaRon event May 1-5 )

2023 RT Sea to Sky Shadow Green ( guess what NO errors at all in 8 months of owning....)

Spyder Garage

Yeah we also have a Slingshot that my wife claims, So we're used to attention at gas stops. I'm thinking i'm going to ignore all of the good advice on the Garmin and try a Carpuride Car Play. I've used the scenic app on my Goldwing for a few years and like how it works. Thanks everyone.
    Asphalt Animal
    2022 Can Am Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Thanks ned64 for the pm. I don't have permission to reply to pm's for some reason.
    Asphalt Animal
    2022 Can Am Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Thanks ned64 for the pm. I don't have permission to reply to pm's for some reason.
    Just had a quick look Asphalt, and that'll likely be because you didn't log-in here for an extended period after initially joining (it looks like the gap between you initially joining and your first posting here was something close to 7 years! ) so your registration/account was effectively archived. It's a security/anti-spammer/anti-scammer thing...

You can get this fixed by using the 'Contact Us' link (down at the bottom of every page) to send a message to our Admin asking him to fix it for you, and maybe including your current/working email address, especially if there's any likelihood that it's different now to whatever you entered back when you first joined.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WRCLVR View Post
    ...Regarding the people asking about the Spyder at every gas stop. ....cant say that as happened for me...I would not mind at all .....but we do get some looks as we have a 2023 Sea to Sky and a 2024 Sea to Sky
    It happens to me most every place I happen to stop if there are people around. And if I've doffed my helmet, the second question is most often, "How old are you?"
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Yeah we also have a Slingshot that my wife claims, So we're used to attention at gas stops. I'm thinking i'm going to ignore all of the good advice on the Garmin and try a Carpuride Car Play. I've used the scenic app on my Goldwing for a few years and like how it works. Thanks everyone.
    Hey We have one too. 2019 SLR manual with Sparco appointments and bunch of mods including Thermal RnD Raptor roof system...~2900 miles on her so just getting started..lol
    2024 RT SEa To Sky ( back ahome after screen issues fixed looking forward to the BajaRon event May 1-5 )

2023 RT Sea to Sky Shadow Green ( guess what NO errors at all in 8 months of owning....)

Spyder Garage

Thank you Peter.
    Asphalt Animal
    2022 Can Am Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Ours is a 2021 SL with all of the R options with the 5 speed std transmission. We have about 18000 miles on it. A lot of fun.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-20-2024 at 08:22 PM.
    Asphalt Animal
    2022 Can Am Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Go to Lamonster buy the splitter cable that plugs into the wiring harness and get a Garmin XT. Get a Bluetooth unit on your helmet. The Garmin acts as a switchboard for all functions. Better than using the BPR app.
    Frank Ferrante
    2022 Can Am Spyder RT Limited Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    2016 Moto Guzzi Eldorado

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the Spyderverse!
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

You're in luck. The Garmin XT and XT2 are on sale. Check with Lamonster Garage.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Garmin Zumo for sure.
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Spyder RSS

Spyder Garage

I have a larger iPhone and mount it in the center of my handlebars and manage all my navigation from there.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.