Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Are Vredestein Tires Directional? Does Ride-On come in 'bottles per tire'?

I am changing out my Kendas for the Quatrac and would like to know if they are a directional tire or not?
    Also, for those of you using Ride-On, does it come in measurable bottles for 3 oz per tire?

Thanks in advance for the info.....johnv
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-09-2024 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question/s... ;-)
    USMC RETIRED

BLUE KNIGHTS NYV

2022 F3T Glacier Blue

Spyder Garage

They are directional.

Spyder Garage

Yes they are a directional tire. I can't comment on Ride On as I don't use it.

My Mods:
    Elka Stage 5 rear shock with spring preload adjust
    Monster Stage 2 ECU
    Pedal Commander
    RLS cat delete
    Baja Ron sway bar
    Baker Air Wings upper and lower
    Viking saddle bags
    Third pegs
    Vredestein tires front and rear
    Mad Stad windshield
    X-creen windshield deflector
    Front and rear drive cam
    Garmin Zumo XT
    Heated gear wiring
    Lamonster LED headlights
    Lamonster LED foglights
    Lamonster frame mount cupholder
    BRP heated handgrips
    Lamonster drivers backrest
    BRP passenger backrest
    Lidlock handlebar end helmet locks
    Barkbusters Storm handguards
    2020 F3S-SS , Titanium/Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Side wall will show direction of rotation if directional
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

for a 165/60/15 is 10 oz

Spyder Garage

If this tread pattern, then yes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerchris1270 View Post
    Side wall will show direction of rotation if directional
    This has been asked before .... I don't think they are , I have the Quatrac 5 and there aren't any Arrows on mine .... I checked the Tire Rack site and didn't see any arrows on the NEW Quatrac model either , however that Tread pattern looks directional .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I prefer the Car version of Ride-On in the Spyder. Which makes sense because we are running car tires/wheels and not motorcycle. It is less expensive and works better for balancing than the motorcycle version. You will need 2 bottles to do all 3 tires. However, if you have an out of round tire (a problem with OEM Kenda's) Ride-On can exacerbate that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    This has been asked before .... I don't think they are , I have the Quatrac 5 and there aren't any Arrows on mine .... I checked the Tire Rack site and didn't see any arrows on the NEW Quatrac model either , however that Tread pattern looks directional .... Mike
    The Quatrac is definitely directional. They had a highly stylized arrow in the past. But you're right, I don't see any arrow on the current version. But no matter, it is a directional tire.

As per Vredestein, "The Quatrac features an all-season tread compound molded into a distinctive, directional, v-shaped pattern."
    Last edited by BajaRon; 03-09-2024 at 02:56 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I am installing just the fronts, how much sealant per tire?

Thanks johnv
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-09-2024 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)
    USMC RETIRED

BLUE KNIGHTS NYV

2022 F3T Glacier Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnv50 View Post
    I am installing just the fronts, how much sealant per tire?

Thanks johnv
    Here is a link for the official Ride-On dosage calculator.
    https://www.ride-on.com/us/calculator
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-09-2024 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

The Quatrac 5 is a non-directional tire: https://www.vulcantire.com/tire_deta...c5_s.htm_22032

The Quatrac like I have is a directional tire: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/vredestein-quatrac
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Anyone used Ride On in their back tire? How do you think it performed as far as balancing?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-09-2024 at 05:46 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jjc54 View Post
    Anyone used Ride On in their back tire? How do you think it performed as far as balancing?
    I've used both the Car and Motorcycle Ride-On in all 3 tires. I much prefer the Car version for balancing. I'm told the Car version is not quite as good at sealing as the motorcycle version. But I was more interested in balance than sealant. And though I've never needed the sealing attribute, I believe it would seal just fine. A motorcycle tire has much less air volume than a car tire so sealing quickly is more important on a motorcycle. Not to mention, a flat on a Spyder isn't all that dangerous. Whereas, a flat on 2 wheels is VERY BAD!

Motorcycle tires have much less mass than car tires. So they are easier to balance, which is why the motorcycle version of Ride-On sacrifices some balancing ability in favor of quicker sealing.

I've been very happy with the Car Ride-On. If the Spyder sits more than 2 weeks, I get a bit of out-of-balance for the first 5 miles or so. Then everything evens out and the ride is smooth again.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-09-2024 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

I can't say enough good about Ride On. When I first heard about it I thought it was all BS but after trying it I am a believer. I first heard about it from an old school Harley mechanic. I was putting a new tire on my Harley and needed some tire weights, so I called him to see if he had any. He said he did, but told me to try Ride On instead, which I did. He was so old school that if you wanted synthetic oil in your bike, he would not service it. He never serviced mine for that reason.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-09-2024 at 05:49 PM.
    2011 Can AM RT-S SE5 Red

Spyder Garage

Just went to the Ride On website and they said they were out of stock of their auto/suv packs but had a button where they would notify when back in stock.

When you use Ride On are you supposed to remove all the wheel weights?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-09-2024 at 05:48 PM.

Spyder Garage

Just went to the Ride On website and they said they were out of stock of their auto/suv packs but had a button where they would notify when back in stock.

When you use Ride On are you supposed to remove all the wheel weights?
    Yes, you would remove your wheel weights.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I've been using Ride-On sealant in my m/c tires for years. I had a nice talk with a Ride-On technician about which formula to use in my Spyder tires. He was very specific about these two points:

1.) He insisted that I should use the motorcycle formula even though I had car tires installed. He stated the m/c formula was preferred over auto formula in trikes.
    2.) He also was adamant that I use the standard dosage versus the severe dosage amount.

I've always had good luck buying the "dented/damaged" products direct thru Ride-On. Never received any unusable product.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-10-2024 at 06:06 PM.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    for a 165/60/15 is 10 oz
    Is the 10oz for the M/C product or the Auto/SUV product? I understand that they are not identical products.

Spyder Garage

Is the 10oz for the M/C product or the Auto/SUV product? I understand that they are not identical products.
    Copy/paste

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://images.ride-on.eu/en_US/dosage-table/Motorcycle_Dosage_Table_and_Installation_Instructi ons.pdf

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://www.ride-onshop.com/auto_version_14.0.pdf

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    I've been using Ride-On sealant in my m/c tires for years. I had a nice talk with a Ride-On technician about which formula to use in my Spyder tires. He was very specific about these two points:

1.) He insisted that I should use the motorcycle formula even though I had car tires installed. He stated the m/c formula was preferred over auto formula in trikes.
    2.) He also was adamant that I use the standard dosage versus the severe dosage amount.

I've always had good luck buying the "dented/damaged" products direct thru Ride-On. Never received any unusable product.
    Did he give you a reason why? I've talked to them as well and I could never get them to explain why or give any reason at all that a car tire should get a motorcycle tire product. They just kept telling me to use the motorcycle version. With detailed information on everything else they say, I find this odd. More of a mantra than fact based advise. Which, on the face of it, makes no sense at all.

I also asked them why they originally (for several years) recommended the Car tire product for the Spyder, then suddenly changed their mind. Couldn't get an answer for that either. My feeling is it's a CYA approach. Our OEM tires say 'For Motorcycle Use Only', which BRP made a big deal about right around the time that Ride-On had a change of heart. My feeling is that Ride-On doesn't want to go to court over it. Plus, most trikes have a motorcycle front wheel (which I agree, should get the M/C formula).

I've tried them both and I prefer the car tire formula in the Spyder. If Ride-On would give a coherent, rational reason for using the motorcycle formula in a car tire, I would be happy to reconsider.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 03-11-2024 at 05:40 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Did he give you a reason why? I've talked to them as well and I could never get them to explain why or give any reason at all that a car tire should get a motorcycle tire product. They just kept telling me to use the motorcycle version. With detailed information on everything else they say, I find this odd. More of a mantra than fact based advise. Which, on the face of it, makes no sense at all.

I also asked them why they originally (for several years) recommended the Car tire product for the Spyder, then suddenly changed their mind. Couldn't get an answer for that either. My feeling is it's a CYA approach. Our OEM tires say 'For Motorcycle Use Only', which BRP made a big deal about right around the time that Ride-On had a change of heart. My feeling is that Ride-On doesn't want to go to court over it. Plus, most trikes have a motorcycle front wheel (which I agree, should get the M/C formula).

I've tired them both and I prefer the car tire formula in the Spyder. If Ride-On would give a coherent, rational reason for using the motorcycle formula in a car tire, I would be happy to reconsider.
    The guy I talked to was Harry. He said the m/c formula is a touch less viscous than the auto formula. I did have the auto formula in my front tires at one time, and they would not smoothen out. That was my reason for the call. That's about it...
    Last edited by troop; 03-11-2024 at 01:54 PM.

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

I've never heard of "ride-on" but maybe this would solve my vibration issue. I just had Vredestein's installed in front and Altimax 45 in the rear. The service tech swears he balanced and aligned the fronts, but I have a noticeable vibration starting at 55 and getting worse up to 70mph. Would this "ride-on" fix this if the tire(s) are out of round or ...???

2022 RTL HyperSilver
    2018 Honda Goldwing Tour White
    2022 RTL , Hyper Silver

Spyder Garage

check your front lug nuts to be sure they are tight
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TimKW View Post
    I've never heard of "ride-on" but maybe this would solve my vibration issue. I just had Vredestein's installed in front and Altimax 45 in the rear. The service tech swears he balanced and aligned the fronts, but I have a noticeable vibration starting at 55 and getting worse up to 70mph. Would this "ride-on" fix this if the tire(s) are out of round or ...???
    Auto tires ( ANY Brand ) are Rarely un-able to balance ..... Are there people who don't know how to balance ....IMHO this is more likely ..... Take both front wheels to any Auto shop that balances using a Spin balancer and have them check it ..... good luck .. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    The guy I talked to was Harry. He said the m/c formula is a touch less viscous than the auto formula. I did have the auto formula in my front tires at one time, and they would not smoothen out. That was my reason for the call. That's about it...
    Did you ever get them to smooth out? If they were out-of-round, a product like Ride-On can actually make it worse.

He is right that the M/C formula is less viscous (more liquid) than the auto formula. This means it will even out sooner than the Car version. But it will also give you an out of balance situation after sitting much more quickly then the Car version. Kind of a tradeoff I suppose. But the bottom line is, the car version will give you more balancing potential than the M/C version. If you don't need much balancing, then maybe the M/C version will work just fine. But you won't know until you try it. It may also be that the M/C version won't exacerbate an out of round tire issue.

But if you have an out-of-round tire, don't waste your money on Ride-On or dynamic balancing, for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Auto tires ( ANY Brand ) are Rarely un-able to balance ..... Are there people who don't know how to balance ....IMHO this is more likely ..... Take both front wheels to any Auto shop that balances using a Spin balancer and have them check it ..... good luck .. Mike
    I agree. It is unlikely that the tires are the problem. How much weight did they add to the wheel? Does it look like new or old weights? Those tires almost never need that much to balance.

Did they line the valve stem dot up with the valve stem? This is your first indication as to whether or not your tech did a good job. It doesn't need to be perfectly aligned. But it should be close. Sometimes the tire will move a bit on the rim during mounting and it's not worth the effort to get the dot right on.

Be sure the wheel lug nuts are properly torqued (as already suggested). I would eliminate all other possibilities before putting Ride-On in. If adding Ride-On doesn't fix your issue, it may complicate finding a solution.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 03-11-2024 at 05:53 PM.