Spyder Garage

Default Finally, doing Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway in May!

Sue and I are taking the last 2 weeks of May to attempt to ryde the Skyline and BRP. We have been talking about it since before the pandemic. Our first day will be getting to the Conn/Penn border. Second day make it to Port Royal. Third day complete the Skyline. Fourth, start BRP (Blue Ridge Parkway) and decide at that time what to do. Once we complete the BRP we might hit some of the great riding areas in that area before heading home. Watched a great video on 7 best motorcycling roads in N.C.. Here is the link. Bruce
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20Qy7sGN5zA
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-14-2024 at 06:14 PM. Reason: added more infor about the ride.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

It is a great ride and I am over there a couple times a year if not more. That time of year can be chilly weather up there, but being from Maine you already understand chilly weather. If you have a National Parks pass or are a veteran you can use that on Skyline Drive. No fee on the BRP. Newfound Gap and Deal's Gap tend to have a lot of traffic, but if hit at the right time can be great. A few more suggestions for great roads with little traffic are Wayah Rd., Ellijay Rd which turns into Tilley Creek Rd., Cullowhee Mountain Rd., and Rt 178. Have fun.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

NavyDad, thank you for the info. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    Gone but not forgotten

Spyder Garage

My own, not so humble opinion, is the Dragon is highly overrated. If you are going to ride it plan to do in the middle of the week when the crotch rocket jerks and McLaren and other cage drivers are working, and get a early start. The CRJs come out in the late afternoons but in smaller numbers. Do NOT miss the Cherohala Skyway.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

There is a short section closed for work on bridges between Jefferson NC and BRP exit at RT 421. I'm guessing about 18-20mi. The detour around this, RT 163 over to RT 221 to RT 421/BRP is a nice ride and offers you a stop at W.Jefferson for fast food, gas, etc if you want. It might well be open by time you get there.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Thank you, everyone. Sue I do not plan on doing the Tail of the Dragon. Might stop at the store and get a t shirt. Thanks on the info on the detour. Is there still a detour around Roanoke?
    New to Sue and I
    Gone but not forgotten

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by safecracker View Post
    Thank you, everyone. Sue I do not plan on doing the Tail of the Dragon. Might stop at the store and get a t shirt. Thanks on the info on the detour. Is there still a detour around Roanoke?
    Although many say the Tail of the Dragon is overated, I think it is worth it. If there long enough, the Cherohola Skyway and Foothills Parkway is definitly worth the ride. The Tail of the Dragon is being repaved, and will probably be still doing repaving when you are there. Also, keep in mind that Skyline drive has a 35 mph speed limit and they are very happy to enforce it. A buddy of mine and I did the entire BRP and Skyline drive back in 2017. I do many parts of it each year, 3-4 times a year. The best parts are from Boone south to Cherokee. Have fun.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I've ridden the BRP, Cherahola, TOD, Skyline, etc. several times. Personally, the TOD is a 'Merit Badge' road just to say you did it, but is the most technical of the list. Once is enough, but the other roads are keepers. Also consider the Rattler (West of the BRP) which is often overlooked when running the BRP.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-16-2024 at 04:33 AM. Reason: wlen ... ;-)
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I would skip "Skyline Dr.". Just wasn't worth it. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

I disagree with skipping Skyline. It is some of the best scenery of the Blue Ridge Parkway route. Saw a young bear cross the road in front of me last time I rode it. Also stopped at a high up, scenic overlook and watched two people riding the updrafts near the cliffs with parasails. You can see for miles and miles.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

I agree w/- Gwolf. I have not ridden Skyline Drive on my Spyder but have bicycled it numerous times and have hiked the Appalachian Trail through Shenandoah National Park and had two bear encounters on the hike. It's a beautiful park.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S