Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default What makes a Spyder's smoother ride vs. Ryker?

Hi All,
    I am lurking in here from the Ryker forum. I bought a Ryker as I needed to go to 3 wheels due to loss of strength and balance. But I feel like I take quite a beating operating and riding the Ryker (I am a fit 75 y.o.) I thought that would not bother me as the most I would ever do is like 200 miles and even that is rare. No touring anymore. It's rough ride and so-so roads around here really beat me up. I have to say it takes some of my exuberance out of my riding. So, Spyder people, mechanically what makes the Spyder such a smoother ride that I am guessing it is? Every ride my mind drifts to "wonder what trade-in I would get for a Spyder". Thanks, Chuck
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-15-2024 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question/s... ;-)
    2019 900 ACE , red

Spyder Garage

I believe the Spyders have a longer wheel base. Aslo the RTs' and F3T and F3 limited have air bags for rear suspension. Power assisted steering. Better seats. I"m sure they are a few more things. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

I have never riden a Ryker but I believe the Spyder would ride better because of its weight and it also has air suspension. I am 62 and it rides very well to me.

Spyder Garage

What makes the Spyder's smoother ride?? The longer bike; the heavier weight; the better suspension; the power steering; the thicker (or any, really!) seat padding; the higher profile tires (especially if you go a/mkt & run 18 psi in them!); the less cramped position; and probably a bunch more besides, but that's a good enough start with, isn't it??

I guess the best way I can describe the comparison is to say that it's like comparing a stripped out for racing, lightweight, sports car like a Caterham 7 that's running on low profile, high pressure, rubber bands of tires with a larger Sports Touring coupe running on high spec sports touring higher profile tires (read = much comfort!) - the former rattles your fillings out and jars your bones while you're carving thru the twisties, but it's a real blast for however long (or short!) you manage to stand it; while the latter is still a real blast, only you get to keep all your fillings, don't get crush fractures in your vertebrae, and you can really enjoy the smoooothness of the ride while you're carving those twisties, probably somewhat faster too!

Just Sayin'
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I haven't ridden a Ryker but there are many pluses for the Spyder based on specs alone.
    1. Spyder is twice the price of a Riker. That should be a hint that the Spyder has upgraded features.
    2. Power steering
    3. Suspension
    4. Cruise Control
    5. Heated Grips
    6. Fairing coverage
    7. Radio/BT
    8. Storage
    9. 1330 3cyl Engine

I'm 76, ride an RT and can cruise 10 hrs/day over multi-day trips with no pain or discomfort.

The adage, "You get what you pay for" is in full force here.

Find one for a test ride to appreciate the differences.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

The Spyder RT is more of a touring rig, with the Spyder F3 being a bit more sporty. The Ryker was designed as a go for it full sports trike. I did not even bother to try riding a Ryker in my trike class in the fall of 2020 when I was only 76 years old. I just bought a second 2018 RTL and will ride the first one(Champagne one) from AZ to Wa is another couple months to be my summer trike up there.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

If you look at the adverts for the Rykers it's patently obvious BRP is trying to attract younger riders; ergo, a basic lower price roadster. RayBJ's given a basic upgrade list of items in the RT model, every one justified by the price difference between the two machines. There are a good number of us blokes who are older than Ray and are still going strong on our RTs. The single accessory that makes a huge difference in touring day after day is my drivers backrest. The most important part of my riding life -- a vigorous gym workout five days a week.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys. I of course figured that for the higher price you got better suspension, etc., but had not thought of some of the other things you mentioned. I love to hear the stories of you that are my age and still riding long trips. Several of you said you never tried a Ryker and thought they introduced it to have something sporty for younger riders. My thought is they just shot for a price point to get in the market of lower priced motorcycles. I think they managed to get to that price point with cheap parts (especially suspension) and basic junky engineering. Amen - you get what you pay for.
    2019 900 ACE , red

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cjctucson View Post
    Hi All,
    I am lurking in here from the Ryker forum. I bought a Ryker as I needed to go to 3 wheels due to loss of strength and balance. But I feel like I take quite a beating operating and riding the Ryker (I am a fit 75 y.o.) I thought that would not bother me as the most I would ever do is like 200 miles and even that is rare. No touring anymore. It's rough ride and so-so roads around here really beat me up. I have to say it takes some of my exuberance out of my riding. So, Spyder people, mechanically what makes the Spyder such a smoother ride that I am guessing it is? Every ride my mind drifts to "wonder what trade-in I would get for a Spyder". Thanks, Chuck

This is only MY opinion; the Ryker is a much smaller & lighter machine.... compare it to a small Honda or other brand motorcycle 2-wheeler compared to let's say, a GoldWing that weights around 900 lbs. The lighter machine will never ride as nice and smooth as a heavier machine. It will be bouncier and less comfortable than the larger machines.
    If I were you, I would sell the Ryker and go for the F3 model. I am 82 have been riding Spyders since 2008. The reason I ride the 3 wheeled Spyder is because after being T-BONED while riding my Honda ST1100 when I was 70, I thought I had all the 2 wheeled fun I needed. I started riding a motorcycle to school in the 7th grade.

My New F3.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-15-2024 at 10:43 PM.

Spyder Garage

Hi All,
    If by chance you like the platform of the Ryker and don't like the ride, you could spend a few bucks and make a shock change. Go to, or call someone that specializes in that and ask them some questions. Talks cheap, then you could decide whether it's what you want or look into trading up! You then should go somewhere that you can get on them and take the RT, and F3 out for a rip, and see which fits your butt best!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-16-2024 at 07:46 AM. Reason: weather - rain, snow, etc ;-)
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    If by chance you like the platform of the Ryker and don't like the ride, you could spend a few bucks and make a shock change. Go to, or call someone that specializes in that and ask them some questions. Talks cheap, then you could decide whether it's what you want or look into trading up! You then should go somewhere that you can get on them and take the RT, and F3 out for a rip, and see which fits your butt best!
    I agree with Mikey. Might be worth the time. There are folks touring on a Ryker, one on this forum went to Alaska and back.

YMMV
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-16-2024 at 10:28 AM.
    2023 Ryker Rally - Heritage White III
    Sport Windshield
    GPS Holder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by StalkyTracker View Post
    I agree with Mikey. Might be worth the time. Their are folks touring on a Ryker, one on this forum went to Alaska and back.

YMMV
    No kidding!

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Touring on a Ryker is like riding in an old pickup truck. That's a lot of fun, but tiring. Touring on my Sea to Sky is like riding in a limousine. I rode 9,313 miles in 27 days and enjoyed the ride. Oh, I'm a mere 85.
    Completed SCMC Four Corners Tour
    Rattlesnake 1,000
    Don Diego 400
    Cal 500 & 1,000
    Unicycled at South Pole, Antarctica
    Coldfoot, Alaska, to Cabo San Lucas
    4,000 mile Mexican tour to Yucatan Peninsula

Spyder Garage

There is a lot of good advice here.

Price will be a good guide as to amenities for $$. Both versions have their plusses and minuses.

The big point I wish to make is "what do YOU really want or can afford. ???

A test drive of an RT may be the best answer for YOU. The other piece is from the pocket book. Will the benefits of RT vs. Ryker be worth whatever the $$ difference is in the possibility of trading "up."

It does sound to me like you don't need a luxury tourer for your less than 200 mile rides. Have you tried slowing down a bit and "smelling the roses." ??? That, in itself may make the difference without putting out another $10K plus.

Let us know what you decide.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

All good stuff, thanks. I am the original "smell the roses guy". I am known for leading back road rides and going as slow as traffic will allow. But sometimes you just have to take that certain road that you have to at least do 45 on due to traffic. If the road is not in great shape, it roughs you up a little. I have a couple more small things to do to try to smooth things out. I already did a steering damper and that made a huge change. Now they say a sway bar and bar end mounts will really help. Haven't really priced that stuff yet. Even if it take $200-400 it is worth it compared to 10K to upgrade to a Spyder. And ARtraveler is right, 200 miles once a week would probably not justify the jump. ARtraveler, do you collect all things related to moose? We are up to about 15 various items in our house. Take Care All, Chuck
    2019 900 ACE , red

Spyder Garage

All good stuff, thanks. I am the original "smell the roses guy". I am known for leading back road rides and going as slow as traffic will allow. But sometimes you just have to take that certain road that you have to at least do 45 on due to traffic. If the road is not in great shape, it roughs you up a little. I have a couple more small things to do to try to smooth things out. I already did a steering damper and that made a huge change. Now they say a sway bar and bar end mounts will really help. Haven't really priced that stuff yet. Even if it take $200-400 it is worth it compared to 10K to upgrade to a Spyder. And ARtraveler is right, 200 miles once a week would probably not justify the jump. ARtraveler, do you collect all things related to moose? We are up to about 15 various items in our house. Take Care All, Chuck

Have you been up Kitt Peak?

Spyder Garage

What are you really trying to end up with? You said it road to hard for you I thought. I guess what I am trying to ask is what do you not like about the Ryker? Then maybe we can help. Spill your guts!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys. I of course figured that for the higher price you got better suspension, etc., but had not thought of some of the other things you mentioned. I love to hear the stories of you that are my age and still riding long trips. Several of you said you never tried a Ryker and thought they introduced it to have something sporty for younger riders. My thought is they just shot for a price point to get in the market of lower priced motorcycles. I think they managed to get to that price point with cheap parts (especially suspension) and basic junky engineering. Amen - you get what you pay for.
    I have never ridden a Ryker but have set on one and could tell that I would be cramped etc. Talking about price points I had an accident on my Harley last year and decided that maybe it was time for me to think about 3 wheels. Even though I had said many times that I would never ride a 3 wheeler. Getting back to price point I bought an older 2011 RT-S that I have grown to love. i have had some 400-500 mile days with no problem. The newer models 2014 up have the 1330 engine and 6 speed transmission which should be better than I have but I will not ride one because then I would probably not like mine anymore. Good luck in your quest but my rambling about was to suggest that you might even look at some used Spyders. By the way I am 77.
    Leon
    2011 Can AM RT-S SE5 Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Leaping1 View Post
    I have never ridden a Ryker but have set on one and could tell that I would be cramped etc. Talking about price points I had an accident on my Harley last year and decided that maybe it was time for me to think about 3 wheels. Even though I had said many times that I would never ride a 3 wheeler. Getting back to price point I bought an older 2011 RT-S that I have grown to love. i have had some 400-500 mile days with no problem. The newer models 2014 up have the 1330 engine and 6 speed transmission which should be better than I have but I will not ride one because then I would probably not like mine anymore. Good luck in your quest but my rambling about was to suggest that you might even look at some used Spyders. By the way I am 77.
    Leon
    Come Leaping1, try a 1330 SE6 just once!!

Spyder Garage

Yes, I have been to the top 5 or 6 times. Just got the Ryker about a month ago, so Kitt Peak is one the list for a couple weeks from now. Then if it warms up, Mt Lemmon. Not sure if we can post links, but when nobody was sure if the Kitt Peak road was open after being closed for quite some time after the fire, I just took off one morning to check it in person.

https://www.relive.cc/view/v36AgNXEYZv

This is a pretty old link also. Moderators, if this is not supposed to be here, please just delete that sentence. Thanks, Chuck
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-16-2024 at 11:28 PM. Reason: ;-)
    2019 900 ACE , red

Spyder Garage

Yes, I have been to the top 5 or 6 times. Just got the Ryker about a month ago, so Kitt Peak is one the list for a couple weeks from now. Then if it warms up, Mt Lemmon. Not sure if we can post links, but when nobody was sure if the Kitt Peak road was open after being closed for quite some time after the fire, I just took off one morning to check it in person.

https://www.relive.cc/view/v36AgNXEYZv

This is a pretty old link also. Moderators, if this is not supposed to be here, please just delete that sentence. Thanks, Chuck
    Hey it's your thread!!!

I did Kitt Peak last week. 291 mile round trip for me.

https://youtu.be/o75BUMoxQ7s
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-16-2024 at 11:29 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    Hey it's your thread!!!

I did Kitt Peak last week. 291 mile round trip for me.

https://youtu.be/o75BUMoxQ7s
    Your vid (& cjc's) are both fine, good vids too - my only complaint is the lack of some wonderful tunes on yours!!

All that beautiful riding and THERE'S NO ENGINE NOISE!! Just some of that greatly over-rated instrumental stuff that those in the know would NEVER call 'real music', cos everyone in the know just KNOWS that the only true 'music' out there is the song of a finely tuned Internal Combustion Engine in full song!!

Yeah, you can have some backing vocals from the tires as they howl in appreciation when hanging on for dear life as they corner right on their limits; it's even acceptable to have some accompanying road noise, maybe also a bit of wind noise as it whips past your helmet & maybe buffets your jacket a little; but the Wonderful Song of a well wrought Internal Combustion Engine doing its utmost to respond to your throttle inputs is just the best - the true Music of Mankind....

And you stomped all over it, blocking all that wonderful music out and covering it up with caterwauling noises from people torturing wood, wind, and strings!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-16-2024 at 11:51 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Chuck,

I'm one of those that happily tour on a Ryker, and I rode mine to Alaska last summer. It's no good to feel beat up by the bike, takes all the fun out of the ride. What tire pressures are you running? You'd be surprised at the difference that can make.

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Spyder Garage

Just look at both of them. One is a high-tech cruising machine... the other is a toy! For someone who’s just getting into riding... the Ryker is perfect for a while. But not for a comfortable ride. And yes, I have ridden both. There is no comparison. You're not comparing apples with apples here sir. I wish you luck! I’m also 75 yrs. old. Been riding since 1959 (not legally). Just sold my 2011 Spyder RT Ltd. With 100,000 kl. I drove nine different bikes and I must tell you that the Spyder RT was the most enjoyable ride I’ve ever had, for comfort anyways. I took one long ride on a Ryker... brought it back sooner than I was supposed to. The dealer asked me if I would write a review (I do this every chance I get) I refused to do it. I told him he would be pissed off at me for a long time.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-18-2024 at 08:52 PM.
    If you don't change anything,,,
    nothing is going to change!

Spyder Garage

Hi All,
    You purchased a 2-seater, light, quick, sports car vehicle. It won't ride like a Lexus or Cadillac. You'll need to be on one of the larger, heavier, creature comfort models for a cushier ride.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 03-17-2024 at 01:46 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...