Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You can't use my or BK911's procedures at these new fuel pumps. The pumps flow the fuel so fast that you can't top off after the first automatic shut off. I've wrestled with these dam things until I'm blue in the face. I've tried I don't know how many ways to stuff that extra gallon in and at the new speed and volume, the pump won't allow it. So, I fill up at the older mom & pop stations that have the older pumps. If you cut a 1" slot in a square piece of tin it will help hold back that rubber condom on the pump nozzle and make the last gallon go much easier on the older pumps.

Spyder Garage

If you want to defeat the 'condom' used on many pumps look into one of these.
    https://mccuff.com/

I use the Sport model.
    Last edited by RayBJ; 03-06-2024 at 09:29 AM.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I have one more observation that I have noticed. Some of the gas stations have a slant to the apron and I have noticed that if my bike is in a nose up orientation I will be able to put more gas in. I thought I was getting tremendous gas mileage but only on that fill-up. In a nutshell don't depend on data from a single tank. The more data you have the more confidence you will have in your data. Luckily my warning light is pretty consistent and conservative as I have been in areas where stations are far and few and knock on wood I have never ran out.

Spyder Garage

Is there any danger of damaging the evap canister by excessive topping off? I damaged mine on my car where it needed replaced on my Ford Focus. Luckily it was covered by warranty.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't believe you can over fill the 2020RT + to effect the engine. If I can get it in the tank it's good to go!
    My 2cents worth, Bill
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jjc54 View Post
    Is there any danger of damaging the evap canister by excessive topping off? I damaged mine on my car where it needed replaced on my Ford Focus. Luckily it was covered by warranty.
    The V-twin Spyders had IMHO a design flaw in/to the EVAP system the placement of the hoses allowed Gas to enter it and contaminate it ..... it was fixable (I have pics in an album that showed how) ..... the 1330 engined Spyders had/have a different hose configuration, so it's not going to happen on those .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-06-2024 at 08:52 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is there a danger to over filling, say 'almost' to the cap?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I asked the question above about over filling, but reading yours, 'filling to the lip', answers my question.
    '

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    I asked the question above about over filling, but reading yours, 'filling to the lip', answers my question.
    '
    Using the " reply with Quote " feature , will let everyone know ... what post you are referring to ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'll keep that in mind, referring to your post #11.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Does anyone remember when our gas tanks didn't have a gas gauge? How'd we ever get along without one? Remember removing the gas cap and sloshing the gas back and forth to judge how much gas we had? Yeah. One of my dirt bikes had a transparent tank so I knew pretty close to just how far I'd have to push it. Thank the Lord most of us don't fly airplanes.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Does anyone remember when our gas tanks didn't have a gas gauge? How'd we ever get along without one? Remember removing the gas cap and sloshing the gas back and forth to judge how much gas we had? Yeah. One of my dirt bikes had a transparent tank so I knew pretty close to just how far I'd have to push it. Thank the Lord most of us don't fly airplanes.
    .... but remember those tanks had a REAL RESERVE valve on the tanks ..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-07-2024 at 06:09 PM.

Spyder Garage

Most of my 2-wheeled motorcycles didn't have a gas gauge for sure. You just learned about when you'd run out and go by trip odometer. Or when they sputtered you flip to reserve and start looking fast for a gas station!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Oh boy, do I! Just enough to get you to the next gas station, hopefully. Don't make too many hard left turns or you'd have to make a hard right to get that little bit of gas back over to the petcock before it ran dry. Those were the good ol' days, weren't they? "Late for school again, I see?" "Yep, I ran outta gas." "Again?!" "Ahhhh, yeah."
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-07-2024 at 06:12 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    If you figure the true average over a few thousand miles. the slight variation in where you fill too will even out and not matter.
    I recorded every fill-up on Fuelly. Had a nice running average over lifetime of the bike. One goofy fill-up doesn't change things much when you've got 20,000 miles of history

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    And you hoped that the reserve space wasn't holding water since it had been so long since you used it.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    And you hoped that the reserve space wasn't holding water since it had been so long since you used it.
    OR...... you forgot to put petcock back on "run" after fill up and was left on "reserve" and when you went to switch it, motor was dead!!!
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    OR...... you forgot to put petcock back on "run" after fill up and was left on "reserve" and when you went to switch it, motor was dead!!!
    I resemble that!

Faaaarrrr to many times for it to be the slightest bit funny anymore! You'd think I'd learn after the first coupla times, wouldn't you?!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I don't rely on the miles to empty number too much. I have an app on my phone (Fuelio) that I use to keep track of fuel for both my Spyder and my GMC. At each fill up I enter the trip odometer reading, gallons purchased, amount of fuel, and price per gallon. It calculates gas mileage, averages it, etc. Once you know your average range, you know how far you can go on a tank. I've been using it for years. I also know my mileage goes down if am riding mountains or doing 70+ on the interstate or if I'm doing a lot of stop-go city riding.

The miles to empty reading on the dash is based on some algorithm based on some historical data, and can and does change "in flight".
    Scott (slhanks004)
    Gilbert, AZ USA

2022 Spyder RT Limited - Carbon Black
    • Pedal commander
    • Baja Ron sway bar
    • TricLED tail lights
    • TricLED driving lights
    • Corbin seat
    • BRP rider backrest
    • Lamonster topcuff (2) w/ RAM mounts
    • 12v/USB docking station
    • Garmin Zumo XT
    • RLS cat delete pipe
    • IPS highway pegs
    • IPS belt tensioner
    2022 RT-L , Carbon black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I never ever made that mistake! LLPOF. Well, maybe once I did. LLPOF again!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Luckily I never did that. LLPOF Well maybe once. LLPOF again.

Spyder Garage

I have a 2022 RT STS with only 900 miles on it. So far, averaging only in low/mid 30's mpg 100% solo. Expecting (hoping) it goes up as mileage increases and engine meshes..

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    I have a 2022 RT STS with only 900 miles on it. So far, averaging only in low/mid 30's mpg 100% solo. Expecting (hoping) it goes up as mileage increases and engine meshes..
    I've heard of other people only getting mpg in the low 30's on their new machines. On my first tank full I got 40. After that, my mpg's went down into the mid 30's until about my second oil change. Then my mpg's began to rise back up to the low 40's. I've only hit 45 twice but constantly get 40 most all the time. Particularly when I'm 2up. I believe the mpg's pretty much start and end right at the wrist.

Spyder Garage

I've heard of other people only getting mpg in the low 30's on their new machines. On my first tank full I got 40. After that, my mpg's went down into the mid 30's until about my second oil change. Then my mpg's began to rise back up to the low 40's. I've only hit 45 twice but constantly get 40 most all the time. Particularly when I'm 2up. I believe the mpg's pretty much start and end right at the wrist.
    A couple thousand miles and the mileage will get better. Most 1330's get high 30's to low 40's. For me, it was 39-41 most of the time.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Having a 2011 RT-S I just want to let you know that you are hurting my feelings on MPG. But I do enjoy the high RPMs and the fun factor. The biggest problem is having to stop more often in a group riding situation. But usually at least one in the group has to pee at that time so all is good. lol
    2011 Can AM RT-S SE5 Red