Spyder Garage

Default Looking to pull the trigger on F3T but have questions

Hey all, new to the forum and was getting ready to pull the trigger on a 2023 F3T but have questions about weight limits. Been reading about aftermarket suspensions like Elka rear shocks and wondered if something like this will increase the weight limit any? I'm pushing 400lbs, yes, I know!! Anyway I won't be riding 2 up as my wife said she would never get on one but also want to make sure myself and anything I may carry will be ok.

I found a pretty good deal on a F3T but am still going to test a RT this weekend as well. Unfortunately they don't have a base RT just a couple RT limited as I think I read the weight limit on those is like 490lbs where the F3 is like 430lbd, correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, my thinking was after market rear shock minimum or even replacing all 3 would be a lot cheaper then the price difference, not to mention would probably improve the ride as well.
    So, will after market shocks increase the weight limit any? If so, is there a particular brand or setup to achieve my goal? Thanks in advance, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Not much different than riding two up. You might just figure out how to turn on the rear seat pillow switch so the newer RTL or F3L trikes thinks you are riding two up and accounts for the extra weight.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mgauger View Post
    Hey all, new to the forum and was getting ready to pull the trigger on a 2023 F3T but have questions about weight limits. Been reading about aftermarket suspensions like Elka rear shocks and wondered if something like this will increase the weight limit any? I'm pushing 400lbs, yes, I know!! Anyway I won't be riding 2 up as my wife said she would never get on one but also want to make sure myself and anything I may carry will be ok.

I found a pretty good deal on a F3T but am still going to test a RT this weekend as well. Unfortunately they don't have a base RT just a couple RT limited as I think I read the weight limit on those is like 490lbs where the F3 is like 430lbd, correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, my thinking was after market rear shock minimum or even replacing all 3 would be a lot cheaper then the price difference, not to mention would probably improve the ride as well.
    So, will after market shocks increase the weight limit any? If so, is there a particular brand or setup to achieve my goal? Thanks in advance, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike
    HI Mike,

On the F3, you sit lower, and are more stretched out.

Also, the F3 has a U-Fit system, so you can adjust your foot position.

The F3-T has a Maximum Vehicle Load Limit of 439 Lbs.

L x W x H - 102.2 X 58.9 X 48.9in

Wheelbase - 67.3 inches

Seat height - 26.6 inches

Ground Clearance - 4.5 inches.

Dry weight is 948 Lbs.
    The above info is from the 2023 F3-T detail on the BRP website.

On the RT's, you sit upright more, and your legs are more in line with your body. Your arms are closer to your body.

Deanna
    Last edited by Deanna777; 03-05-2024 at 08:37 PM.

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

I have a 22 RTL and a 23 F3T.
    For your suspension concerns, the RTL will adjust automatically based on weight with the onboard compressor, the F3T is a manual air adjust.
    Two totally different rides, I have the RTL for 2 up with my better half and the F3 for my go-fast solo rides; and so my kids that have 3W licenses can ride with us.
    Take both bikes out for test rides. For my 2 cents, if you prefer the Ff3 feel, go to the Limited for the 2k $ extra; the top case alone is worth the cost difference. RTL is great as well, it just comes down to how you like to sit on/in your bike.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-05-2024 at 01:24 AM.
    2022 RTL , Silver

Spyder Garage

You have options on both of those rides you're looking at, I would take a ride on both of those and see which one fit's your fancy, and comfort style, then get back to us! Good Luck!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Appreciate the feedback, hoping to get out there Saturday for a test ride!! Thanks again all!!

Spyder Garage

Don't forget to look at late model used Can Ams. More bang for the buck. The RT Limited is a nice ride and has some features that you would enjoy like the heated seats. Good luck in your quest. Test ride both models and see for yourself. I like the RT myself.
    2011 Can AM RT-S SE5 Red