Spyder Garage

Default Gold Canyon, Az to Kitt Peak National Observatory and back

291 mile loop today. Left Gold Canyon at 9 am and headed down to Tucson, then SW on 86 and up to Kitt Peak. Got back at 4 pm. This was a test ride to see if this old man can do 300 mile days in prep to ride the Champagne Spyder from Az to Wa this spring. 3 minute video is near the top of the 7000' mountain. There are a lot of telescopes up there and some in this video.

https://youtu.be/o75BUMoxQ7s
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

If 300 miles are too much. Stop at 299.

Completed SCMC Four Corners Tour
    Rattlesnake 1,000
    Don Diego 400
    Cal 500 & 1,000
    Unicycled at South Pole, Antarctica
    Coldfoot, Alaska, to Cabo San Lucas
    4,000 mile Mexican tour to Yucatan Peninsula

Spyder Garage

As I'm sure you are aware, there are several routes to tour between here and Washington. I have done that at least a dozen times over the years and always see new and interesting things each time. In recent years my final destination before heading back south has been Anacortes. Usually stay 3 nights there. A ferry trip to San Juan island and lunch on the deck at Roche Harbor is a must for me. Three hundred mile days are easy. I usually plan my stops then or sometimes a little less (250). Avoiding interstates makes the tour a lot more enjoyable. Just plan on traveling 50 miles for each hour you are on the road. (300 miles = 6 hour day). I have several maps of the Western United States, one for each year's trip. Use a highlighter to plan my route. They give a good full perspective of things. Available at Walmart. Good luck and enjoy..... Your Mesa neighbor, Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I have been coming to the Phoenix area each winter starting in 2008-09. So I have been many routes towing a 5th wheel trailer. I have planned a route to do the trip in 7 days, as follows.

1. Gold Canyon to Beaumont, Ca 333 miles
    2. Beaumont to Fresno, Ca 302 miles
    3. Fresno to Point Arena, CA 299 miles on Highway 1 North of San Francisco. I spent my last year and a half in the Coast Guard the Loran A station there.
    4. Point Arena to Brookings, Or 295 miles
    5. Brookings to Wheeler, Or 298 miles
    6. Wheeler to Port Angeles, Wa 281 miles Highway 101 around the West side of the Olympic Peninsula I grew up in Port Angeles.
    7. Port Angeles, to Lake Stevens, Wa 135 miles via Port Townsend to Keystone on the ferry.
    Last edited by Snoking1127; 03-13-2024 at 06:37 PM.

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    As I'm sure you are aware, there are several routes to tour between here and Washington. I have done that at least a dozen times over the years and always see new and interesting things each time. In recent years my final destination before heading back south has been Anacortes. Usually stay 3 nights there. A ferry trip to San Juan island and lunch on the deck at Roche Harbor is a must for me. Three hundred mile days are easy. I usually plan my stops then or sometimes a little less (250). Avoiding interstates makes the tour a lot more enjoyable. Just plan on traveling 50 miles for each hour you are on the road. (300 miles = 6 hour day). I have several maps of the Western United States, one for each year's trip. Use a highlighter to plan my route. They give a good full perspective of things. Available at Walmart. Good luck and enjoy..... Your Mesa neighbor, Jim
    Our last home in Washington was in Shelter Bay in La Conner, near Anacortes (my doctor is still there). We had a waterfront home on the Swinomish Channel. Wife passed away in 2021 and I have a 5th wheel trailer in a membership RV park in Lake Stevens. The Champagne Spyder was there in the summer of 2021 and 2022. Starting this summer that will be it's permanent home.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Snoking1127; 03-13-2024 at 07:03 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    Our last home in Washington was in Shelter Bay in La Conner, near Anacortes (my doctor is still there). We had a waterfront home on the Swinomish Channel. Wife passed away in 2021 and I have a 5th wheel trailer in a membership RV park in Lake Stevens. The Champagne Spyder was there in the summer of 2021 and 2022. Starting this summer that will be it's permanent home.
    Sorry about your loss.
    Beautiful photos, and the Spyder has its own carport!
    John B.
    Current ride: 2020 Spyder RT-s Petrol Metallic Blue dark with OEM top case

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJohn View Post
    Sorry about your loss.
    Beautiful photos, and the Spyder has its own carport!
    Two of my buddies were going to help me finish the curved outer section of the new deck and then we were going to go golfing. Well we never made it to the golf course that day. The curve was to go with the rainbow bridge.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Snoking1127; 03-14-2024 at 08:17 AM.